I'm new! Can I lose without working out?

Options
Hi! So it says that I need to eat 1200 calories a day, to lose 1 pound a week. Is it possible to lose weight without working out?

If I do eat 1200 calories everyday for 10 weeks will I lose 10 pounds :)

thanks!

Replies

• Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It's not a linear thing where you'll hammer off your intended loss on a weekly basis, otherwise I'd be 72 lbs down at this point. That said what I have lost has been done mostly without any exercise (specifically exercise IE going to the gym for treadmill etc) though the garden that feeds me through the winter was a bit of a workout ;P
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Maybe. Though calorie deficit is what you need to lose weight, depending on what tissue is being catabolized can make a difference. If you end up losing more lean muscle, then your metabolic rate will slow and you may stall. This is why strength training is important.
  • toniRAD
    toniRAD Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    You need to workout too. You can lose some weight eating better/less, but you aren't gonna lose a lot or keep it off without working out. There's no guarantee you'll lose 10 lbs, it's just an estimate, everyone drops lbs differently.
  • hibee_rye
    hibee_rye Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It is possible but it totally depends on your body... I know some people who need to exercise to loose anything no matter what they eat... Whereas I can diet and loose a stone in just over a month doing nowt else.

I would try for a couple of weeks and then see what's happening... You should see a fairly considerable drop initially, more than a pound a week (depending on your start weight) but if you are struggling to loose anything on 1200 calories then you may have to work out...

The most important thing is not to put your body into starvation mode because you will find you don't loose anything and then if you start eating anything more you will actually put on weight really quick.

Hope that helps!
  • Goshers
    Options
    Thanks so much, that's true.. I should find time to work out... but it's so boring :(

Do you find yourselves feeling hungrier and eating more after your workouts?
  • dia77
    dia77 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight with no workout , but you will getting back. Take my word for it , I have 15 years experience in yo-yo diets:)
    Hit the gym.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Ya, but you're gonna lose muscle.

The choice is keepup with weights/cardio and eat a bit more, and try to preserve the muscle you have

or

Change your intake quite a bit, keep cals low and lose mass, both fat and muscle.

I've done it both ways, and would never cut weight again without keeping up on training. 6 months into it, I couldnt' do half the things I could the summer prior.
  • clarech82
    clarech82 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I've lost all my weight without properly working out the only real change I have done is eat less and make sure I spend more time on my feet moving around than sitting down which is pretty easy with three children under 6.
  • mbond6
    mbond6 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Maybe I guess it depends on how many calories you eat regularly. Yes I actually just tracked my calories for 2 mnths and lost 15 lbs. I am excersizing now amd havent lost as much so who knows.
  • toniRAD
    toniRAD Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Try out different things, I'm sure you'll find something that isn't boring to you. When you start, have something with a lot of protein in it afterwards because it'll keep you full for a while. :)
  • Goshers
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice, I will let you know it goes! =D
  • YoungerNextYear59937
    Options
    Sure, you can probably lose without working out. I guess it depends on what your goal is--just to lose weight, or to be fit and healthy also--you can't do that without working out.
  • Lucychavez
    Options
    Hello :) I've noticed that when I stay in the green, below 1200 calories that is, I still lost weight or maintained it the first couple of weeks but if you really want to see results you need to work out.
  • jazzybean1
    Options
    Depends on the intensity of the workout...when you have lean muscle mass you burn more calories. When I do high intensity interval training my calorie burn goes way up and I do need to have the proper nutrition to support it. Post workout protein drinks with a 4:1 carb - protein ratio works well for a lot of people:)
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    You can absolutely lose weight without working out, you just need to know what to expect. Several others have mentioned loss of lean muscle mass. Losing lbs on the scale doesn't magically make you fit. Millions of unfit skinny people are walking around out here who can't climb a flight of stairs without huffing & puffing at the top. And if you want to look good, exercise is the only thing that will reshape your body the way you want it to look. There's no surgery you can have that will give you the kind of muscle definition you get from strength training no matter how rich you are.

I get that exercise is boring sometimes. But after a good workout, even the hard ones I struggle to get through, I feel healthy & strong & proud that I did something good for my body. Think about how you are rationalizing lack of exercise to yourself. Are you REALLY ok with not having a decent excuse for avoiding exercise? There has to be some measure of guilt there.

I don't want to discourage you, though. I'm glad you're taking steps to get to a healthy weight, & hopefully once you've gained some momentum you will incorporate regular exercise into your routine. You'll feel a million times better, I promise you.