Zumba is getting old. Alternatives?

Options
I have the older version of the Zumba dvds and I loff them, but its been 6 months and with 3 times a week it's getting old. I'm looking at the new version of dvds and have heard mixed reviews.

Does anyone have them and what do you think?

What other workouts do you do that are along the same lines as zumba? I don't want to learn a dance routine, but I liked Zumba because it was fun and felt like a dance routine.

I try to walk and do some jogging, but nothing gets me moving like the zumba and now I've done it so much that it isn't much fun. How can I get my mojo (for lack of a better word) back. Tough self talk isn't working. Tomorrow I weigh in and know I have gained so I'm hoping that will be my kick in the butt.

Replies

• Foxzy
    Foxzy Posts: 38
    Options
    What about hip hop abs? I am during TurboFire but it is more kickboxing.
  • SkinnyMamaG
    Options
    The "Just Dance" games for the Wii are lots of fun & a decent workout, too.

Try checking for updated Zumba routines on YouTube.

Good luck!
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Hip Hop Abs will be very close to Zumba. You can also look into getting newer DVDs or attending classes.
  • brittbarnes
    Options

I just looked at it and it looks like exactly what I need. Do you like it? The workouts aren't long which I like as time is always an issue.
  • brittbarnes
    Options

I just looked at it and it looks like exactly what I need. Do you like it? The workouts aren't long which I like as time is always an issue.

Do you like the turbofire? I was looking at that one last week. Have you done both and which do you like better?
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options

Compared to Zumba they are very intense. Turbo Jam in an intensity step down from TF and I suggest looking into that (unless you are looking for something more intense).
    I have TF and I love it but I bought it knowing what I was getting into, I did the Turbo Kick classes at the gym and those are right up there, intensity wise, with TF.
  • SaraLeland
    Options
    Turbo Fire!
  • lefebvre002
    Options
    you need to change it up...take a class. Theres plenty out there that will work around a time. And you meet great friends. My kick boxing partner is now my best friend. We challenge each other and you socialize too.
  • wannabesexymama
    wannabesexymama Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I just got Zumba for the Wii but b4 I got it I was using Youtube videos to do my zumba and Also just dancing to any music and making sure your ab's are tight and butt tight and your moving your whole body continually you will burn calories, I like to not do my Zumba on the weekends but me and My boys turn on music really loud and Dance around the house and Yard like Idiots for like an hour by the time I am done they are wore out some and so man I lol Burns lots of Calories!!!
  • Foxzy
    Foxzy Posts: 38
    Options
    I just messaged you :)
  • tamzi4864
    tamzi4864 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have to say that Zumba! is the only workout that has kept my attention but I go to class with a few WONDERFUL instructors! I think that makes all the difference in the world honestly. Having a dance background and LOTS of Latino friends when I was younger and living in Florida (lots of dancing in our spare time;), it is still a great cardio work out. Doing the videos at home or on the computer just wouldn't be enough for me. I like the social side of it and working up a sweat with people who have that same goals as I do. I recommend finding a class near you and giving it a try!!! If you're in Central Ohio I could hook you up for sure!!! Good luck!
  • brittbarnes
    Options
    I just got Zumba for the Wii but b4 I got it I was using Youtube videos to do my zumba and Also just dancing to any music and making sure your ab's are tight and butt tight and your moving your whole body continually you will burn calories, I like to not do my Zumba on the weekends but me and My boys turn on music really loud and Dance around the house and Yard like Idiots for like an hour by the time I am done they are wore out some and so man I lol Burns lots of Calories!!!

Do you like the Zumba for the Wii? I thought about that, but saw a lot of people that liked to "play" it but couldn't find any reviews as far as how it went for a workout, if it would be a good workout or not.

I also would love to go to a Zumba class, but in my area there is only 1 a week and the next closest is at a Curves that I would have to join and I just don't want to do that since I'm doing well on my own and the Curves is 30 minutes away. Welcome to a small town in middle America, but yes I would love to try a class.
  • brittbarnes
    Options
    Also for Zumba on youtube, a coupe of people suggested this, there are only 10 minute or 3 minute videos, right? Youtube doesn't do anything longer correct? I just want to make sure I'm not missing XL Youtube or some other Super Youtube that has some 20 minute or 30 minute videos on them.
  • wannabesexymama
    wannabesexymama Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I get a good burn out of it I cant hardly breath or move when I am done you get to pick your level of intensity I am a beginner so thats what I set it one I have fun doing it,,, I get my kids involved and they have a great time!
  • chunkyme
    chunkyme Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I Have all three versions of Zumba! The latest is the best it has improved! It's really fun! But I'm a dvd junky I own all of the the beachbody workout dvds and the firm too!!! Only because I like a wide variety of thing and I get bored easily!
  • brittbarnes
    Options
    I Have all three versions of Zumba! The latest is the best it has improved! It's really fun! But I'm a dvd junky I own all of the the beachbody workout dvds and the firm too!!! Only because I like a wide variety of thing and I get bored easily!

This is good to know about the new Zumba. The reviews I have seen say its not as good, not enough of Tanya telling us what to do etc. I like it either way really so I think the new ones would be fine.

I would love to get a DVD library going too. When I started changing my eating habits I knew that would be a life long commitment. But I am just starting to realize that the exercise portion is going to be a life long commitment too. I can't stop that part and expect the weight to stay off. Plus I'm finding out I like working out so it's just time to start investing in some of this stuff.
  • chunkyme
    chunkyme Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    The life long part is very true! I prefer working out at home so that's why I buy the dvd's. It's better than me having a gym that I would rarely get to use because of my kids !

On the new zumba there's and option to learn it or feel it . I always go for feel it, there's no talking just dancing! To me it's better that way! I get tired of listing to them over and over telling me what to do! I wish you the best on your journey!
  • Evanstl
    Evanstl Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Try doing Turbo Jam. I love it and it's awesome, Its kickboxing and dance. Very fun and funky groovy music, makes the workout enjoyable. Turbo fire is a step up from Turbo Jam.
  • classyhoney
    classyhoney Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    YouTube some of your favorite songs and Zumba after it and there are tons of workouts on there for free.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peudxIMu6B0&feature=related

Turbo Fire and Hip Hop Abs is super fun!