How do you know its not birth control that made you gain wei

sillygal008
sillygal008 Posts: 5
I have noticed that the 8 months i was on high hormonal birth control I gained 8-10 pounds and now im starting to wonder if that is what caused the weight gain or was I just gaining weight cuz o fthe way I eat???

Replies

• clarech82
    clarech82 Posts: 244 Member
    I gained weight when on birth control but I also ate loads and did nothing so something tells me the birth control had nothing to do with it
  • fitmommy2012
    fitmommy2012 Posts: 451 Member
    I personally do not believe that birth control has anything to do with weight gain. I honestly think that a lot of people want to use that as an excuse, something to blame their weight on...but in all reality I think that it has little to do with most womens weight gain...I have been on birth control for almost 3 years now, and actually LOST about 20 pounds while on it (though I gained it all back by eating AWFUL) so I know that you CAN lose weight on birth control! :bigsmile: It is possible! :wink:
  • abellante_0205
    abellante_0205 Posts: 368 Member
    we dont really know the exact cause. it can be stress, it can be the food we are eating, it could be an allergy to a food, it could be a certain medicine, its a lot of factors....
  • toniRAD
    toniRAD Posts: 196 Member
    It could be a combination of both (if you've been eating differently). But birth control can definitely make you gain weight. I'm stopping mine this month, I hate it.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    You're eating too much.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    I gained weight because I sat on my *kitten* and ate all the time.

My birth control was irrelevant.

It's pretty much always the case.

But of course, as humans, we will always try to find something else to blame our weakness on.
  • Weight gain as a result of the pill is possible however its not common. Years ago when birth control first came out it had extremely high doses of estrogen (way beyond whats actually needed for contraceptive effect). High doses of estrogen can cause weight gain, fluid retention and possibly increased appetite. However todays BC pills contain MUCH less estrogen than before and studies haven't shown significant changes in weight. But everyone responds differently to birth control so its important to find the pill thats right for you. The higher the estrogen component in the pill the more likely you are to retain fluid, which can make you feel as if you've put on weight, particularly in your breasts, hips and thighs. So if weight gain is an issue for you look for a pill where the estrogen component is around 0.20 mcg
  • I was warned by my doctor that my contraceptive injection would increase my appetite and therefore make me more likely to gain weight. Each time I started it, I gained weight, I did stop for a little over a year to take a break in which I lost loads of weight. I'm on it again now but I also know my diet up until a couple of months ago was very lax and unhealthy, so I gained a lot of weight but I'm not blaming the contraceptive, as I know it's my fault for eating too much in the first place. Hope that helps x
This discussion has been closed.