Planks hurt my back

Options
More specifically, lower back. Is there any way to strengthen my lower back other than sucking it up?

Replies

• DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    There's tons, but planks are really one of the easier , faster ones.

Here's quite a few with pics.

http://www.myfit.ca/exercisedatabase/search.asp?muscle=Back
  • hayescarmen364
    Options
    Supermans Work amazing on the Lower back.
  • JBennis1013
    JBennis1013 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    My friend hurt her back the first time she did them...She was not positioned correctly. Once she positioned herself correctly it didn't hurt anymore.
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    Supermans Work amazing on the Lower back.

This!

My lower back is busted and I have to do stretches and other crap every night and it's made a huge difference since my first injury.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Also make sure you're keeping your abs nice and tight while you do them.
  • shannon121278
    Options
    Mine hurts really bad too. I think I'm not positioned correctly, but I try and wiggle around to try and get positioned correctly, and I just can't get it to where it's not in pain.
  • chele76
    chele76 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Agree that if your back is hurting, and you don't have a history of lower back pain, something is wrong with your form. Make sure your head is in a neutral position (ie looking down at the floor) and your abs are tight. If this is still too much, maybe supermans to build yourself up to the planks.
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I've pulled many muscles in my back in the past (just by lifting laundry baskets and such- stupid things) so that's probably why because I try to make sure my positioning is correct otherwise the plank is useless, any how :)

Thanks everyone for all of the suggestions!
  • mopovich
    mopovich Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    If your back is hurting, then you probably need to strengthen your core. Keep doing what you're doing but make sure you're keeping your abdomen tight and don't let it sag down, that will hurt your lower back!