Well I did two days…

Options
radeary
radeary Posts: 1 Member
edited May 2023 in Introduce Yourself
Hi! I’ve done all the things on and off for years, but what always works, is laying off processed foods. I got on the scale couple days ago, I think first time since Christmas. I nearly had a a heart attack, but reset my head and decided to get my nutrition act together. The first few days of getting back on track are the hardest. I just finished day 2, no junk, no added sugars. Ima grouch right now but I know it will get easier once my body’s food cravings reset. What’s your favorite thing to do to deal with cravings? End of the day is the hardesssssstttttttt

Replies

• fiftyfiveagain
    fiftyfiveagain Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have found some really nice herbal tea. It is sweet enough tasting so like a treat.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,564 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Eating more fruit every day helped reduce my cravings for less nutrient-dense sweets, like candy or baked goods. This doesn't work for everyone, but some others here have said the same thing, so it might be worth a try. Similar to what you say about processed foods, this requires a bit of intention or even willpower at first, but once the old habit is broken, it's pretty automatic.

If evening cravings are the issue, fatigue can be a factor. We're the most tired at the end of the day, cravings are an energy-seeking behavior, food is energy . . . and sweets in particular are quick energy.

Working to avoid fatigue can help. If sleep quality or quantity can be improved, that may help. If total stress load can be reduced (or managed with other stress management techniques), that can reduce fatigue. Avoiding shooting for ultra-fast weight loss can help keep energy up (something like half a percent of current weight per week is conservative). Keeping new exercise at a manageable challenge to current fitness level (rather than punitively extreme or exhausting) can help. And so forth.

Best wishes for long-term success!

ETA: Some of us find that by experimenting with timing of meals/snacks, what foods or nutrients they emphasize, and/or the relative size of different meals snacks . . . we can improve overall satiation and reduce evening cravings. The exact best routine seems to me to be individual, so experimenting - or just noticing eating patterns on more crave-y or less crave-y days - can be a good route.
  • SaltyDave
    SaltyDave Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I just started this again, I am trying a no sugar no grain approach. I have noticed two things in the short time I have been doing it. 1.) my food cravings have all but disappeared between meal, I stay satiated. 2.) I can put in an hour or so on my bike without being exhausted the rest of the day. Time will tell(and my next checkup). FR sent
  • Mariezimmerman
    Mariezimmerman Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    If I'm not hungry at all, but have that CRAVING to treat myself, a sparkling water usually works. The kind with sweetener. Or a diet soda, but I can't have caffeine in the evening.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,711 Member
    Options
    radeary wrote: »
    what always works, is laying off processed foods.

If it “always works” that tells me you aren’t sticking with it.

Think about it. What can you do different this time to make it permanent?
  • BrightEyedAgain
    BrightEyedAgain Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Is there something you do that makes you feel so "clean" inside that you don't WANT processed food? If so, do a lot of it. For example, I've found that brushing/flossing my teeth makes me not want to "mess up my mouth" with food. So when I have a craving, I go brush my teeth and have a glass of water. Helps with the cravings, and makes my dentist happy, too! ;) Another tactic I've used is stretching. Somehow when I've taken the time to stretch and make my body feel supple, I want to do other healthy things like eat well. So any kind of healthy movement improves my diet indirectly even if it doesn't burn a ton of calories. I also come to MFP and read forum threads to keep my head in the game. Basically, anything that puts me in a healthy frame of mind also helps with cravings.