Do you count?!?

Options
I was just wondering, the other night I took 4 tums because I had heartburn.... today I chewed two pieces of gum... earlier this week I put mustard on my porkchop.... do you all count those little 5 to 10 calorie additions? or do you just round up on your regular food?

Replies

• staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I typically stay away from all "dressings"...however, i probably chew 100 calories a day in gum. No logging for me. :wink:
  • saraann752003
    Options
    wow, thats a lot of gum!!!!
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Don't log them. Cals vary enough with trying to choose the closest items sometimes - Not everything is exact, so I'm not going to worry about 10 - 50 cals here or there.
  • 0PhAtDaDdY
    0PhAtDaDdY Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I log it all...
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I figure you burn more than 5 calories chewing gum. Chewing in general actually.

That's why I don't log Bacon Ultimate Cheeseburgers. SOOOOO much chewing!
  • sgha
    sgha Posts: 225
    Options
    I leave out those small, small things.
  • Lisa_222
    Lisa_222 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    a calorie is a calorie. They do add up. I count them because I have food amnesia and I have to make sure I count everything to keep myself honest.
  • joakool
    joakool Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I don't count things like gum, breath mints, etc. I figure the calories burned chewing about cancel them out. LOL.
  • ladysarahbell
    ladysarahbell Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I log everything I eat or drink.
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I figure you burn more than 5 calories chewing gum. Chewing in general actually.

That's why I don't log Bacon Ultimate Cheeseburgers. SOOOOO much chewing!

:laugh: Nice try!! :laugh:
  • adross3
    adross3 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I count everything. I have set up most of my meals and logging them only takes seconds. If I am out dinning, I don't log until I get home. That way I don't offend my friends or partner. Habits become easy and I will never forget what gets me fat. Eating right isn't just for now but always. After so many months of logging you get a great picture of what is good or bad for your health.

I eat 6X a day and keep fit and full.
  • oumati
    oumati Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    lol...that is right
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    If it goes in my mouth, I log it.. I recognize that there is no way to be completely precise in the actual calories ingested but there is a principle behind the accountability of the log that keeps me honest - so small things are logged as well a major ones. I log cough drops and breath mints too.

One of the reasons I do is because I don't want to fall into the trap of mindlessly eating ever again. I can't imagine how many calories I ingested over the years with just a bit of this and just a taste of that, a few little candies every Sunday from the guy at church whose 'thing' is to hand out Werthers hard candies. A slurpee on a hot day, hot cocoa on a cold day - all of these never really 'counted' in my mind before. Now, with a very tight budget of calories, I spend them like a miser and even 4 calories for a stick of gum isn't always worth it.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I dont log anything under 20 cals. However, I always try and leave contingency in my daily allowance to compensate for any bad judgements :wink:
  • melissalan
    melissalan Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I've only been on MFP for ten days, and I have been logging everything. I have discovered that I was totally clueless about calories! Right now, the more I log, the more I learn.
    I feel good about myself when I meet my calorie goal, so to me, every calorie counts- even the ones in gum, honey mustard, water flavoring, etc.
    Heck, I even log things like Diet Dr. Pepper that I know are calorie free.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    No. I never logged gum, mints, vitamins, or spices. Heck, I stopped logging olive oil because let's face it.. I'm not consuming the entire serving size with my meal!

I feel like logging these things make it far too obsessive.
  • spicypepper
    spicypepper Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I don't count it because I'm always under my calorie goal daily due to the amount of exercise I do daily.
  • RuthAne
    RuthAne Posts: 130
    Options
    I don't count vitamins, gum, mints etc
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    No. I never logged gum, mints, vitamins, or spices. Heck, I stopped logging olive oil because let's face it.. I'm not consuming the entire serving size with my meal!

I feel like logging these things make it far too obsessive.

agree. gum...you burn off the calories chewing it if you chew it for enough time. if i'm sick im not going to count cough drops or tums...i think thats a bit ridiculous...
  • girlypop
    Options
    I don't count small things like gum, mints etc.... The one thing I think I should maybe log, but never do is milk in my tea or coffee. I could have like 3 cups of coffee and 3 cups of tea in a busy day, but I don't put any sugar, just 1% milk. I figure that's probably like 100 cals over a day though. 'Course my calorie goal is 1200 so I don't worry too much if I go over...