fatty2fabby
fatty2fabby Posts: 415 Member
hello lovelys!

i have a fresh bag of basil thats about to go off! recipes please
no pesto please :) x

Replies

• AlionaWise
    Options
    The classic Italian salad "Caprese" with mozarella (easy and cheap and tasty):
    couple of mozarella balls sliced, couple of tomatoes sliced, 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (or little more, depends on how many slices will you get), lots of basil, salt.
    put one mozarella slice on another tomato slice by turn and so on. Put the basil into the olive oil and mush it hard then cover by this sauce all the slices. Salt is optional. Others may add vinegar but myself i prefer "simple" Caprese recipe)) Not much calories either and looks very nice if you have friends coming right away))
  • V44V
    V44V Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Get some pinenuts and make pesto...
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Basil and tomato go really well together - make a tomato pasta sauce and add chopped basil towards the end of cooking time.
  • Visser1971
    Options
    Hi there,

I will try to recreate because I cannot find the link anymore, but it is also saved as one of my meals if that is visible:

Barilla Whole Wheat Pasta - Rotini, 2 oz (Dry)
    Oil - Olive, 1 tsp
    Garlic - Raw, 1 tsp
    Generic - Cherry Tomatoes , 1 -cup
    Wegmans - Rotisserie Chicken (Without Skin), 3 oz (I use a bit more)
    Generic - Raw Pine Nuts, 2 tablespoon
    Spices - Basil, fresh, 25 g (I use more!)

Cook the pasta, then saute the garlic and chicken in the oil together (to warm up the chicken if not already hot) and then add the tomato, wait a minute or two then add the cooked pasta and the rest of the ingredients. Serves two, about 500 calories! Cheers, Christy
  • bossmodehan
    bossmodehan Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Make a ratatouille by cooking off vegetables like courgette, aubergine, onions, mushrooms and tomatoes (tinned are great) in olive oil. Stir through some torn basil for he last few minutes of cooking. It's great served with fish!

Ratatouille left overs also keep well in fridge or freezer, but if you know you will be saving some for later, set some aside before adding the basil and only add the basil just before serving when reheated.
  • fatty2fabby
    Options
    thanks all x
  • RoadsterMomma
    RoadsterMomma Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Tip to save fresh herbs: use an old ice cube tray, chop the basil, fill the cubes with basil (or other herbs) and then add enough water just to cover. Freeze. When frozen, pop them out and keep in a freezer bag for whenever needed. Drop a cube into marinara sauce, pasta, etc. Waaalaaa! :wink:
  • msrobinson77
    Options
    Not sure where I found this salad recipe....combine cooked and cooled quinoa, chopped fresh basil, chopped onions, kidney beans and a little lemon zest. Yummy and super healthy!
  • RuthAne
    RuthAne Posts: 130
    Options
    My mom makes a delicious dish where she roasts eggplant, tomato, and basil in the oven, then tops it with mozzarella cheese.
  • mdebbie1026
    mdebbie1026 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    My family loves a recipe I found online at Allrecipes.com. It is Green beans, fresh basil, cherry tomatoes (we loved it with grape tomatoes) and a little butter, or we have used a smidge of olive oil in place of the butter. This recipe and the way my family went crazy for it inspired me to buy a basil plant and have it fresh whenever I need it.
  • dogwhisperette
    dogwhisperette Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    BUMP! All of these sound wonderful! Thanks everyone!
  • cedarhurst2006
    cedarhurst2006 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    One of the posts above mentioned how to freeze in ice cube trays - that works great!

I add basil to everything....... quinoa, salad, shredded on top of sauce, pasta. It is my go-to herb.
  • fatty2fabby
    Options
    thanks beautiful people!
    ice cubes sound amazing!
  • missoularocks
    missoularocks Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    great ideas
  • babydull
    babydull Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Tip to save fresh herbs: use an old ice cube tray, chop the basil, fill the cubes with basil (or other herbs) and then add enough water just to cover. Freeze. When frozen, pop them out and keep in a freezer bag for whenever needed. Drop a cube into marinara sauce, pasta, etc. Waaalaaa! :wink:

Genius!