Should I run or not?

Options
Hi guys, I just need somebody to tell me what I should do.
The thing is - my throat hurts like somebody stabbed it multiple times. I have 10K race next Sunday and now when I'm making progress I catch a horrible cold. :/ I feel tired and sleepy all the time and I really need to recover.
I was thinking about taking it easy today and during the weekend and not run. But I still can jump rope (as cross-training) and do some strength training at home.
Do you think that's a good plan?

Replies

• jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Isn't that just as hard as running? I say run. But if you're really sick, then recover
  • sryan8408
    Options
    I think you should pump up on Vitamin C and if the weather isn't too cold or rainy you should run at a very slow pace for less time than you normally would. Drink tons of water. Sometimes the best thing for a cold is to sweat it out. Don't over do it. Just something to get your metabolism going so your body has the energy to fight it off. When I was on weight watchers, they had an article that said if you could still breathe and weren't hacking every 5 minutes you should still do at least a mild workout. I hope you make your 10k and feel better!
  • Bullly
    Bullly Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    You should definitely not run! Presumably you have completed pretty much your training and you can't have missed much. You should be tapering down now anyway.

Rest, recuperate and make sure you are ready for the race! Don't stress it!
  • slrose
    slrose Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    run!
    exercise increases your production of white blood cells
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how you really feel. If you're tired, achy and generally do not feel well - do what you can and try to rest. When we're sick, our bodies need time to heal. Trying to push it too hard and do too much will only result in the illness getting worse or hanging around longer.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you might have strep throat....see a doctor.
  • mopovich
    mopovich Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    If I can't give a workout 100%, I don't do it. If you're already weak and dragging, running isn't going to help. BUT, if you feel good enough to jump rope, why not run?