Getting started!

Options
Hi! New here, and ready to get started.
Looking to lose body fat, then start the muscle building. I really want to get in the habit of eating healthily before I add too many workouts. Any tips and tricks are welcome! I'm at my heaviest and it's taken a toll on my life as an individual and a mom. Also looking for a support system to motivate each other and hold each other accountable! 🙂

Replies

• rexuss5124
    rexuss5124 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I started less than a month ago so I'm still very early into this but, I highly suggest using a TDEE calculator to find your deficit, starting to drink more water than a fish, and making substitutions in your diet. I started by swapping items in meals like veggies instead of potatoes or just straight up reducing the portions I gave myself from those meals.

Slow and steady really helped me make the changes I needed to start to see some progress. You do not have to be perfect! Somedays you're going to eat way over your maintenance number and that's okay. Just get back on it the next day. The saying I keep repeating to myself is "progress over perfection".

I wish you luck and I know you got this!!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,461 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    I’m going to flip this on it’s head by saying I wish I had done both at the same time.

I didn’t start weight training until about six months in. I sincerely wish I’d started at the beginning.

I also wished I’d listened to my trainer and not continued to cut so hard after I did, and eaten more to support the nutritional needs of lifting. After spending almost a year building a little muscle, the pandemic hit and everything I did was cardio- walking, online yoga and Pilates. My weight dropped even further and by the time I got back (and she was only closed for fhree months during the pandemic, so this was a short period) I had no muscle. She busted me down to empty bars, which was humbling.

Weights have given me confidence and muscle and imho you should have - and deserve- that from the very beginning.

Just don’t throw yourself too hard into cutting calories and exercise at first - have a healthy balance otherwise that’s a short path to burnout within two or three months, if not sooner.

Btw m not a heavy lifter, I just enjoy what I do do.
  • lucyusher8579
    lucyusher8579 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm Amanda. Starting MFP journey today with around 100 lbs to lose. The countdown is on! How are you getting on so far today? Do you feel positive? I'm definitely going 'one day at a time'!
  • InspiredBrunette
    InspiredBrunette Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I’m a serial dieter unfortunately but this time I’m doing this the right way I started Jan 3rd and I pretty much started weight lifting from day one I’ve lost 15lbs of Fat & put on muscle
    I get my 10K steps for cardio
    And only weight train in the gym 4 days a week
    The difference in body is unbelievable
    I’ve also lost about 30 inches all over my body