I have a question for the Brits about peanut butter and jelly

Options
AntiMuscleMaker
AntiMuscleMaker Posts: 7 Member
edited April 2023 in Chit-Chat
I've been arguing with a friend in Manchester about Jam vs Jelly. After the back and forth I said well you wouldn't have peanut butter and jam now would you? You would use jelly and I was informed that PB&Jelly is not really a thing over there. Is this true? From my understanding of our debate our jelly is equal to your jello ? Then what's Our (American) jello?

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I can only tell you that I'm American living in Italy for 37 yrs. Peanut butter and jelly doesn't exist---peanut butter is just arriving here in the past few years. Jelly--jam exist and are called marmelade. Jello--no problem, that doesn't exist here either.
  • _Redux
    _Redux Posts: 87 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Hi, I'll try my best.

1) What Americans call 'jello' - the wobbly, chilled desert served at kid's parties, is called 'jelly' here. We don't use the term 'jello' for anything at all.

2) The aforementioned word 'jelly' is *only* used for the wobbly desert, it's not used for anything that goes in a sandwich.

3) Jam is used here (possibly erroneously) as a a catch all term for any fruit preserve that goes in a sandwich, including what Americans would call 'jelly'.

4) Peanut butter and jam in a sandwich is definitely a thing here. It's not as popular as it is in the USA though. Some people eat peanut butter and honey too, some people just use peanut butter and butter.

Hope that helps!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I can only tell you that I'm American living in Italy for 37 yrs. Peanut butter and jelly doesn't exist---peanut butter is just arriving here in the past few years. Jelly--jam exist and are called marmelade. Jello--no problem, that doesn't exist here either.

There's no peanut butter there? Wtf

It's here now, arrived less than 5 years ago. It's expensive still. It's not a staple as in the States.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    _Redux wrote: »
    Hi, I'll try my best.

1) What Americans call 'jello' - the wobbly, chilled desert served at kid's parties, is called 'jelly' here. We don't use the term 'jello' for anything at all.

Jello is actually a (north American) brand of flavoured gelatin dessert which has become synonymous with the stuff itself. Just like we tend to call all tissues "Kleenex" regardless of brand.
  • Antiopelle
    Antiopelle Posts: 1,184 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options

There's no peanut butter there? Wtf

It's here now, arrived less than 5 years ago. It's expensive still. It's not a staple as in the States.

In Belgium, just a few countries more north than Italy, it is very well known at least since the 80's, probably because of the influence from the Netherlands where they eat it cold on bread or hot with chicken skewers (delish!!). It's an influence from the Antilles. And we make the difference between jam (preserve with full fruit) and jelly (preserve where the bulk of the fruit is strained - basically only juice). We never put both (peanut and jelly) on a sandwich at the same time though. Jello is only served in hospitals :wink: