Grandma needs help !

Options
Hello everyone
just trying to see if anyone know of a good exercise video for people over 55 and is not fit at all and has plantar ficiitas which is very painful if i start walking for a long period of time.
Is why i need help. I love to walk but I hurt my feet so extremely bad that I had to use a cane for 2 years:frown:
So am asking to see if anyone knows of a good exercise video to help me lose weight as well as feeling better.
Appreciate all for taking the time reading this message.

Replies

• Cat52169
    Cat52169 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    How about water aerobics? They are good for a total body workout and easy on the joints.
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Try Jane Fonda's new one, Fit and Strong. (WalMart and Target around $10) She is 72 and has an artificial hip and artificial knee now, so she's much mellower! She also has another one, but its more of a walking dvd, may bother you if you have feet concerns.
  • reasearch
    Options
    Hi, I'm a great grandma (45 times), 77 years old, with bad legs and feet, too. Can't walk far at all, use a cane. There is a DVD called "Chair Aerobics". Google it and if you can't find it, let me know....I have it but no time to look for it right now.
  • twyrm
    twyrm Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have bad feet (bad joints in general) and have stayed away from walking a lot for some time, However, I decided that I needed to really work at it, and actually am starting to feel a little better. I'm sure you have talked to your doctor, and have good shoes, arch supports, heel pads, etc, if you have had chronic foot problems. Try to just go easy to start with. You don't have to jog 5 miles a day, just try to do a little more than you are now. You also might look at an elliptical trainer,, There is much less impact. If walking is just really not going to work for you, do you have access to a pool? Water aerobics and swimming are great exercise and much easier on feet and joints. I know it is easy to avoid exercise because its painful, but strengthening muscles and joints can really help, Just try to do a little more today than yesterday.
  • FitterSlimMe
    FitterSlimMe Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi, since someone suggested Jack LaLanne here on MFP I am hooked! Go to www.jacklalanne.com to get a whole series of his fitness sessions for free. I think they are fantastic, I feel the benefit already after a few sessions, as I can walk longer and swim much longer. They are a good number of exercises you do sitting. I am 61 and was not as fit for years. :smile:
  • zee1957
    zee1957 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    thank you all for answering back, all are such good advise and I will check out the Jane Fonda video as well as the online.
    again thanks
  • rachelleahsmom
    rachelleahsmom Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I know our gym offers free and reduced memberships to seniors, so if you live near a gym (mine is YMCA) you could check that out. Ours offers classes called Silver Sneakers which is aimed at the 65+ folks. I also totally agree with the water aerobics. Non impact and can do so much for you! I have friends in their 60s that go faithfully and have really improved their health. Lots of people say they need to get in shape before putting on a bathing suit, but when you are in the water, no one can see you anyway! Good luck!