Have to be able to run 1.5 miles by October 31st

Options
Really it's 2km, but I can't convert it properly and that's the closest I can get. I'm going on a five week army training bootcamp, and I need to be able to comfortably jog 2km before I start. I can't even jog down my driveway without getting breathless. I've already found a route that will take me 2km, it's just the being able to run that bothers me.
I've never been much of a runner, not even when I was little and hanging out with friends. Do any joggers/runners have any tips for me about how to start running? I really need to be able to do this otherwise I won't be able to keep up on the boot camp and I might get kicked off.

Any tips would be vastly appreciated!

Replies

• ering
    ering Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    You could try a couch to 5k program. (c25k)
  • theradiantbride
    Options
    Just run. Run as far as you can without stopping, walk until you catch your breath, and start running again. It's going to be difficult at first, but as the days go on it'll become easier and you'll be able to run farther without stopping. Just push yourself a little harder each day, try to run a little farther.

If there are any little objects on your course (a certain tree, a mailbox, a stop sign, etc) tell yourself you'll run as far as that *insert object here* and then the next day, just try to go a little farther. You'll get there eventually, especially if you keep with it!

You could also try a program like Couch to 5k that sets certain intervals of running vs walking each day you run (3 days a week). It's a 9 week program, but you'd be able to get 5 weeks into it by the end of October and that should probably get you to be able to run 2k.

Good luck! And just remember, the most important thing is to never give up. :)
  • muggle03
    muggle03 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Look up couch 2 5k. I couldn't run 60 seconds when I first started and now I'm up to 2.5 miles!

I don't consider myself a "runner" yet but make sure you have good shoes. I went through 2 weeks of horrible ankle pain before I wised up.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    couch to 5k should have you set in time.... Good luck
  • Foxzy
    Foxzy Posts: 38
    Options
    There is a running app called couch to 5K. The key is to try to run farther everyday. I am in the Air Force and they recommended that we could run 1.5 mi before we started boot camp, but we worked out to help us train a little more before they tested us. Goodluck.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Strive to go a little further every time. "OK make it to that tree" "OK to that corner....puff puff" "OK this time I WILL make it to that bus stop." Your body can do things your mind thinks it cannot.

When I first started I couldn't make it the 2 blocks to the corner. I've taken giant steps since then. You are a runner. It's in your blood.
  • LolaVaantz
    LolaVaantz Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Couch 2 5K, look it up and then modify for you to get to your goal of 2k by mid October and hold that pace till camp. Basically the Couch 2 5K breaks down the "a little more each day" idea into a really easy format. Week 1 (which i'm on) is 5 min warm up at brisk pace walk, then 60 second jog, then 90 second walk (slower than brisk). this goes on for 20 minutes. I have to say it kicks my *kitten* just to go 60 seconds of jogging because I get shin splints, but Monday and Wed I could only go 15 minutes in and today (Friday) I was able to go the full 20...
    Each week progresses.

OH and a tip from my runner friends, get GOOOD shoes
  • dida_57
    dida_57 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Try to take it slow at first. Try to brisk walking or jog slowly for the first few days and increase your speed as the days go by.
    This works for me and proud to say that I can run a half marathon now.
  • kellyb63
    kellyb63 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I recommend walking and running in intervals until you build your endurance. The Couch to 5K is good program to start. Running shoes are important. I started running again recently and am up to 2 miles. I find warming up is extremely important such as walking briskly for 5minutes then running a couple of minutes, walk get your breathing under control etc. After about 20 minutes into that warm up I find I can run further at a good pace. Good luck yo you, you can do it in no time if you commit yourself. I like to run in the morning before meals, I usually eat a 1/2 banana and then head out. I love music, especially 60s and 70s, sync up your favorite tunes and pump it! Good luck....
  • becky7689
    Options
    HI, I used to be a keen runner but had given up, put and weight and started smoking (not a good idea!) so my fitness levels are at an all time low. I've just started jogging again and I'm doing it in intervals...so start by doing some stretches, just a few - no need to wear yourself out before you start your jog! Then power walk for 2mins (just a fast walk by YOUR standards, don't compare yourself to anyone else) then jog for 1 min, after that power walk for 2 mins, jog for 1 min and so on for 20 mins. It shouldn't make you feel knackered but you should be breathless by the end and have a racing heart. Once you've done this for a week try running for 2 mins then having your 2 mins power walking, when this is easy reduce your power walking time to 1 min, then gradually increase the time that your are jogging. Eventually you will be running without taking breaks and you can concentrate on the distance as you will have built up your fitness levels. Hope this helps...let me know how you get on :smile:
  • blizzy1
    blizzy1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    good morning. I run regularly and have taught/coached a few friends on running. If in Canada check out the Runningroom and their method of running. Start with a warm-up, it should be about 7 - 10 minutes, start out walking slow and gradually speed up within the warm up time so by the end of the 7 minutes you start a slow comfortable jog. Jog for 1 minute then walk for one minute, repeat this run 1 walk 1 cycle for 5 times then walk for 5-7 minutes. Make sure you stretch once you are done. The next day if you feel no mild discomfort repeat the whole process adding 1 minute to each running time, your walking time in the run cycle is never more than 1 minute. So you build up each day run2 walk 1, run 3 walk 1, ... until you find the level where you do feel it the next day. Repeat that level for 3 days in a row, then add one minute to the run time and complete 3 run days in a row, add 1 minute to run time. repeat 3 run day, ... Always cool down with a walk at the end of the run, then complete your stretches, you need to stretch your lower body really well (quadriceps, hamstrings, calves, inner thight, outer thighes, ankle rotations)make sure you are hydrated. Improper hydration will cause muscle cramps, headaches etc. Make sure your shoes are running shoes. It is safe to do aerobics in running shoes but it is bad for your feet to run in cross trainers.
  • journiemateio
    Options
    Just bought my running shoes :D Forked over $100 for them, so I hope they'll last. Can't wait to get started [:
  • JCTJCT
    Options
    Couch to 5K. If you are in the UK you can download it for free from the NHS website and put it on your MP3. It's all timed for you, you don't even need to look at your watch. You build up gradually by running a minute, walking a minute and so on. I could barely run a minute during week one without feeling I was dying, now I can do 8 minutes no problem! It's actually pretty amazing when you feel your body adapting to it and being able to run a bit more every time. Good luck!
  • ooOOooGravy
    ooOOooGravy Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I second everyones motion on the C25K program! Im on week 8 now and i went out for for a 2.5 mile (4km) jog last night with ease. Before i couldnt run 10 yard without been knackered, and a big pool or sweaty mess! If you start it now you should make your goal of 1.5 mile by then, or there are striped back versions that get you to it in 6 week rather than 9. Obviuosly harder work, but may be worth looking it to to get you running further before that date.

Good luck
  • Dreamin_Skinny
    Options
    this is a good goal for october. i will joing you if you don't mind. thanks for the app info.