Low Thyroid!!!

Options
Well, I had posted about exercising, eating right and GAINING weight instead of losing - significant amount of weight. Just got my blood tests back. I have a very low thyroid and, for a female, almost no male hormone at all (we all have it - should have about 30-80 count but I only have 4!!!).

Add in all the fatigue, body aches, fuzzy memory feeling, unable to lose, and now I have a reason it's been happening. I'm relieved but also kind of scared. I have to take thyroid medication and DHEA. I'm only worried now about side effects of these. Anyone else have this? The thyroid med is Levathroid. I read good and bad about it already. My local friends who have thyroid issues are quite pleased with their meds - one of which is the above.

Anything I have to change in my diet? I've read all sorts of things and some of it is conflicting. I want real experiences. I have celiac disease and an allergy to dairy, intolerance to lactose (and, yes, I read that levathroid has lactose but the trace amount that would be in a pill wouldn't bother me).

Thanks for any insight!!!

S.

Replies

• Chainsaw_Flowerchild
    Options
    My wife had to have her thyriod removed 4 years ago and hasn't had any adverse side effects to the procedure. She eats everything that she could before and still avoids the things that she did before. I havn't noticed any difference other than an increased energy level.
  • szczepj
    szczepj Posts: 422
    Options
    Hey there! I have hypothyroidism, which is low thyroid function. I've been on pills for going on 4 years now. Make sure you take your medication every day as described. And get blood work done as recommended. I have had no adverse affects from the medication and for the first time in four years my thyroid levels are normal. You will have to work very hard to lose weight and keep it off but it works.

As for foods not to eat the only thing I've heard that is bad for the thyroid is soy. Other than that I eat whatever I want, my highest weight was 214 and I am down to 185.6 today. Over twenty pounds of that has been lost in the last 50 days. :)
  • starrchelly
    Options
    I have a hypothyroid as well. I've been on Levothyroxine since 2005 and have noticed no side effects. I'm not sure why it's been so hard for me to lose weight, but so far, MFP has been helping a lot! It's probably the combination of anti-depressants, birth control, etc that I'm on. It's not impossible to lose weight, but definitely a little harder. Take your medication everyday as directed and get your blood work done regularly too! Good luck!
  • IAmABetterMe
    IAmABetterMe Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm new and I am Hypo also =) I am on Armor....... which I LOVE! LOVE LOVE I now only sleep 8-9 hrs vs 12-14 =/ I have had no side effect, but the side effects if you don't take your thyroid can be devestating. You may want to check out Mary Shomon's books and online site + the online Stop the Thyroid Madness... it is PACKED with GREAT INFO! and good luck!

Kim the Newbie
  • jlg05001
    jlg05001 Posts: 21
    Options
    Listen carefully-

When I decided to lose weight, I was TERRIFIED because I have Hasimotos (underactive) thyroid disease and type 1 diabetes (onset, not because I am overweight, pregnant, old, etc.). I went on the internet and read literally everything I could pull up on weight loss and thyroid disease. I saw stuff about how I should change my medicine (synthroid/levothyroxin) to armor or all these other things people were suggesting. Please do not put yourself throught what I did. I spoke to my endocrinologist, had my metabolism tested, etc. What it HONESTLY all comes down to is doing the RIGHT thing the RIGHT way. It sucks more than anything to say it, and even more to have to live it, but you will only lose weight by eating healthy and not taking any shortcuts or cutting corners. Like many people above have said, it's definitely not going to be easy ( I speak from personal experience), but it is POSSIBLE. It has taken me about 3 months to lose 15 pounds, and some weeks the scale doesnt budge. A person with thyroid problems needs an extraordinary amount of willpower and drive to lose weight, so be vigilant!
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all this reassurance. I've lost 50 pounds before the thyroid issue but suddenly had a weight gain, which was worriesome. I went for menopause tests and he also had my thyroid and other areas checked. That's when the low t and thyroid was discovered.

I'm waiting for the med to come in right now. I haven't changed my eating habits that helped me lose the weight, but have been so tired that I've cut classes here and there and skipped the gym. Hoping that I'll be able to resume full, normal activities soon!!
  • msiamjan
    msiamjan Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I've been on levathroid for 25 years. When I was first diagnosed I was having, among other things, unexplained weight gain. Once I got on meds that stopped and no bad side effects. Still have to work VERY hard to lose, but at least it became possible. It's pretty common, and the meds are not expensive, so it's not as bad as it seems when you first get told you have a chronic condition. I was initially a little freaked, but it's not such a big deal.
  • uscgirl211
    uscgirl211 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi, I was wondering if you all could tell me what each of the thyroid test mean?

My T4 Free (Direct) is .95 the range is .82 - 1.77 is it LOWER the # the hyper you are?

My TSH is 1.360 the range is .45 - 4.50 is it the LOWER the # the hyper you are?

My Triiodothyronine, Free Serum is 2.0 the range is 2.0 - 4.4 is the LOWER the # the hyper you are?

HELP! I just dont understand what each level means?
  • eclecticdeb
    eclecticdeb Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doctor, but I do suffer from Hashimoto's -- so I know a little about the numbers.
    Yours seem to be in the fairly "normal" range. For example: When I was diagnosed, my TSH was 28 (very hypo).
    Oh, if your doctor won't sit with you and explain the tests and the numbers, find another doctor.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I have been on Synthroid/Levothyroxine starting around a year ago. We are still playing around with generic/brand and the dosage. I have also gained about 10 pounds this year. :( I am working hard to get back on track. Would love tips for those of you who have been diagnosed hypothyroid longer.
  • christleaguilera
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Graves disease 3 years ago and choose the radioactive iodine treatment to "kill" my thyroid. Now without my meds I obviously have low thyroid. I can definately tell when I need to have blood work to check my levels as I get very irritable, I have more of an appetite that I cant control and I get exhausted! The same reasons why I went to my doctor in the first place. I havnt noticed any issues with my meds since starting about 6 weeks after my treatment. I did lose a lot of hair and my skin gets very dry very easy now. I've been assured that my hair will grow back--I've been told it will take 7 years. But meds have been a great thing for me.
  • kgraham101
    kgraham101 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I found I have to wait 2-3 hours after taking my meds before I can eat anything. I found I feel better if I do. I wait 4 hours before taking my vitamins.My Dr said the vitamins affected the synthroid. I was told to avoid soy that it would counter the effect of the synthroid. As long as my DR has me on the right dose I lose weight normally. This is my first year of being on meds for hypothyroidism and I have gone from 165 lbs to 140lbs. I know its time to have my levels checked since I have been at 140lbs for 2 months now. :happy:
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I found I have to wait 2-3 hours after taking my meds before I can eat anything. I found I feel better if I do. I wait 4 hours before taking my vitamins.My Dr said the vitamins affected the synthroid. I was told to avoid soy that it would counter the effect of the synthroid. As long as my DR has me on the right dose I lose weight normally. This is my first year of being on meds for hypothyroidism and I have gone from 165 lbs to 140lbs. I know its time to have my levels checked since I have been at 140lbs for 2 months now. :happy:

Hmm I think I will need to ask my dr about soy. I have soy sauce about 2-3 times a week, tofu/similar items 1-2 a month, and edamame 2x a month, soy milk 3-5x a month.... I wonder if these have an impact.
  • allysar
    allysar Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    My thyroid is completely atrophied. When I was diagnosed in 2002 my TSH was >150!!! (the lab could not dilute the specimen enough to get a "real" number) Anyway, 9 years later and yes, it can be done. You have to be pretty strict with yourself though. I really had no weight issues (except when I was diagnosed, of course) until the past couple of years. After 43 my body slowed WAY down, lol.

Anyway, advice from a Synthroid veteran? Take it on an empty stomach at the same time every day. Do not eat for an hour afterward. Avoid large amounts of soy products. ( I eat edamame occasionally because I love it) Get plenty of exercise and sunshine. (vitamin D helps your energy level and metabolism)

Taking meds is hard for me. I am a night shift nurse so "first thing in the morning" is a different time of day 3-4 days a week. I just make sure I take my meds first thing when my feet hit the floor and wait an hour before eating. It has worked for me so far.

Good luck, if you are diligent with your meds and follow the plan here I am sure you will be successful.
  • crittytn
    Options
    I was diagnosed about 3 months ago. I am on the lowest dose and think I was able to catch mine super early, as my mom and many women in my family have thyroid, so I was ready when my energy level took a plunge and many other random symptoms hit me (including weight gain). I just had my levels retested and everything is good, so I'll stay on this dose. I have been very happy with it and haven't noticed any side effects other than my eyebrows growing back and my hair thickening back up and getting my energy and sleep set back right. :) All good things!

I didn't automatically lose weight going on it, but that's probably due to my diet. LOL Now I'm on track with food and exercise, I expect my weight will come off, albeit maybe slower than it has in the past.

I take mine as soon as I get up in the morning and don't eat for at the very least 30 minutes.
  • spudsmum
    Options
    Ive been on thyroid meds for almost a year and the only side effects Ive had have been for the better ..

You wont automaticaly lose weight once you start the meds and Ive been here for 3 weeks now and have lost 9.5lbs so it can be done but as others have said it is hard work ...

Good luck with your meds
  • Dreamer1311
    Dreamer1311 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Hey, I"ve been on Levothyroxine for at least 9 years now and I never had any side effects. You shouldn't have any at all because all it pretty much does is regulates productions which leads to a better working metabolism. A low thyroid slows it down and one of the main symptoms of that is gaining weight. I was always tired thats how mine was detected. Just because you have a low thyroid doesn't mean that you cannot lose any weight. YES YOU CAN! As long as you take your medication every single day no matter how annoying it might be and get your blood checked regularly :) Everything is possible but it is in your hands what you make out of it. Its not a disease only low thyroid :)
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I was born with it (Congenital Hypothyroidism) and been on medication since 23 months old when they found it.

As a child I was put on high dose and never had weight issues, but in adulthood many doctors felt it was too high and lowered it and I piled on weight.

When I was on right meds and healthy and still mobile I stayed at nine and half stone.

Usually people don't have side effects unless they have been very low for long time and not relaised and sometimes when you first go on it (if doctor starts you too high you might get side effects) , but as thyroxine is found in the body naturally people don't usually have side effects on the right dose.. like with other drugs that aren't naturally found in our bodies.

p. s. I have never been told by a doctor in 42 years that I should take my tablets at a certain time or not with food, cos I had it from a baby my mum could only get them down me with crushed up with weetabix! .... maybe they are telling people this if they start on a lower dose so it will be more effective?

I'm having probs at minute but have mobility probs now and over 40 so I suspect I have an hormonal imbalance too.
  • Dreamer1311
    Dreamer1311 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed about 3 months ago. I am on the lowest dose and think I was able to catch mine super early, as my mom and many women in my family have thyroid, so I was ready when my energy level took a plunge and many other random symptoms hit me (including weight gain). I just had my levels retested and everything is good, so I'll stay on this dose. I have been very happy with it and haven't noticed any side effects other than my eyebrows growing back and my hair thickening back up and getting my energy and sleep set back right. :) All good things!

I didn't automatically lose weight going on it, but that's probably due to my diet. LOL Now I'm on track with food and exercise, I expect my weight will come off, albeit maybe slower than it has in the past.

I take mine as soon as I get up in the morning and don't eat for at the very least 30 minutes.

Sounds familiar! Mine was caught super early too and I had the same symptoms.

Yep,the way you do it is the way it should be done :)
  • Blackthorne99
    Blackthorne99 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Hi, I was wondering if you all could tell me what each of the thyroid test mean?

My T4 Free (Direct) is .95 the range is .82 - 1.77 is it LOWER the # the hyper you are?

My TSH is 1.360 the range is .45 - 4.50 is it the LOWER the # the hyper you are?

My Triiodothyronine, Free Serum is 2.0 the range is 2.0 - 4.4 is the LOWER the # the hyper you are?

HELP! I just dont understand what each level means?

With TSH, above 4.50 is hypo (slow) and below .45 is hyper (fast). In theory, that range is normal, but there are people who still experience hypo or hyper systems while being in the normal range because it's too high or too low for them personally.