Vegan diet !!

Options
2»

Replies

• marymissmary
    marymissmary Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've been vegan for 12 years, and vegetarian for 20 (when did I get so old?). When I first became vegan, I lost 30 lbs! Mostly because I didn't know how to cook :).

Good luck with your vegan journey! Let me know if you have any specific questions.
  • NoDairy
    Options
    Yay! I started two days ago. I can tell you it makes you feel wonderful, i suggest you dont count calories and just eat those veggies and fruits as u like. I was a bad snacker and all of a sudden i dont crave it. Ive been cooking yummy tasting food and baking cakes for my husbamd who is not vegan and i have not wanted to eat or taste it, its so weird and fun
    GOOD LUCK
  • 805_blondie
    805_blondie Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Peta has great vegan recipes. I just came back to being a vegan for my son. I'm having to re-learn what I use to eat. Try to get protein at every meal, whether it's beans, nuts, or soy. Make sure you take b12 as well. I also have this wonderful cookbook called "1000 Vegetarian Recipes" and everything I have ever made from there has turned out so delicious. The book has numerous vegan recipes and you cam always substitute. Add me if you want. I'm looking for other vegans to share this journey with.
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I've been vegan for almost two years now. I feel GREAT, have no desire for meat or dairy items. I wasn't a huge meat eater before, did love fish though and really loved my dairy. I thought I would crave it, but I haven't. My cholesterol (which was over 200 since age 25) is now 168 after just 18 months on a vegan diet.

Phlumpet sent a great list for you and I definitely love the Fat Free Vegan blog. I love trying new recipes and have been on a new recipe "binge" lately - everything I've made for the last month has been never-before-tried recipes and every one of them has been excellent!

The thing that I did to make my life easier (because I work at home, homeschool my teenage daughters, and have two small home-based businesses) is make out menus and complete grocery lists to go with each of them and put them on the computer. I printed out copies and put them in a binder. When it is time to go grocery shopping, I decide which menu I want and just print out a grocery list. Then I check off things I already have in my pantry like seasonings or staples and go off to the store. It took a while in the beginning, but the time savings afterwards has been huge.

I do not eat a ton of tofu or meat-substitutes. I do love tofu, but only have it perhaps once a week. I had to learn how to properly prepare it, though. Before I hated it. :^) I will make substitutes to most of our "old" meals because I was using meat as an ingredient rather than eating how I was raised (lots of meat and starch, token veggie on the side). Lentils make a yummy taco meat substitute. I've had requests from carnivores for my vegan chili.
  • 805_blondie
    805_blondie Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I want to personally thank you for those tips. That helps me a lot!
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Go to the fatfreevegan.com ... she always has really great recipes, and I think she provides nutritional info on all of them, which is INCREDIBLY helpful!

Enjoy!

I ditto this recommendation. These are some of the best recipes I have found.
    Double ditto this website. Plus www.vegweb.com
    Good luck at your new journey! I've been vegan for 6 years and I know it is possible to get off the cheese!
  • cfhard
    cfhard Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    VegWeb, fatfreevegan.com, theppk.com, happyherbivore.com and melomeals.blogspot.com have all been fantastic for me. I also highly recommend Isa's Appetite for Reduction cookbook, heck, all of her cookbooks! Also, not always low fat/calorie, but a fun project and maybe helpful if you're having cravings for old standards, this blog was started by a couple who were inspired by the Julie & Julia movie, they're attempting to veganize the Betty Crocker cookbook: http://www.meettheshannons.net/p/betty-crocker-project.html

Good luck!