WTF?! My hrm is freaking me out.

Options
So I just finished my saturday long run - 10 miles. I ran for 1 hour 38 minutes. (Which for me was my best pace so far for a 10 mile run - for shorter runs I am usually faster). I am 5'8, 158 pounds, 31 years old, female. I've been aiming for a heart rate of 138 - 145. Today, what was my average heart rate?

127! Seriously, I was pushing myself and I came back drenched and all I get is an average of 127??? Every once in a while it would bounce up to 180 or something random like that and then back to 120's range - sometimes even 122, 123. I never stopped and kept a pretty steady pace throughout - no hills. I just don't get it. Why is this so low?

I have a polar f4 hrm.

Replies

• dixedreg
    dixedreg Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    May be a battery problem. I have a different brand HRM but when mine started flaking out I changed the battery and problem solved.
  • TwinMamma09
    Options
    Wow, you seem to be in good shape.

When I run I am in the 160's - 170's with a 10mph pace.

I also have the same HRM.
  • helenium
    helenium Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    If your heart rate was bouncing up to the 180s occasionally, I'd err on the side of something being quite wrong with your HRM. Mine definitely doesn't do that - never records a ridiculous reading (Polar FT40). Pretty certain the fault is with your monitor and not your heart. Not sure what to suggest because I don't know what would cause those kinds of faults. I'd check the Polar website and/or Google your problem because it definitely sounds like your average heart rate is being under-reported.
  • bramel33
    Options
    I have the same problems with running sometimes. I started doing intervals and it helped a little. Just do like a 30 sec sprint every 10 minutes or so and it should make a pretty big difference. You're in better shape then you thought you were if your heart rate is only 127 after that long of run! Keep up the good work!
  • helenium
    helenium Posts: 546 Member
    Options

10mph pace!? That's so fast, wow! Congratulations. I don't think I could sprint at that speed for even 20 seconds - legs too short :(
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    There are so many calculations for the correct heart rate range and they all give different values. The best way is to have one of those treadmill tests that works out your actual max heart rate and go from there but it can be expensive. I wouldn't worry. If you came back drenched in sweat and you felt you ran well then you were probably in the correct range. You just naturally might have a slower heart rate for the exertion you were aiming for. Sometimes going by perceived exertion is a better way of knowing whether you were in the right zone. If you were getting hot and sweaty and a little breathless than you were working plenty hard enough. Listening to your body is the best way to work out the correct range for you.

There is also the possibility that you may have lost connection occasionally but I'm sure your HRM would have beeped if that happened? I know mine does.

I am seriously impressed at your 10 mile run, btw. Well done :)
  • beccabruin
    Options
    I have the same HRM and when mine wigged out on me, I cleaned the bottom part of the watch and the band with rubbing alcohol. This seemed to solve the problem for me.
  • olivia3263
    olivia3263 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I have the same problems with running sometimes. I started doing intervals and it helped a little. Just do like a 30 sec sprint every 10 minutes or so and it should make a pretty big difference. You're in better shape then you thought you were if your heart rate is only 127 after that long of run! Keep up the good work!

It's funny, I've actually started doing interval training 2 days a week - 1 min sprinting, 1 min jogging - for about 3 weeks. My hrm was going up to 160s on the sprinting when I first started, but now I'm lucky if it gets to 149 (and I'm seriously running as fast as I can until i have to stop). I know as your fitness level goes up you have to work harder to get your heart rate up there, but I don't get why if going my hardest it's almost 15 less than it used to be. Just weird. If I get some extra cash, I think I'll invest in a better hrm - maybe one that calculates fitness level into the equation for calories burned. It's such a bummer to see how many less calories I'm burning after my workouts - I thought your metabolism was supposed to rise when you get in better shape. oh well.
  • olivia3263
    olivia3263 Posts: 263 Member
    Options

10mph pace!? That's so fast, wow! Congratulations. I don't think I could sprint at that speed for even 20 seconds - legs too short :(

haha - just to be clear, I ran 10 miles in 1 hour 39 minutes - that's about a 9:56 minute mile pace (about 6:05 mph) - I would have to run 10 miles in 1 hour for it to be 10 mph - I think if I could sprint like that for 10 miles I could maybe understand the low heart rate - haha ;)