how much cardio is to much ?

Options
Hi I'm trying to lose body fat and build muscle ie tone. I'm 1.61m (5'4) and 63kgs. I battle to lose fat and buil muscle. I know diet plays a large roll in this but I was wondering if the amount of cardio I do is hurting my results. My training looks like this:mon-weights and 30mins cardio in the afternoon 1hr gymnastics 1hr hip hop. Tuesday 45min cardio and abs 2h30min dancing. Wed-weights 30mins cardio 1hr zumba. Thurs 45min cardio 1hr aerobics frid weights 1hr aerobics

Replies

• Incunabulum
    Options
    If you want to build muscle, maybe you could do a cross-training schedule by alternating days of cardio and strength training. If you're asking how much cardio is too much cardio, chances are you're overdoing cardio already. I run one day, do kettle bell/circuit/strength training the following day, etc. Gymnastics is awesome strength training and I would do it if I had any sense of balance. It's a fantastic way to build lean muscle, though. One day of gymnastics mixed in with your strength training schedule sounds great. Good luck!
  • Fiyero
    Options
    Hi,

Someone more knowledgeable please feel free to correct me here but I think your cardio is just fine. As far as I am aware, your body is not adversely affected by too much cardio. There are people who have jobs that are essentially a cardio workout for a good part of the day.

What will affect your results though is cutting kalories too much. Since you're doing resistance training and are trying to build muscle, you need to make sure your muscles are getting the nutriants they need. Else, you will certainly lose the bodyfat but risk losing that precious muscle along with it.

Here's a decent article which I have found of use.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/catcommand2.htm

Hope this helps.
  • lisakatelaunspach
    Options
    hanx so much 4 ur advice :D theres just so much conflicting info out theredays.I'm havin so much fun workingout and I'm very tempted 2 take more clsses at the gym like teraball cardio bums and tums etc I just don't want to over train in process.