Frustrated

Options
I’ve been on a journey for the past 2 years and I’m just stuck—and bigger than I’ve been in years.
I’m switching to a Whole Foods plant based diet and limiting my protein and fat to 50g or less a day. I struggle with perfectionism when it comes to tracking and I get so bogged down. Really hoping this can shift and I can make some headway this time around. Any support so appreciated! I def need some community

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    I would say that if you're stuck, maybe being as accurate as possible can be a good thing.

Can't fix what we can't quantify.

I hope you didn't mean you were limiting protein to 50g a day, that's pretty low.

Just do what the setup tells you, set it to, "Lose 1 pound per week," and be as honest as you can be with the "Activity Level."

Log food using a digital food scale set to grams.

Learn how to log food: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

Then give it a month before you do any big adjustments.

Getting a base calorie number is the first thing you can do, and you do that by logging for a month...then see how your weight has responded and adjust at that time if necessary.

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    You need to re adjust your numbers as you aren't in a weekly calorie deficit. Miscounting, too high of a lifestyle level, eating back too many exercise calories. These are all reasons that you aren't losing, either 1 or a combo of the 3.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    There are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

I agree that if you meant you are shooting for 50g of protein per day, that seems low.

Here's a reputable protein calculator:

https://examine.com/nutrition/protein-intake-calculator/

I shoot for 500 calories of exercise per day, and when I achieve that, using the MFP default of 20% protein aligns with the protein grams recommendation from examine. If I were completely sedentary, I'd need to bump it up to 30%.
  • JLG1986
    JLG1986 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Digital food scale is a great investment if you don’t have one yet! It keeps me honest and aware of my exact calories in.

Out of curiosity, why are you planning to limit your protein and fat intake? I’m far from an expert on macros, but that seems low on the protein.
  • 1linde
    1linde Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    See how that works for you as keep trying until you find what works for your body. I was stuck, couldn't lose weight after going vegan for 6 months, no meats. I think the substitutes were worse for me personally and the vegetables bothered me (IBS). I am doing low carb more than Keto but really upped my protein struggling to get 100 grams a day within my 1200 calorie allotment for myself and after 95 days down 20 lbs which to me is slow progress but welcome progress. I broke my sugar addiction really easily but think because so disheartened by no progress, still eating organic, as clean as I can, and grass fed beef, etc. If plant based doesn't give you progress in a few weeks may want to switch it up again. I tried three different things before found this is working now for me - the calorie counting is what I think I really needed as well as giving up breads, rice, pasta and sugar and eating fats and protein to keep me full. I still can' believe how much easier it was than I thought it would be. The other thing that helps me is focusing on a pound a week and not the big picture as wanting to lose 70 plus pounds is daunting. Wishing you much success and just focus on how good you will look in.a few month even with modest reduction weekly. I agree on watching your protein intake as seems very low and I make no progress on low protein myself.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Obviously your eating too much and satiety can be a big factor in that group.....it's difficult to be hungry all the time where your compelled to eat, never mind being in that state for years. Hope you find a solution. Cheers
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,857 Member
    Options
    Limiting fat and protein too far is potentially counterproductive. If you're an average-sized woman, 50g fat may be fine. For someone trying to lose weight (among others), 50g protein is potentially too low. (As an average-sized woman, I shoot for twice that as a minimum, FWIW. YMMV.)

There are exceptions, but many people find one or the other of protein or fats especially filling. Feeling full makes it easier to stick with reduced calories long enough to lose a meaningful total amount of weight.

If you're trying to stay under 50g protein, you're possibly even below the USDA recommended minimums, which are more about avoiding actual malnutrition than about achieving optimal health. Recent research suggests the US recommended value is too low for some subgroups, one of which is people trying to lose weight.

Too-low protein risks losing more than minimal muscle mass alongside fat loss. Reduced muscle mass can gradually reduce resting calorie burn, though that effect is pretty small according to researchers. Perhaps more importantly, lowered muscle mass can make it more natural-feeling to move less in daily life, and exercise - if at all - at lower intensity. Even if it's subtle, that reduction in calorie burn can be meaningful. (Research suggests that fidgety people can burn up to a couple of hundred calories more daily than otherwise similar non-fidgety ones. Most of us wouldn't even notice if we had less of that among other types of spontaneous motion in our behavior.)

In addition to that, protein has a higher TEF (thermic effect of food) than the other macronutrients. That means that X grams of protein require more calories to be digested, metabolized, and absorbed by the body, compared with an equal amount of fats or carbs. This, too, is a small difference in the big picture, but it's another thing that potentially makes extremely low protein intake a step in the wrong direction for someone who wants to lose weight.

Yes, weight loss is about calorie intake, and nutrition is a side show in that. But sub-par nutrition has down-sides in an indirect way for weight management, via fatigue, strength, energy level, and that sort of thing . . . not to mention that many people care about their health, not exclusively about becoming thinner.

I'd encourage you to estimate a protein and fat goal for health, and hit/exceed those goals, then fill in the rest of your calorie budget with those nice varied, colorful veggies and fruits. While I don't eat WFPB specifically, I do eat mainly whole foods, and have been vegetarian for 48+ years. That makes me believe adequate protein and fats are achievable in a WFPB context. WFPB has no particular magic for weight loss, IMO (based on any sound research I've seen), unless it helps you feel particularly full and contented (making it easier to stick with reasonable calories), or give you the thriving good health and energy that leads to relatively higher daily life and exercise calorie expenditure.

Are you new to WFPB? In case you haven't run across it, this is a good evidence-based site for information about plant-based nutrition:

https://veganhealth.org/

Its writers are registered dietitians who are themselves vegan. It's not as biased - to say the least - as some of the blogosphere's gee-whiz vegan advocacy sites. Some of those even try to tell people that they don't need to think about nutrition at all, because plants are Just That Good. That's utterly false.

Nutrition is just as important a consideration for WFPB eaters as anyone else . . . probably more so, because some essential nutrients must be supplemented (B-12), and others require attention beyond what an average omnivore need to pay (such as protein quality in terms of essential amino acid (EAA) balance and bioavailability).

Best wishes for success!