Never too old

Options
tomdelia1
tomdelia1 Posts: 5 Member
I had been a yo-yo dieter my whole like until I found MFP in my late 60s. I'm 78 now and have kept 20-21 pounds off for ten years. It's part of my morning routine to plan what I'll eat for the day for less than 1450 calories. It does work!

Replies

• BrightEyedAgain
    BrightEyedAgain Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    What an encouraging post!
  • smothermanae3525
    smothermanae3525 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    That's wonderful!
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Thanks for letting us know of your success.
  • lacylucy1935
    lacylucy1935 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Agree, I have to prep & plan, fall off at times but when you log what you ate it can be shocking! I have keep off 10 15 pounds that I have fought with for years!
    Love FP
  • cruiser6505
    cruiser6505 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    `well I am going to heed your advice and log in and see where it goes. I am 80 and jut cant seem to move the needle. I have been on a plateau for years. lol
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,102 Member
    Options
    Nice work! Should be an encouragement to the new folks who worry that older folks can't lose.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I agree!
  • poisonesse
    poisonesse Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I'm 71, and every time I think "Oh, I've got this, I don't have to log anymore"... the weight creeps right back on again. So I'll be here forever (cause that's how long I'm going to live!), logging my foods and exercises, and keeping my 60+ lost pounds LOST! And you're right... you're NEVER too old!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,102 Member
    Options
    Yes. Back in to say: It makes me sad to see folks who think weight loss or fitness improvement is out of reach because of age (or hypothyroidism, or menopause). It isn't, IME - speaking as now 67, 50ish pounds down from class 1 obese to a healthy weight at 59-60 (of course menopausal, plus severely hypothyroid (treated)), now maintaining that healthy weight for 7+ years.

It isn't easy every single second, of course . . . but that's true for everyone, not just us 60+ folks.

I don't log like it was religion every single day like I did during loss and the early part of maintenance, but it's still a vital part of how I stay accountable to myself . . . especially my future self, who really, really needs me to stay at a healthy weight in order to have a happy, healthy independent life for as long as possible into the future.
  • pony4us
    pony4us Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Add me to the old success stories at 74. For years I yo-yoed, then at 60 found a weight I could maintain and did until three years ago. It has taken me about a year to lose 40lbs to get back to my happy weight, having to go on blood pressure meds and slowly feeling a loss of functional fitness was my wake up call. Now I am figureing out maintenance and truth be told my happy weight is ten pounds overweight, but at an estimated target of 1450cals that is what I can do. I've stayed here for years in the past.
    Even when not watching weight I plan all dinners a week in advance (and post them on the fridge...husband likes the menu board). So I do log a week in advance, makes it easy to tweek if I have to. I also am a cheffy cook and we live in a rural area, right now local go to the farm and get it produce is coming in...asparagus, ramps, greens and turnips. I'm in heaven!!!
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,584 Member
    Options
    You are so right! :)
  • DawnLindley00
    DawnLindley00 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This is a helpful thread for me! I am 66, and had to lose weight for a knee replacement. My knee was so bad due to morbid obesity over the years that I had ground down the bottom bone. It was either a knee replacement with a rebuilt bone or a scooter. (And I just wasn't ready to become that sedentary this early in life!) I have lost over 65 lbs since last September, enabling me to get the knee surgery just last week. I'm currently at home with my new knee and my new leg bone learning how to walk again. Thanks to MFP and my healthcare provider, I believe I can continue to lose the rest of the weight that I have struggled with all my life. I stay between 1000 - 1200 calories / day to continue on this path. I hope to lose 70-80 more after it's all said and done. But I have often wondered what life will be life when I get to goal? It sounds to me like this is a habit I will need to continue throughout my life, incorporating my meal plans into daily routine. I'm prepared to do that. Thank you to everyone who has shared their story of hope!7wdgepqvgwha.jpg
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!