Very slow progress

Options
I have been recording my meals and calories for a month. I have lost 1/2 lb? Some days I don’t even get to the recommended 1200 calories. What is wrong here? On low carb and higher protein. Discouraged!

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,970 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Well counting calories is a mind field of misinformation when reading nutritional facts that your not responsible for and error in measurement from not using scales and weighing ingredients and discrepancies in accounting for correct calories in take out and restaurant foods are a few example why in the studies that have been done on this subject that the average dieter under estimates in the 300-500 calorie territory. Average being some will be pretty much dead on and others will be out much more than 500, just to clarify. Basically what I'm saying is, your probably consuming more calories than you think and this doesn't even address calories that are expended through living your life, which also could be overestimated. Cheers.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    As mentioned, your calorie counting and tracking is most likely off. Underestimating weekly calories is the biggest reason for not losing in a perceived deficit.

What is your height and weight and gender?
  • kccincc
    kccincc Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This sounds just like me! I weigh and measure all my food, eat out rarely - maybe once every two or three months. I keep my calories at 1,200. I found that exercising 30 minutes a day has helped. Now I am losing 2 pounds a month on average. I think age has something to do with this slow weight loss. When I was younger I could lose 2 pounds a week. I hope this helps you Pat.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,606 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    patc1422 wrote: »
    I have been recording my meals and calories for a month. I have lost 1/2 lb? Some days I don’t even get to the recommended 1200 calories. What is wrong here? On low carb and higher protein. Discouraged!

Have you hurled yourself into weight loss like so many do at first?

Did you begin vigorous and/or unfamiliar exercise at the same time? A lot of it ? Are you sore? Are you doing the Squat-Walk? Grabbing the railing to climb the stairs?

If so, your body is probably retaining water for healing purposes- sometimes many pounds.

Is it monthly cycle time? Your body may be retaining water.

Did you fly? Go on an hours long drive? Your body may be retaining water.

Change up your diet quick fast and in a hurry? Your body may be retaining water.

Try a new recipe or food with an unusual amount of salt? (Looking at you, some sugar free or low cal products……..)

Personal stress at home or at work? Worrying over something or someone? Your body may…..you get the picture.

Lots of things can affect water retention at first, which will affect your weight. People often lose three or four pounds the first week when they cut carbs, and then get a rebound the next week or two as your body recalibrates.

Don’t expect or even desire super fast loss.

Give your body a chance to recalibrate. It’s not a machine. It’s a delicate and miraculous collection of bones and cells and stuff

If you’re obese, you may lose quickly at first. The closer you are to goal, the more difficult it becomes. If youve only got ten or twenty to lose, congrats, your in the home-but need patience- stretch.

But unless you’re tiny and petite, please don’t eat so little. You’re going to get frustrated, tired, hangry, and rebound, then ya know what? You’ll cut even harder because you’re mad at yourself, and the vicious cycle begins.

Feed yourself from the get go. Your body still needs nutrition even while you’re trying to reduce said body. That body ? It’s your bestest and very closest friend. Treat it right.

(*All said by a formerly obese person - me!- who didn’t know any of the above would happen. Stick around here and learn! 😘)
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,606 Member
    Options
    And yeah, logging is a *kitten* show til you get the hang of it.

My husband is on MFP, and despite being a pretty intelligent dude, he goes into meltdown at logging stuff.

So, he takes the path of least resistance and copies my dinners, and eats the same thing for breakfast and snacks week after week after week because I vetted it for him.

Don’t be him. Accuracy is your friend.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    And yeah, logging is a *kitten* show til you get the hang of it.

My husband is on MFP, and despite being a pretty intelligent dude, he goes into meltdown at logging stuff.

So, he takes the path of least resistance and copies my dinners, and eats the same thing for breakfast and snacks week after week after week because I vetted it for him.

Don’t be him. Accuracy is your friend.

I feel your husband's pain! Logging food was pretty much the nail in the coffin of my cooking habit. Logging isn't my favorite thing to do, but it's much more tolerable when the box/bag/takeout menu gives you the count.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    cs17oe75dcn0.jpg
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    cs17oe75dcn0.jpg
    Thats a good graph. This closer look is usually the problem. People SWEAR they’re tracking accurately and even though they MAY weigh, they don’t weigh everything and they don’t include everything they eat and drink during the week

5kgj8ib8an1d.jpeg

• sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Or they choose squiffy entries!

One friend I frequently notice logging using entries that are highly likely to be significantly under counting eg ‘toast’ as 100cal per - that’s a darn small slice of bread and a very thin smear of low fat spread to achieve 100cal/per. Far more likely to be half as much again at 150cal.

Or ‘cheese & crackers’ 25cal ea etc. again, that’s some tiny cracker and the thinnest possible slice of cheese. More likely 50-75cal each.

If your entries are off by 10-100% and especially if it’s foods you eat frequently then that can really mess things up - hence suggesting the open diary feedback.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,444 Member
    Options
    patc1422 wrote: »

1200 calories is not recommended. The calorie goal you get depends on your stats and the weightloss goal you chose. If your chosen goal is too big then you'll default to 1200. That means you won't reach your weightloss goal per week as eating less than 1200 is not healthy. So the 1200 shows up to protect you. You've not given us your stats, thus there's no way of knowing what weightloss to expect, but if you're indeed petite and light then weight loss will be very, very slow.

Also, it's only been a month. How often do you weigh? If only once per week you might have hit days with a bit more waterweight. See the comment on that above. Especially if your last weight-in was in a part of your cycle where your body holds more onto water.

So please, if you want help come back here and give us some more information. Here to help.