Hypoglycaemia, PCOS and weight loss

Options
Anyone else here with hypoglycaemia? Just found out I have hypoglycaemia. I also have PCOS and a history of an eating disorder. So this makes sense why if I skip a meal I feel dizzy, shaky and low.
How do you manage your hypoglycaemia whilst trying to lose weight? I don’t have much to lose. I had 25 lbs to lose and I’ve lost 5 (since mid Jan) so 20 lbs left. But I want to manage my hormones better too so would appreciate some advice!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,968 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't it make sense to have small meals and snacks several times a day?

Protein, fat and carbs in every snack. Whole fruits and vegetables and whole grains. The fiber will help.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Firstly. As the other poster suggested, try small and frequent meals. Secondly you will probably have to experiment a bit with what foods spike your sugar levels then cause a crash: I have to be careful just eating fruit but if I eat it with yoghurt it smooths the blood sugar issues for me. I always have protein or fats with snacks (ie dried fruits will cause a cash, so I eat nuts or seeds at the time). High protein snacks like boiled eggs or tins of tuna don’t make my sugar spike or crash as much. I am worse with coffee for some reason, so I limit caffeine when I know my food intake might not be regular. I plan for snacks throughout the day and carry them with me, and I usually have emergency sweets in my car in case I get stuck in traffic (the key is to pick ones you don't like that much, so they don’t get scoffed in one go 😀).

Never skip means, plan ahead, and be prepared to experiment a wee bit.
  • Kiwi2mfp
    Kiwi2mfp Posts: 166 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    This is really weird this question popped up today. I got a glucose monitor yesterday and my son wanted to try it. He is over weight so I was worried about possible prediabetes. His resting glucose was 70 this morning so I have been wondering is he hypoglycemic or normal still? Does this explain some things with him? We are going to see a doc about this but I thinks it's funny that I see this post today. I know nothing about hypoglycemia. Being formally pre-diabetic myself, I know a bit about hyperglycemia. I'll be watching this thread.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    I don't have a diagnosis, but if I skip a meal I also feel dizzy, shaky and low. This hasn't been an issue for me since I left a chaotic relationship in 2009. I plan so meal skipping isn't a thing for me.
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the messages everyone! So yesterday I felt low again and hypoglycaemic even though I ate enough (or I thought I did). I assessed my daily activities and found that I’d been sewing on a machine for 7ish hours and I googled how many calories does that burn and apparently it burns 80-100 calories per hour! So I had burned 600-700 extra calories without realising. Now I need help to recalculate my TDEE because I’m sewing more regularly for my business. This explains why I’ve been feeling so tired for the past few weeks (since I started sewing).
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I eat small meals... lean protiens.. vegetables.. and a complex carb..six times a day.. Every 2.5 to 3 hours..take magnesium.. drink a lot of water.. and exercise when you get your blood sugar stable. I also find ..certain coffee beans ..the strong ones. .trigger my symptoms.

of course don't eat sugar.. or simple carbs.
  • xxzenabxx
    Options
    I eat small meals... lean protiens.. vegetables.. and a complex carb..six times a day.. Every 2.5 to 3 hours..take magnesium.. drink a lot of water.. and exercise when you get your blood sugar stable. I also find ..certain coffee beans ..the strong ones. .trigger my symptoms.

of course don't eat sugar.. or simple carbs.

Do you batch cook all your meals?
  • lmdh2o
    lmdh2o Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have reactive hypoglycemia. As long as i avoid sugar and high glycemic carbs I don't much trouble. I eat small frequent meals. Before i took those measures, ate too much sweets and had a few severe attacks, getting disoriented and coming very close to fainting. I have been careful for the past year, lost 55 pounds as well..... Though that wasn't my original goal. I have gone a year with no episodes.
  • xxzenabxx
    Options
    lmdh2o wrote: »
    I have reactive hypoglycemia. As long as i avoid sugar and high glycemic carbs I don't much trouble. I eat small frequent meals. Before i took those measures, ate too much sweets and had a few severe attacks, getting disoriented and coming very close to fainting. I have been careful for the past year, lost 55 pounds as well..... Though that wasn't my original goal. I have gone a year with no episodes.

Thank you for the advice! Could you please elaborate on the high glycemic carbs? Can I still eat small amounts of white rice (I’m Asian) and noodles or is that a no no? What about white potatoes or pasta in small amounts with a protein and veggies?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    xxzenabxx wrote: »

Thank you for the advice! Could you please elaborate on the high glycemic carbs? Can I still eat small amounts of white rice (I’m Asian) and noodles or is that a no no? What about white potatoes or pasta in small amounts with a protein and veggies?

High glycemic carbs can effect how the pancreas's Beta cells decide to deliver insulin into the blood. If a person is diabetic then there's more insulin being transported to the blood than should be when we eat in general but that can be exacerbated when high glycemic carbs are eaten in isolation, basically by themselves. If you consume rice with lower glycemic carbs like vegetables and with a low carb protein, like fish or chicken for example and with added fat then digestion is slowed tremendously which then delivers the glucose into the blood slower, so that will help, a lot. Noodles, same same. Also rice depending on the type will also have an independent effect and the more processed, so white rice and white rice that is stickier like jasmine and sushi rice will generally have a higher GI. Whole grain basmati would probably be one of the lower GI rice's. Cheers
  • xxzenabxx
    Options
    Okay so I’ve realised I’m not used to eating small frequent meals! This is so difficult for me because I have ADHD and often ignore internal cues. I often end up undereating which is making things worse because I can only eat a small amount of calories each time. I have to eat about 2000-2500 depending on my activity so I’m constantly playing catch up. Tips on how many calories I should consume in each meal and how to have food ready all the time would be much appreciated!
  • herringboxes
    herringboxes Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Hey zenab,

Just want to say that small and frequent meals are extremely helpful to some people, but others find it better to eat less frequently. Experiment to see what works for YOU.

I am/was hypoglycemic and prediabetic, and when I stopped eating sweets (I allow a monthly cheat on sweets, mostly to keep extended family happy lol) I stopped spiking and crashing. For me, I found myself feeling great eating only two meals a day, breakfast and dinner.. previously I could not go that long without eating, but I feel steady all day now.

If you find eating frequently works best for you, yiu might enjoy grzing from a “nosh tray” with stuff like veggies and dip, cheese and crackers, fruits, a limited amount of nuts and seeds. You could, say, portion out a lunch’s worth of calories on that and just hit from it throughout the day here and there.
  • lmdh2o
    lmdh2o Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Everyones high glycemic trigger foods are different. I can have a little white rice if its balanced with protein and the sauce isnt sweet. I prefer brown rice. same for pasta. I only do small servings of pasta, too much and it will trigger hypogycemic. Attack. Espcially if theres a highfat low protein sauce. A tomato or protein... No quick or instant oatmeal... Its basically foods that too quckly metabilize... Google high glycemic food lists. But if you do eat those foods, limit serving size and pair it with a small amount of protein . Small frquent meals with a little protein... Humans dont need much but you need to balance carbs with protein. Potatoes and fruits have never been a problem (except for grapes.) and no fruit juices
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Anyone else here with hypoglycaemia? Just found out I have hypoglycaemia. I also have PCOS and a history of an eating disorder. So this makes sense why if I skip a meal I feel dizzy, shaky and low.
    How do you manage your hypoglycaemia whilst trying to lose weight? I don’t have much to lose. I had 25 lbs to lose and I’ve lost 5 (since mid Jan) so 20 lbs left. But I want to manage my hormones better too so would appreciate some advice!

Can the medical professional who diagnosed you refer you to a dietitian? This would be the best way to get your questions answered. At the very least, the original doctor should be able to give you handouts or resources for how you should eat to manage your condition.
  • xxzenabxx
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Can the medical professional who diagnosed you refer you to a dietitian? This would be the best way to get your questions answered. At the very least, the original doctor should be able to give you handouts or resources for how you should eat to manage your condition.

Yes they did- they told me to eat whole grain carbs and complex carbohydrates but sometimes I want to have white rice and potatoes because that’s what is cooked at home. I have adhd and find anything new difficult so it’s more difficult for me to have brown rice when everybody else is enjoying white rice. I don’t mind making the portion smaller. With my eating disorder history and my adhd I get more cravings if I can’t eat like everyone else in my household.
  • xxzenabxx
    Options
    Hey zenab,

Just want to say that small and frequent meals are extremely helpful to some people, but others find it better to eat less frequently. Experiment to see what works for YOU.

I am/was hypoglycemic and prediabetic, and when I stopped eating sweets (I allow a monthly cheat on sweets, mostly to keep extended family happy lol) I stopped spiking and crashing. For me, I found myself feeling great eating only two meals a day, breakfast and dinner.. previously I could not go that long without eating, but I feel steady all day now.

If you find eating frequently works best for you, yiu might enjoy grzing from a “nosh tray” with stuff like veggies and dip, cheese and crackers, fruits, a limited amount of nuts and seeds. You could, say, portion out a lunch’s worth of calories on that and just hit from it throughout the day here and there.

My brain likes two meals a day because sometimes I’m busy/lazy/forget to eat but my body needs 5-6 meals a day! Also my caloric needs are higher…I don’t think I could eat 2200 calories in two meals (1100 per meal) I would feel sick! Maybe I could have two meals and three snacks. So 400/300/500/300/700 per day.
  • herringboxes
    herringboxes Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Give it a try!

Also, I think the best thing you can do is notice how you feel depending on what you do. Personally I find keeping a very quick journal noting what I ate and any effects was tremendously helpful. I found things that did not make me feel good, so I adjusted/avoided, and others that were home runs so I made them habits.

My kid really likes veggies on white rice, so white rice is a frequent staple. I have found that as long as the rice portion is just a minority of the plate, I feel fine. (Not testing my blood sugar, just noting how I feel). Same with potatoes, if I have fullbfat sour cream to slow the digestion and other beggies, no problemo.

I love pasta but it does not make me feel great. I figured out that when I have leftover roasted veggies, if I load half my plate with those and the other half with pasta, I feel okay - but even then, not the best, but at least I can indulge! Before, the pasta was my only course and man would I overeat it. If it’s just a side, I’ll survive both managing portions and blood sugar.

Interestingly, my journal revealed that pierogies (Polish pasta stuffed with potato - should be a nightmare) topped with chili which is how I prefer it, is actually a slam dunk meal for me. I feel full, happy, steady, satisfied - and absolutely within my calories. Who knew??
  • PeacefulBalance
    PeacefulBalance Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Yes they did- they told me to eat whole grain carbs and complex carbohydrates but sometimes I want to have white rice and potatoes because that’s what is cooked at home. I have adhd and find anything new difficult so it’s more difficult for me to have brown rice when everybody else is enjoying white rice. I don’t mind making the portion smaller. With my eating disorder history and my adhd I get more cravings if I can’t eat like everyone else in my household.

Registered dietitian here! You can still enjoy some white rice and potatoes. Moderation is the biggest thing, so just making sure portion sizes are adequate. One tip that can help reduce blood sugar spikes is to allow the rice and potatoes to cool down before consuming. The starches change as they cool down and can turn into more of a resistant starch. It leads to lower blood sugar spikes AND feeds your gut bacteria (making them happy). I also recommend having a protein and a fat with them to help with slow releasing of sugar into the blood stream. No naked carbs :).

Basmati rice is a white rice that we enjoy over in my household and I do the same thing as I mentioned above, let it cool. :smile: hope this helps!