Work through the pain... MY BUTT!!!

Options
Hi! I started yesterday and I'm excited. However, in my first day, I did a simple no gym calisthenics plan that I have done before... it takes less than 5 minutes to run through a set. I did 3. So if you do the math, I did less than 15 min. of exercise. And get this... I woke up with someone else's legs and an elephant on my chest. :noway: I was so blasted sore, I can hardly walk. Every movement is enough to make me cry! :cry: Any suggestions? I KNEW I SHOULD HAVE ONLY WALKED!! What was I thinking. :huh:

Anyway, I look forward to making some life changes and looking hot, hot, hot. :wink: (is that possible?) Well, I'm closing in on 50 and need to lengthen my lifespan, if possible. So let's do this!

Glad to meet 'yall!

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    You did something new. You pushed your body beyond its comfort zone - that is why you're hurting today. It is a good thing. What do they say? Pain is weakness leaving the body.

I would take it easy today and get right back to it tomorrow. :)
  • Ashley121205
    Ashley121205 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I've had a few days like that starting a new workout plan. Take a rest day or even 2 if you need it. I had that happen after I did a 4.2 mile run. I thought I was going to have to crawl for a day or 2. But I got back with it after the 2 days. You can do this. And yes it is most definitely positive to be hot at 50 :)
  • Healthy_Hannah483
    Healthy_Hannah483 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Try ice, or some kind of pain-relieving cream (found at most pharmacies, my mom uses 'bengay' for her back), and take a rest day.

You have put your body through stress (when you worked out) and what does our body do when we put it through stress? It adapts, gets stronger, gets small (or bigger, if it gains muscle). So maybe thinking of it like that will help a bit with the pain, but if you really feel that your workout is too intense for you, tone it down some. Maybe you start off doing only 5 minutes....then 10.....then 15, etc. Or maybe you can only do 2 minutes, that's fine. Take it at your own pace, but don't under work yourself either.

I hope you feel better soon!
  • Mark4Fitness
    Mark4Fitness Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Some soreness is to be expected but it should not be debilitating... I have come to understand that gentle stretching the targeted areas will help reduce the soreness in the future. Always warm up to get your core temperature up and the blood circulating and drink plenty of water. Post workout soreness is often attributed to microscopic tears in the muscles affected by a resistance workout and is quite normal. These tears actually allow the muscle to grow and adapt to physical demands we place while training. Go slow and be consistant - your body will adapt to these stresses and you will become fitter!
  • deb_sully
    Options
    Some soreness is to be expected but it should not be debilitating... I have come to understand that gentle stretching the targeted areas will help reduce the soreness in the future. Always warm up to get your core temperature up and the blood circulating and drink plenty of water. Post workout soreness is often attributed to microscopic tears in the muscles affected by a resistance workout and is quite normal. These tears actually allow the muscle to grow and adapt to physical demands we place while training. Go slow and be consistant - your body will adapt to these stresses and you will become fitter!

Thanks for that advice. I did get plenty of water but as I was thinking about it today I wondered if I shouldn't have stretched before hand. Will do that, for sure, next time.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    advil advil advil. stretch before and post workout and invest in a foam roller. You will be able to eventually work through it.
  • deb_sully
    Options
    I decided tonight it would not do me a bit of good to just sit all day because I was sore. So I went out as the sun was setting and had a really beautiful 30 minute walk. Calisthenics will be good about 3 days a week once my body is used to it. I do so love to walk, especially in the quiet of dusk!
  • deb_sully
    Options
    advil advil advil. stretch before and post workout and invest in a foam roller. You will be able to eventually work through it.

YES, YES, YES! Advil it is!!!
  • PositivePower
    PositivePower Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I decided tonight it would not do me a bit of good to just sit all day because I was sore. So I went out as the sun was setting and had a really beautiful 30 minute walk. Calisthenics will be good about 3 days a week once my body is used to it. I do so love to walk, especially in the quiet of dusk!

Way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a perfect idea :happy: When I first signed up at the gym they offered me a session with a trainer so they could take more of my money :angry: I took the FREE session and that son of a gun Killed me!!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't sit on the toilet without shreeking for a week!!!!!!!!!!!! But I did just what you are doing, I kept going and worked through it. I did make mention to the Manager that that wasn't cool and that most people would say BYE BYE to the gym after that. But here I am loving sore muscles, the kind that let you know you did something good (but can still sit on the toilet:laugh: )

Keep up the good work! What are you going to do tomorrow???????????????????????????????????????? :bigsmile:
  • deb_sully
    Options

Way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a perfect idea :happy: When I first signed up at the gym they offered me a session with a trainer so they could take more of my money :angry: I took the FREE session and that son of a gun Killed me!!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't sit on the toilet without shreeking for a week!!!!!!!!!!!! But I did just what you are doing, I kept going and worked through it. I did make mention to the Manager that that wasn't cool and that most people would say BYE BYE to the gym after that. But here I am loving sore muscles, the kind that let you know you did something good (but can still sit on the toilet:laugh: )

Keep up the good work! What are you going to do tomorrow???????????????????????????????????????? :bigsmile:

Yea, that toilet thing was a real problem!! I didn't know if I wanted to mention that but since you did.... Good thing we have a handicap bar in our bathroom put their many years ago for my grandmother because I USED THE DARN THING!!
  • Adrenaline_Queen
    Adrenaline_Queen Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Hugs... Next time make sure you warm up and cool down after... Dynamic stretching to start then static to finish... OK.. Make sure you do these, I do and after a crazy *kitten* workout, I feel amazing the next day...

I believe it is all in the stretching.. But that could just be me... xxxx