Long work shifts / weird schedules

Options
jsecret
jsecret Posts: 606 Member
Good morning! I have a terrible schedule between work and kids and just can't find time to food prep unfortunately. What are your EASY meal ideas - OR - your choice of food delivery programs.

Monday thru Thursday I work til 530 and then immediately take kids to sports and am not home until after 9pm. Fridays I work a double and leave home at 630am and dont get home until nearly 5am on Saturday morning. Saturdays and Sundays are filled with sports games and Saturday evenings are another overnight work shfit. I rarely even get to see my kitchen, my teenage son helps a lot with cooking when he can but even that is limited.

Help and ideas needed. We do avoid take out a lot but pasta is usually the easiest go to and not a great choice for every dinner.

Replies

• COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I haven't the foggiest clue what kids want to eat, but I do a lot of "scoop" dinners, where I have the freezer stocked with frozen meats, veg, and starches. When dinner comes, I scoop some of each into a bowl and microwave it with some kind of sauce. Takes less than 10 minutes, no chopping, peeling, or marinating and dinner is checked off the list for the day.
  • NoNameWonder
    NoNameWonder Posts: 137 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Yikes your schedule is brutal. I've found cooking these with some salad kits are an easy quick grab. Your teenager should be able to cook it.
    https://justcook.butcherbox.com/quick-and-easy-baked-chicken-tenders/
    Oh forgot to add my kids devoure these with their favorite dipping sauce.
  • CalisthenicsTraining
    CalisthenicsTraining Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Tuna and beans. Beans could be replaced if they are too high in carbs, but it is very filling as there is a lot of protein
  • jaycooks2
    jaycooks2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had that same schedule when my kids were young and in sports music ..etc We lived out of the crock pot fill it in the morning scoop out of it as we run through the kitchen lots of Dump meal cook books out there and you just adjust to make them healthy.