Going over calories - do you just eat less the next day?

Options
So.... if you have a blow out on one day (I'm on 1200 calories a day), should you extract the amount you are over by from the next day, or just carry on as usual?? and do some exercise! ;)

Replies

• evelyngrice
    evelyngrice Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I just treat it as a bad day and start from fresh the next day :)
    You shouldn't undereat because it can put your body into starvation mode.

x
  • RunningAddict
    RunningAddict Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Just carry on as usual. =)
  • krstal02
    krstal02 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hi I try to balance my diet. I don't eat less the next day just work out a little harder or you can eat less if you choose. I think that will be okay.
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    id say exercising rather than cutting the calories
  • Sassi50
    Sassi50 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    No...the day happened, so just move on to the next day, making wiser choices. Maybe up the water intake to help flush out extra water retention, but eating less the next day does not negate the previous day. Eat your proper calorie totals and move on!
    Good luck (and I hope you enjoyed whatever brought you over your goal....remember life happens and not every second is in our control).
  • LisaMariaCallow
    Options
    I make sure I'm super good the next day, both with calories and with working out! I've only had a handful of slip-ups in 6 months, but what has totally changed for me is that I've gotten RIGHT back on track,instead of saying WTH & blowing it for days!!

Good Luck!! :drinker:
  • nadiaez
    nadiaez Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I too just treat it as a new day but am extra careful to be good!
  • Falling_star
    Falling_star Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    do some exersise to gain calories back
  • raaeft1
    raaeft1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    It is always a new day for me.I try to eat less and exercise more and no tension or brooding about the previous day.
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    A one day blowout is fine. It isn't like you are going to instantly put on weight. Just go back to normal the next day. I wouldn't even bother doing double exercise. One day is not going to magically make you fat.
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    exercise harder to make up for it
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I make sure I'm as good as I can be the next day. Maybe stay a little under. I also drink tons of water and try to get in a good burn! Good luck!! :wink:
  • MKB83
    MKB83 Posts: 31
    Options
    Although I log daily on MFP, I consider my weekly calorie intake, some days are below, some are above - as long as overall the week is your "ideal" level and you drink lots of water, and exercise - I figure I'm okay.
  • tardmagnet
    tardmagnet Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I haven't gone that far over... maybe 200 calories. Just feeling guilty about it I guess, and yes, it was worth it :)

I shall continue on as normal and drink heaps of water and do more exercise.

I really appreciate all of your comments and help! Feel free to add me if anyone wishes, I know I could use the support :D
  • debclif
    debclif Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I always drink extra water after a bad day. It seems to work for me.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    exercise harder to make up for it

^
    That.
  • Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Exercise or just move on.

If you start that whole "I'm gonna eat less tomorrow because I ate so much today" thing, then you risk having like no calories left at the end of the week if you have a couple bad days.
  • ical50
    Options
    I have been told to double my workout after having a splurge. Like the other day, we had a family cookout and I ate quite a bit. It wasn't "bad" fried foods or too many high calorie desserts, I just ate a lot. So, in the days that followed, I just added some extra workout time.
  • ical50
    Options
    Oh, and I am extra good with my diet the following days and drink plenty of water!
  • carey1932
    carey1932 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Undereating 1 day will not put your body into "starvation mode".