Belly Fat, how do we get it off? Without hurting my back, cuz I have nerve damage down my spine?

Options
DetroitLadyTeresa
DetroitLadyTeresa Posts: 3 Member
edited April 2023 in Health and Weight Loss
I am losing weight, lost 12 lb in 40 days. However, my belly is not going down. I have gone down a size in my pants, two sizes in my tops. Well please! I am also noticing as I'm losing weight, some loose skin that needs to be tightened up. Here's the problem, I am limited to what exercise I can do, because I have metal plates in my legs. I can't do things like hiking. I am walking, which is helping significantly. I want to now start tightening up my body, without hurting myself, because I am somewhat handicapped. Nerve damage all down my spine, so I can't do just any exercise. I hope someone reads all this before they reply.

Replies

• DetroitLadyTeresa
    DetroitLadyTeresa Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I stated, I have nerve damage, all the way down my spine, starting at my neck, thanks anyways. I'm absolutely sure I can't do kickboxing. Have a great day!
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I don’t know if you’re able but swimming could be a good exercise for you? If you have trouble using your legs you can even use a pull buoy (a float) between your thighs and swim with arms only.
    It would be a great way to burn calories and strengthen your body with no impact. Swimmers tend to have great core strength and if you’re not already swimming then I’ll bet you’ll get a kick out of learning a new skill and how quickly you can improve your speed and endurance.

Most pools should be able to recommend a teacher for adult tuition.

Just throwing it out there in case it’s something you’d not considered.
  • albamarie61
    albamarie61 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I would recommend swimming as well. I see you might be in the Detroit area. I am in Oakland County. Just got done with a one hour swim at Oakland University. Cost for community members is $38 a month. A bargain! They have a great indoor walking track too. If that is not nearby, there are pools all around the metro area. I would suggest try finding one with a moderately deep end and get yourself an aqua belt. I used mine today and "ran" and "skied" for 15 minutes. My Fitbit said I burned more calories doing that than the breaststroke or crawl! With nerve damage, the pool is a great place to get in non-load bearing exercise. Good luck!
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    The 2 best exercises for Fatloss are Table Pushbacks and Fork Putdowns.
  • nsk1951
    nsk1951 Posts: 1,295 Member
    Options
    Well, @DetroitLadyTeresa ... you've gotten some really sound advice from the people who posted ahead of me ... but i will still add in my penny's worth. ...
    I understand the issue with spinal stuff and leg stuff has you stymied as to what you can do to move about more. I'm in a similar situation myself and cannot walk on my own for more than a few steps. I am quickly closing in on age 80, and have joint inflammation in all of them so any 'exercise' feels really impossible. ...
    ... and so I told that to my doctor and she said ... "I don't want you to 'exercise' .. I want you to simply move more whenever you can and however you can. And, did you know that housework is a great form of exercise? .. Plus it gives you the bonus of a really sparkling home!" ...

Good luck with your issue. I hope you find the solution you seek.
  • kaygirl9
    kaygirl9 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm age 81 and can't exercise much because of hip and knee replacements . . but as others said above, try to just keep moving! And now I've added in water aerobics, which is absolutely wonderful!! I didn't think I could go back to real swimming lengths of a pool, and found the water aerobics classes available almost every day at the Seattle parks department pools throughout the city. I started two months go, and it's made a huge difference, and I'm feeling so much better, stronger, and better balance, and slowly losing the weight I need to get rid of. I can't recommend this highly enough. You can be in the shallow end, or deep end with a waist buoy, the 50-minute classes are led by qualified instructors, to music, and exercise all muscles in a fun, non-weight-bearing way. Check out your city's public pools --each class costs only $4!
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    kaythor wrote: »
    I'm age 81 and can't exercise much because of hip and knee replacements . . but as others said above, try to just keep moving! And now I've added in water aerobics, which is absolutely wonderful!! I didn't think I could go back to real swimming lengths of a pool, and found the water aerobics classes available almost every day at the Seattle parks department pools throughout the city. I started two months go, and it's made a huge difference, and I'm feeling so much better, stronger, and better balance, and slowly losing the weight I need to get rid of. I can't recommend this highly enough. You can be in the shallow end, or deep end with a waist buoy, the 50-minute classes are led by qualified instructors, to music, and exercise all muscles in a fun, non-weight-bearing way. Check out your city's public pools --each class costs only $4!
    Pool workouts are amazing. Even Usain Bolt, the worlds fastest human does pool running as part of his training.

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,440 Member
    Options
    I’d like to shoot the person who came up with the insidious internet spam term “belly fat”.

I’m 60, lost 100, gained back a few as muscle weight. I’m tight everywhere except my belly. After two or three years of maintenance, the loose stomach skin is slooooooooowly starting to tighten up.

I don’t know if it’s the vastly improved nutrition of the past few years, or the array of exercise I incorporate, but assume it’s a combination of the two, plus a simple dose of time.

It’s possible to get a fabulous, low impact workout doing aqua or hydro fit classes, if you put effort into it. Aquafit can easily devolve into a gossipfest. I can get a great core workout with Aqua Bells (resistance devices with zero flotation), and feel like it complements weight training very well.

As others say, check out your local community gym. Our local gym is only $65 a month for both of us and has a vast array of classes- including classes for people with limited mobility- as well as pool and indoor track.

My neighbors have free membership at a big chain gym via Medicare and Silver Sneakers.

You might also check out yin yoga, a very specific style of low impact yoga where you hold a single pose 3-5 minutes on each side in order for the benefits of the pose to take ahold. It worked wonders for my arthritis and ultimately, my flexibility.

I’m going to assume you’re starting well over 200, as I did. The weight came off quickly for the first three or four months. If you’re under 200, you may want to slow it down for health reasons. And do expect it will not continue at the pace you’re going now. When it slows down- and it will- it can be maddening, frustrating, irritating, hissy-fit inducing (been there done that!)

At that point, look for other improvements besides the scale: rings/shoes/waistbands getting looser, losing inches, face shrinking, unexpected baggy spots. All indicate continuing change that the scale won’t reflect til it’s ready to.

Good for you for asking for help and getting off to a banging start!