Is it dangerous to excercise with sore muscles?

Options
So I've just recently got back into a healthy lifestyle, and yesterday was the first day I have worked out in over a year (a 40 minute pilates/weight video). My muscles are fairly sore today, mostly in my chest and the back of my arms. However, today is my only day off work and I was really looking forward to working out again - is it dangerous/bad to work out the same muscles if they're sore? Thanks!

Replies

• stephaniezoundi
    stephaniezoundi Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    I hope not cause I do it all the time! Perhaps do something that focuses on other muscle groups. The movement should help relieve some of the ache and make sure you give them a good stretch!
  • soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Not normal soreness. You're going to be sore for a while. Try working a different muscle group tomorrow. If you worked upper body more the other day work you're lower body more tomorrow then you're core muscles the next day or focus on cardio one of those days. You just need to work through the soreness right now. Good luck. You can do it!!
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    It might actually help your muscles to be less sore, just listen to your body while working out and stop if it feels wrong. I would think it would only be dangerous if it meant you couldn't keep proper form while doing the exercises or if it was likely to cause you an injury. Perhaps do something that is gentler on the sore muscles and works the others a bit more but make sure you listen to your body and you'll be fine :smile:
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    no pain no gain thats what my moto is!! lol :devil:
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    No, but it isn't wise to neglect muscle recovery.
  • icewyche
    icewyche Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you mean by "sore". If you're talking mild achiness because the muscles just aren't used to exertion, no; in fact, a good, careful workout can help relieve some of the soreness and loosen up the muscles. But if you're feeling sharp or acute pain, it's better to rest (and of course, see a doctor if necessary).
  • TainaLeirmoe10
    TainaLeirmoe10 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    So I've just recently got back into a healthy lifestyle, and yesterday was the first day I have worked out in over a year (a 40 minute pilates/weight video). My muscles are fairly sore today, mostly in my chest and the back of my arms. However, today is my only day off work and I was really looking forward to working out again - is it dangerous/bad to work out the same muscles if they're sore? Thanks!

There isnt anything wrong with sore muscles, you should prob try to take a supplement or drink protein to help recover properly (cellmass night and recovery is excellent to take - it helps build muscles and recover... drink it before going to bed. youll see/feel a difference in the morning, i promise). If you dont, you will eventually rip or tear something and have to go through a much longer recovery period like I had to. Sore muscles come from muscles repairing themselves, this usually takes place while your asleep, thats why you go to bed feeling fine and wake up tight and hurting. Try stretching in warm temp, like the sauna or when taking a warm shower, for about 10min before and after a workout.

Again supplements are key, they will help you recover from the aches and pains of lifting

I hope this helps!!!!
  • theworldatlarge
    Options
    I may have chosen the wrong words....not just sore muscles. I can work out on sore muscles. I think just after so long of not exercising and then jumping right back in, I may have overdone it. My chest is really sore, like it was very hard to sit up in bed this morning. I wanted to do the same video I did yesterday.....but now thinking it may be better to just go for a walk instead..haha
  • jensway
    Options
    Your muscles will feel better if you work out today....it will loosen them up, I do always try to rotate wich muscles I work so I am not as sore.
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    This is what's referred to as DOMS, and I hate to say it, but you may be even more sore tomorrow. Some light exercise may actually make you feel better. Just don't over do it. If you start cramping, stop and do something else. Even just walking on the treadmill will be good, and may be even better for you than lifting if you feel you need to workout today.

The effects lessen more the more often you work out, but if you stop working out for a week or so, the DOMS comes back after your next workout. That's a good reason for having consistant workouts.

Hope this helps.
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Soreness is to be expected, but if it's real pain, stop, especially if a bone is sticking out :-)