Need discipline!!

Options
Hi, I know how to loose weight, I just do not have the motivation. I need someone to keep me motivated and inspired.

Replies

• raphaelleamazan
    raphaelleamazan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm Raphaelle from France. Ineed to strength my motivation to loose weight... complicated..
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Hate to tell you that if you know and need someone to tell you to do it, then it's NOT a high priority to you. Till you change that thinking you'll keep procrastinating. Motivation is internal and you can get all the encouragement in the world, but if you're not willing on your own, it's not gonna happen.
    Now if you create a program and are CONSISTENT daily for at least 21 days, it's much easier to keep going. You don't need motivation to brush your teeth, you just do it out of habit. Same can be done with weight loss and exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Upandaway15
    Upandaway15 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi Nadia,
    Happy to support and be supported. A problem shared … let’s dooooo it! 👍
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,735 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately (?), losing down to a healthy weight and staying there isn't a quick project with an end date, after which things go back to normal. For anyone with a tendency to become overweight (like me), weight management is a forever endeavor.

That puts a premium on finding (relatively) easy new eating and activity habits that gradually lead to a healthy weight, then practicing them until they can pretty much continue forever, mostly on autopilot.

If losing weight and staying at a healthy weight depending on motivation, inspiration, willpower, discipline and that sort of thing, I'd still be obese, because there's no way I can stay motivated every minute of every day for the rest of my life. But looking at it as finding tolerable new habits not only got me to a healthy weight, it's kept me at a healthy weight for 7+ years since losing, after around 3 previous decades of overweight/obesity.

My advice would be to use whatever limited bursts of willpower you may have to identify changes you can make in your routine eating/activity habits, things you think you can keep doing long term. In times of less motivation, rely on those habits to maintain. Next time inspiration strikes, find/practice/routinize another new habit or two. Rinse and repeat. You'd be surprised where that can take you.

This may sound harsh. If so, I'm sorry . . . but I think it's accurate. Depending on others for motivation is going to have limited payoff. Finding ways to take responsibility to change our own life . . . well, that can be pretty powerful. And once a person realizes they have that power, it can be applied in other parts of life, too.

Best wishes!