LESS Alcohol ~ APRIL 2023 ~ One Day at A Time

Replies

• RockinRobyn672
    RockinRobyn672 Posts: 907 Member
    @dawnbgethealthy Yay on the new job and the "lots of screens"! :)
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,551 Member
    @GaryM_25

Well, I had no idea what gardening zone I was in until you mentioned it and I had to Google.
    It says 5a, but that is a weather station up on a hill/mountain, I am downtown, in the valley.
    I went down a bit of a rabbit hole : - )
    My garden in my backyard gets sun from morning to night. I might be in 5b

We locals watch Baker Mountain (not a very tall mountain) and when the snow is off of it we plant our tomatoes and peppers. I can see it very clearly from my house.

My spinach is already up btw.
  • dawnbgethealthy
    I am Dawn, I live in South Eastern British Columbia.
    I joined this thread in November of 2018, a daily drinker at the time
    My primary goal with drinking less is weight loss.

My usual goal is 16-20 AF days for the month,
    I had 17AF days in March.

I do this diary style, I normally post the next morning.

Tuesday April 18 - AF - First day at the new job. Perfect that the NHL playoffs have started and I am working evenings in a sports bar with lots of screens : - ) A bit of a learning curve starting a new job, but I am confident that I will get my bearings. I think that this new job is going to make it easier for me to be AF on weekdays because those are long days working the 2 jobs. Planned A Friday and or Saturday.
    Wednesday April 19 - AF - Planning to reach AF day 10 tonight, Thursday. Getting this second job will help keep me on track with AF days. Losing my Foster Grant job left me with no real reason to stay fresh. I have some catching up to do for this month, but feel like going forward I will be into a good routine. Soooo many hockey games each day in this the first round of the playoffs. So great to be working in a sports bar where I can see all of them at once : - )

Rolling total: 9AF days out of 19 days.
  • GaryM_25
    GaryM_25 Posts: 98 Member
    @dawnbgethealthy Nice. I think I can usually see snow on the mountains in the distance until mid-July!
  • globalhiker
    globalhiker Posts: 1,517 Member

Tuesday April 18 - AF - First day at the new job. Perfect that the NHL playoffs have started and I am working evenings in a sports bar with lots of screens : - ) A bit of a learning curve starting a new job, but I am confident that I will get my bearings. I think that this new job is going to make it easier for me to be AF on weekdays because those are long days working the 2 jobs. Planned A Friday and or Saturday.
    Wednesday April 19 - AF - Planning to reach AF day 10 tonight, Thursday. Getting this second job will help keep me on track with AF days. Losing my Foster Grant job left me with no real reason to stay fresh. I have some catching up to do for this month, but feel like going forward I will be into a good routine. Soooo many hockey games each day in this the first round of the playoffs. So great to be working in a sports bar where I can see all of them at once : - )

Rolling total: 9AF days out of 19 days.

@dawnbgethealthy you inspire me when I see you happy - glad things are working out. AF 10 is outstanding! And sometimes we need to lose a job to get a better one and I wish you all the best! You inspire me to "go forward" and not look back.
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,548 Member

Super congrats on scoring another job Dawn. I remember once or twice you commented while being on your vacations that you were thrilled because you could soak in the tub while watching the hockey games!

Sports bars have come a long way and we always try to make it a point to frequent them. For me not for the drinks, for the sporting atmosphere and the quick connection with people about games, teams, history, etc.

I know all to well being past 60 years old the thoughts of finding a new job and its future. Go for it, have fun.

Oh and yes my gardening jobs did keep me in wicked great shape. But now I beach walk. Not as easy as it sounds. Walking through 6" deep pure white ground quartz is a workout. Kinda like walking through 6" heavy snow with out the cold. I should have kept my snowshoes, they would have looked cool using them to beach walk 🤣

• MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,548 Member
    edited April 2023
    All kinds of accountability to list for me

L.S. is going good this week. I have found some substitute sweetness to add to some foods. Going for low simple carbs since carbs turn to sugar and sugar wrecks so many functions in the body. So then there is this STRESS HORMONE called cortisol that keeps our weight loss goals from being achieved when it gets to high( this one contributes to the bloated belly). I just read that drinking black tea helps block this from getting to those high levels.

Next, alcohol accountability.....all I can say is I had fun Tuesday night because I had Wednesday off. These "ole folks" rocked a beach bar until 12:30AM. No regrets. Being able to let my hair down every now and again with some real drinks, but then be able to pull it back to being AF has for the past 5 years been my goal. That is why this is LESS ALCOHOL.

@joans1976 I think I may have in the past seen a thread on here for L.S. I am not doing any specific plan for cutting back. Just taking sunken knowledge I once had on the subject and re-hydrating it. I know these things, but after years, little by little I have slipped up from keeping good habits in this subject.

On a strange note related to the stress hormone. Sort of the opposite happened 8 months ago when we sold our home, packed up and moved 1600 miles through 11 states. Sure there was tons of stress for a multitude of reasons, yet I lost nearly 8 pounds. Bodies are so mysterious in the ways they work.

Happy Friday.

• GaryM_25
    GaryM_25 Posts: 98 Member
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    I stepped on the scale this morning and it surprised me that I'm towards the upper end of my 5-lb maintenance range. I have HS reunions this weekend (local school 6th-9th grades) and next (boarding school 10th-12th). In past years I would have made an effort to be at the bottom end of my weight range and cared about it. I honestly didn't think about it until stepping on the scale this morning and honestly do not care. 5lb is not a noticeable difference to others (although it is to me). So even though my weight is up, I'll take it as a W for releasing some energy around it.

Love this story much.
  • dawnbgethealthy
    @MissMay
    I now have a mental picture of you walking through sand with snowshoes : - )
  • dawnbgethealthy

Thursday April 20 - AF - Really felt like having drinks, but I have another long day ahead on Friday. Glad to hit my 10, getting to 16 might be right down to the wire this month. Completely off of work on Saturday, planning on kicking back and maybe getting the carrots planted (if it doesn't snow lol). Likely going to have drinks tonight, Friday.

Rolling total: 10AF days out of 20 days.
  • Michieb125
    Michieb125 Posts: 491 Member
    Having lunch with DIL and her sister today whom I know pretty well. They are both into a super healthy lifestyle and rock climb, strength train etc. so don’t expect any A for any of us. I would rather plan some wine for tomorrow evening after a trip to Home Depot for my greenhouse storm door and a day of working in the yard planting summer vegetable packs.

@dawnbgethealthy it is already in the high 70’s here, hope it doesn’t snow so you can get your carrots done. I would like to hear later how you prep and store veggies for the seasons ahead.

AF - 14
    A - 6
    Goals - 20-22 AF days total
    Limit - no more than 2 glasses on A day