How do you handle vacations and unlimited food?

Options
Hi,
I am seeking to understand how people who have been in good control of their weight for a long time handle vacations with all-you-can-eat, such as cruises? For people who do not struggle with regular weight gain in their life, how do you handle these situations? I'd love to get some ideas for healthy living when it comes to these sometimes week-long vacations that tend to throw me off.
Thank you for any and all tips you can share with me!

Replies

• LiveOnceBeHappy
    LiveOnceBeHappy Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    It’s great question. I have a cruise planned for this summer with the drink package too. I suppose I’ll need to remember that I’m fortunate enough that every day is an unlimited food day. I could choose to eat McDonald’s as much as I want and Dairy Queen for dessert, but I don’t. Maybe another thing is that there are special times that come along maybe once per year and we could choose to focus on fun and out of norm behavior. For me, the vacation will be incredibly active so that should help.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,465 Member
    Options
    First, I don’t do buffets. I rarely drink alcohol. My vacations are planned around activities. So in your situation I’d schedule as much stuff as possible. Eat a lot of protein and green veggies. Avoid sitting around in dining rooms. Avoid dessert.

I think I’ve known 2 people in my life who I count as naturally thin. They basically didn’t care about food or eating. One friend told me that he considered eating a big nuisance. You have to go buy the food. You have to stop whatever you’re doing to cook it. You have to eat. Then you have to clean up. A huge waste of time and energy. Sure not me.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I think it just comes down to your relationship with food. I enjoy food and vacation for me is an opportunity to try local fare and different things from when I'm at home, but it's also not all about food, food, food. Most of my vacations are filled with lots of different activities and site seeing and we're on the go much of the time.

I'd say in general, all inclusives aren't really my bag and a cruise in particular doesn't sound at all fun or interesting except for maybe an Alaskan cruise. I think I'd be bored out of my gourd...and yeah, I might turn to eating copious amounts of food at that point to pass the time I suppose. I've only stayed at one all inclusive years ago in St Maarten for my wife's birthday and I'd wager we were actually off site exploring the island probably 80% of the time at least. We really only took advantage of the all inclusive aspect in the evenings for dinner and drinks, though we never did the buffet as I prefer quality over quantity. I also loath the feeling of being overly full, so I never really go there and shut it down well before I get to that point no matter how good it all tastes.

We'll be going to Botswana in late July/early August this summer and we'll be staying at several different resort camps that are all inclusive but there aren't any buffets, just regular sit down meals that are included in the price as well as an open bar. You can get extra helpings of food if you wish (from the sounds of it), but that's just not something I do in general at home, vacation, or otherwise. Most days we will also be out on safari from pretty much sunrise to just before sunset so we'll be out and doing most of the day. The open bar might be an interesting hiccup as I have substantially cut back on alcohol over the past year and more recently have decided not to drink at all as I see little to no benefit from it and just don't get anything out of it anymore...but once upon a time, an open bar every night would have meant a drunken mess. I don't think I'll have much issue with it as I don't see how drinking could possibly enhance a once in a lifetime African safari...at the very least I will want to be fully present and immersed in the experience and I'll want to remember every second of it...and I won't be wanting to nurse a hangover at sunrise when we depart for the day down bumpy dirt roads.

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,052 Member
    Options
    My approach to eating at a buffet is two-fold:

Step one: start with a salad first. Big salad, lots of veggies and nuts, only a little cheese. I personally hate salad dressing, but my wife can't go without, so she'll do a half-helping of dressing.

Step two: I limit myself to ONE plate. Whatever I can fit on it goes, but ONE plate. AND half of it has to be reserved for veggies. Being an avid lifter, most of the rest of the plate goes to various meats, so I have precious little room to add anything else. Since the veggies cool off quickly and taste best when warm, I usually eat them first.

By starting with the salad, it begins the countdown clock for my stomach to tell my brain "there's food here, you can slow down the eating." This takes about 30 minutes from first fork-full of food. (Bonus tip: drink a large glass of water about 15 minutes before the meal, it also starts the clock.) The high fiber in the salad and the veggies helps to increase feelings of satiety, as does my large dose of protein.

Don't get me wrong, I can absolutely SLAM a buffet. Couple years ago my teenaged sons challenged me to an eating contest; each of them finished four plates' of food, I finished six plus a salad. But I find my one-plate rule tends to be enough to taste a variety of foods and reach a comfortable level of fullness most of the time.

This approach also works quite well in Chinese buffets, though admittedly I have to live without the salad to start.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I would also add that going forward you might have to re-evaluate how you vacation in the future and whether an all inclusive free for all aligns with the lifestyle you're trying to live. Over the past 10 years of this I've had to alter the way I go about a number of things quite a bit in order to align with the kind of life I'm trying to live. I could probably deal with an all you can eat vacation and come out no worse for the wear, but that kind of environment for me where booze is concerned would be highly triggering and I likely wouldn't last long before succumbing
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    Go with a happy mindset. Simply make fun rules for yourself. LIke eat the seafood on the buffet.. is there lobster? Many cruises have cold shrimp, lobster, fish dishes. Look at it as a treat.. not that you're dieting. You are on vacation. Drink a few cocktails ..but make sure they are wine or somthing that dosn't have sugary mixers or icecream in them. That way you can join the party. Work out every day in the great gym they'll have on the ship.. Do an hour on the treadmill or elipitcal . I've done this so many many years when i go on vacation. An hour on the treadmill or anykind of machine will offset splurges.
    Another thing i do. I don't eat breakfast .. that is where I could blunder with 2,000 calories off the bat. I do a non fat latte, which I love. it supresses my appetite and i eat gazpacho and shrmp for lucn and a great salad.
    also..focus on your clothes.. dressing attractivelty and festive for the trip..so your mind is on you..moving in the right direction and enjoying your life.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,130 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    I don't do cruises, but have taken vacations where I ate well over my maintenance calories for a week. I try not to be stupid-crazy, but for me, enjoying special food is part of some types of vacation. On some vacations, I may get in some extra activity, too, so burn a bit more than usual. (I try to stay active in fun ways while vacationing - for me that's part of vacation enjoyment, too.)

Under most circumstances, cruises sound like one of the circles of h*ll to me, lots of people, confined space, over-structured "entertainment", mainstream pseudo-fancy food (I'm vegetarian, BTW), etc. But some vacations with ample food are appealing, and I've done those.

No matter what happens on the vacation, I go back to my regular routine immediately when I get back home. What I do 51 weeks of the year matters a whole lot more than what I do one week of the year.

Travel (plane trips or long drives) and unusual eating (even if it were calorie appropriate) typically add water weight. When I get home, I expect a good-sized scale jump because of that, but keep weighing daily and putting the weight in my weight trending app without freaking out about it, and give it time. Usually, a bunch of that scale weight drops off within a week or two, because it was water.

At that point, if my weight is still up, that's probable fat gain. I know how to lose a few pounds when I need to. Personally, I'm not going to do it with some panicked big calorie cut, but with a smaller cut over a longer time period, because that's nearly painless to me - maybe a 250 calorie daily deficit. If I'm anticipating gain, I'd probably start that deficit when I get home, not wait to see the fat gain sort itself out from the water weight on the scale.

It's not likely to be a giant fat gain from a week. From experience, even if I totally cut loose, I'm unlikely to eat much more than maybe 2-2.5 times maintenance calories in one day, and I usually would burn out on over-eating and not do that much eating every single day the whole time on a multi-day vacation. In round numbers, it could theoretically add up to 5-7 pounds or so, but it usually isn't that much. At a 250 calorie deficit, even that much would be gone in a two or three months or so, pretty painlessly. More commonly, for me, it's going to be zero to 2-3 pounds, so gone in less (or no) time. Obviously, those numbers would be different for different people - different capacity to overeat, different TDEE, etc. There are reasons why a very rare, very unusual bout of overconsumption may not result in as much fat gain as 3500 calories = 1 pound would suggest. (Don't count on it, though.)

That's just me. Some people will want to control calorie intake more closely during the vacation, as described above. It's a personal choice.

ETA context: I'm in year 7+ of maintaining a healthy weight, after around 3 previous decades of continuous overweight/obesity. My weight probably fluctuates more than a lot of people would be comfortable with, because many people truly prefer to keep things on a tighter rein, and that's fine . . . for them. But I've stayed in the same size jeans the whole time, not yo-yoing wildly or quickly in weight. I creep up slowly, creep back down slowly, stay in a reasonable weight range. This works for me.
  • newlifenewrules
    newlifenewrules Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I dont know if you will all be notified if I reply here, but I want to thank everyone for their incredible responses. I have gotten so much from all of these outlooks and tips. I'm in the process of changing my relationship with food, beyond just calorie restriction, which I'm in, but more than that, I want to find a way to live in peace with these things that have consumed me. Anyway, I've taken notes, and I just wanted to say thank you to all who took the time to write. Have an amazing day!!!
  • DebbsSeattle
    DebbsSeattle Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    We had 2 weeks at Aprils start. It has taken 2 weeks to “recover” and get back to the pre-vaca weight. Your self control will need to be tip top shape or you will need to plan on the reckoning afterwards. Ideas to think about: 1-Eat healthfully at breakfast and lunch and eat whatever sounds good at dinner. 2- Only allow yourself adult beverages at evening meal or “out” at night…try limiting to “x” total alcohol units per day. 3-allow yourself whatever the main is and skip the hash browns, fries and bakers in exchange for a second veg or fruit plate. 4- pack nuts, almonds and walnuts, one ounce per day. Eat them 15 minutes prior to your evening meal. The protein will help build satiety before you sit down and you will eat less. 5- drink 8 ounces before you order or go get a plate. Drink another before the food arrives or before you eat. It will help take up stomach space.6- Start each meal with a huge salad.7- stay well hydrated…8 ounces for every waking hour.
  • GaryM_25
    GaryM_25 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I've got an all-inclusive planned with my wife in July.

She booked it. I chose to use it as motivation!!!

When she booked, it was about 100 days until our depart. I decided to take up a "challenge." In years past, I had successfully done a twelve-week challenge of a specific diet and fitness program. I was at the heaviest weight I've ever been at.

So far, it's been one month. Over that month, I've counted every calorie and have tracked to a good deficit of net calories. I've worked out hard, the kind of hard where you're near your max heart rate for the interval training and you lift to exhaustion on the weights. For weights, I've lifted 3x a week. For cardio, I've done 2x a week intervals plus 5x a week of an hour or more walk. In total, it's been about 25 miles a week. I'm putting about 90 minutes a day into exercise. Extremely importantly, I've gone from daily drinking to one total drink over the month's period. Over the month, I've lost 17 pounds and have gained muscle mass. My blood pressure has gone from high to a normal range.

Over the next two months before the trip, I plan to lose another 8 pounds, for a total of 25 pounds lost before vacation, which should be quite doable. This will get my to a pretty healthy place. I'm evening going to go tanning in the month before our vacation!

At the all inclusive, I plan to enjoy myself. If I regain 2-4 pounds, that's fine.

I plan to then start another intense 12-week cycle after getting back to take off that weight and maybe another 5 to 10 pounds to then get me to an ideal weight.

I'm hoping by fall, I'll be athletically fit and into maintenance mode from a calories perspective.

To your questions...

I am seeking to understand how people who have been in good control of their weight for a long time handle vacations with all-you-can-eat, such as cruises?

I intend to have much progress beforehand that I don't really want to sabotage my results that much but that I do want to take a "victory lap" and enjoy myself, even a bit indulgently.

For people who do not struggle with regular weight gain in their life, how do you handle these situations?

Here, I'm going to map "struggle" to not just the numeric of the scale, but the intensity of inner anguish. Plus, at my heaviest, I was "only" 30 or so pounds over an ideal weight. As you can see, I try to handle these situations with motivation and through long-duration planning.

I'd love to get some ideas for healthy living when it comes to these sometimes week-long vacations that tend to throw me off.

I see vacations differently. Habits are very different on vacation than daily life. I offer you this question...

What if instead of seeing vacation as what throws you off, what if you see the week after as what was throwing you off and its crucial importance?

Thank you for any and all tips you can share with me!

Best of luck!

Personally, I'm going to try to enjoy the all-inclusive experience and hopefully not look that bad and not pay too big of price for the experience.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I agree that all inclusive weeks are a big challenge. Also, the point is to enjoy yourself and relax, all of which mean loosening your self controls a bit.

I haven't been much interested in cruises for this reason, but I've really enjoyed resorts that offer lots of activities. It helps to plan activities early in the day to give an incentive to get to bed early, not drink too much, and keep breakfast and lunch short and small (e.g., don't hang around the dining room). Eat a bit more and have a drink or two with dinner. The one plate rule (@nossmf) really helps a lot. Selecting only the best food (@elisa123gal) is also a great idea.

Gain it now, lose it later!

Have a blast!
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    We love cruises and usually go twice a year. In fact, we just got off a nine-night two weeks ago. I don't set any rules for myself - I'm on vacation! - but I also don't let myself use it as an excuse to slack off in the weeks leading up to the trip or the weeks that follow. I stuck to my calories and my workout schedule up to and including the day we left. We walked all over the ship and took the stairs at least 90% of the time. We stayed generally active with swimming, walking, rock climbing, etc.. Didn't bother with the gym, but that's an option as well. I didn't restrict my eating, but I also didn't eat anything "just because it was there." I drank some alcohol, but didn't over-indulge (who wants a hangover on vacation?). When we got home, I immediately got back on my plan. As of this morning, I am up 1.6 pounds from before we left. Well worth it, in my opinion!
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    It’s only a few days so won’t make much difference in the grand scheme of things. You gotta live your life right? It’s ok to relax a little. No need to stuff yourself silly each meal. Just eat to a level of being comfortably full. Get back to your normal routine when you get home.
  • Sinisterbarbie1
    Sinisterbarbie1 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I am a plus one for the advice to get back to a normal routine at home ASAP. I’d also keep to a normal-ish routine on board personally, since buffets and all you can eat/drink just doesn’t appeal to me, but that is why I don’t cruise! I gather there are more options now on ships where you can go to specialty restaurants etc. so I would likely do that than the all inclusive approach. On all inclusive, don’t use a tray and start with a small plate with tastes of whatever looks interesting rather than full servings. If something is actually worth the calorie investment go back. That way you aren’t wasting food and you aren’t eating food you don’t really like just because someone put it on your plate.

• MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    I just relax and enjoy the experience while eschewing painlessly avoidable extra calories in sugary sodas, juices, pasta, bread, cookies and cake. I like to load up first on things that are filling: dense proteins or sushi. Often my first trip through the buffet is an entire large plate of sushi. Not only does it quickly fill me up - but the flavour profile + wasabi and spiced ginger quells my desire for carb-y foods.