What am I doing wrong?

I've been on MFP about 3 weeks now and my weight has been up and down. I don't workout a ton, but I am walking 1.5 miles almost daily, biking, and swimming. I was completely sedentary before. I log all my meals and get very close to my calorie target, but stay under. This week I gained 1.5 lbs. Please look at my food diary and give me suggestions.

Replies

• shrek1970uk
    shrek1970uk Posts: 83 Member
    What are you sodium intake levels like..??

If you eat TOO much sodium, it makes you retain water, which will throw your weight off!

Try also tracking your measurements - you will probably see a difference there, even if your weight doesn't decrease.

:flowerforyou:
  • jonniemarie1
    jonniemarie1 Posts: 77 Member
    so i looked at your food diary, and it seems pretty good... i would just increase exercise
    personally, even if i eat well, i wont see much results if i'm not working out... make sure to keep up with your good nutrition, but increase exercise and weight training!!!
  • thoward74
    thoward74 Posts: 15 Member
    I don't see much terribly wrong - but try keeping track of your sodium along with the carbs and protein. I know sodium is a huge factor for me. Just by quickly looking at what you've been eating - I'm guessing you are either close or over your sodium limit each day.
  • calimari
    calimari Posts: 202 Member
    I went back about 6 days in your diary - where are your dinners? I see a big list of "PM Snacks" but no dinners.
  • Are you logging all of the water you drink? Looks like about 6 on most days. Drink alot more than that, maybe that will help. I use a 24 oz cup with a straw, so it goes down fast!
  • she_elf
    she_elf Posts: 108
    I looked through a couple days of your food diary, and while I'm no expert, I don't see that you're doing anything "wrong" per se. The only thing I can think of as to why you'd be gaining weight instead of losing would be if you're gaining muscle. Especially if you went from pretty sedentary to pretty active, your body could simply be gaining a bunch of muscle which would cause an increase on the scales.

Have you tried taking any measurements to see if your body is changing? Or have you simply noticed any changes just looking at your body?

I know it's easy to get frustrated with the scale--maybe you could start looking at other accomplishments first (like being able to walk faster/longer, clothes fitting more loosely, etc). Sometimes the scale doesn't accurately reflect the changes that are occurring within our bodies.
  • twyrm
    twyrm Posts: 22 Member
    If you were completely sedentary before, and you are now exercising daily, you might be building muscle as you are burning fat. Instead of going just by weight, have you tried checking your body measurements? Do your clothes fit better? Your diet seems ok to me. Don't give up, if you are adding a bit of muscle, your weight will probably start going down soon too. Even though muscle weighs more than fat, it also increased your metabolism, so you burn more all the time. Good luck!
  • chris61071
    chris61071 Posts: 1 Member
    I looked at about five days of your diary and it looked okay. I started tracking sodium, you might try that. Good Luck.
  • Cruz2Fit
    Cruz2Fit Posts: 159 Member
    Thank you all. I'll try paying closer attn to the sodium and working out to a "fat burning" stage. I ordered an HRM and think that will help me get the most out of my workout time.