Low calorie high protein foods

Options
i need help. I realized the other day I am not ingesting enough protein in my diet. Due to my height and weight I'm suppose to have between 204 -340 grams of protein a day. I eat chicken, Greek yogurt, turkey deli, Swiss, vegetables, turkey burgers, protein shakes etc. I have been taking more protein shakes but each time it's about 300 cal. In order to make room for the extra calories I'm consuming due to the shakes I have been doing longer cardio. Does anyone have any good foods that are high in protein that I may be missing out on? Any suggestions on good protein shakes? I take body fortress since it's cheaper then a lot of the other shakes that can range up $60 or more.

Thanks

Replies

• chrit4u
    Options
    Y do u think you are not getting enough already??
  • larisadixon
    larisadixon Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    species brand makes a protein powder that is calorie free/carb free and 25 grams of protein a scoop. look it up...it is a green and black container, usually runs about 35 bucks
  • mssgirl11
    mssgirl11 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    if you like tuna or fish, that tends to be high in protein
  • dancingdeer
    dancingdeer Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I like the MRM Whey Protein Powders...they're 87 calories a scoop/serving and are low carb and sweetened with Stevia. Search online to find the best price - I buy mine from iHerb.

Hard boiled eggs are high in protein, as is fish - salmon (fresh or canned) and tuna are my favorites!
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I add half a cup of high protein/fiber cereal into my Greek Yogurt (see diary) and sometimes I add an ounce of feta cheese into my chicken wraps (6g of protein per ounce).
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    How did you calculate those amounts, they seem very high to me...

I have a high protein diet at times and make it to 150-160g max... that's with shakes, bars and high protein foods.

In regards to high protein, low cal foods look into mostly fish, seafood, lean meats, then if you have the calories nuts and soy for instance are good sources.
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Y do u think you are not getting enough already??

On my MFP diary I was only getting about 150 and I looked up and a guy my size needs double that. Also muscle gain was little. Now that I'm taking more protein I'm seeing some changes
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Egg whites. Beans. I'm not sure if you consider them low calorie. I like the beans because I need the potassium and fiber. (TMI ? :blushing: Sorry...)
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Check out my food diary :)
    (please ignore the alcohol, lol)
  • rockylucas
    rockylucas Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I am about to start the Belly Off nutrition program through Mens Health, and they recommend 1 gram of protein per current body weight, so if you weighed about 250 lbs than you are correct in aiming for those protein amounts.

But even if you were to consume 250 grams of protein per day, thats just 1000 calories, so you should have plenty of calories left over for fat and carbs.
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Options

I have a high protein diet at times and make it to 150-160g max... that's with shakes, bars and high protein foods.

In regards to high protein, low cal foods look into mostly fish, seafood, lean meats, then if you have the calories nuts and soy for instance are good sources.

There is an equation you use to calculate it. I don't have it with me at the moment. It calculated that during and off day I should consume 204 grams and on a workout day 345 or so. It depends on your weight. At 250lbs and 6'2 I require a bit more
  • karo224
    karo224 Posts: 292
    Options
    bump
  • Chastityx
    Chastityx Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Eggs! I keep boiled eggs in my fridge, quick, easy, protien, no sugar, no carb with potassium.
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Options
    Check out my food diary :)
    (please ignore the alcohol, lol)

Hahahaha. The alcohol was the best part of your diary
  • likeaphoenix
    likeaphoenix Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition double chocolate protein shake, yum. (Aoout $37 on Amazon, for 5 pounds)
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Options
    I am about to start the Belly Off nutrition program through Mens Health, and they recommend 1 gram of protein per current body weight, so if you weighed about 250 lbs than you are correct in aiming for those protein amounts.

But even if you were to consume 250 grams of protein per day, thats just 1000 calories, so you should have plenty of calories left over for fat and carbs.

Thanks for the info. I just have too many goals in wanting to lose weight (1lb a week) as well as tone but I can sacrifice weight to be muscular lol
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition double chocolate protein shake, yum. (Aoout $37 on Amazon, for 5 pounds)

Never heard of that. Thanks!
  • HuntForHipBones
    Options
    Tuna's probably the lowest cal, high protein thing I've found. Tofu isn't bad calorie wise but watch the fat content. Umm, beans? Also quorn!! It's so high protein and really low in calories & fat. I've only ever seen it in England though so might wanna check that out :)
  • Eman2424
    Options

There is an equation you use to calculate it. I don't have it with me at the moment. It calculated that during and off day I should consume 204 grams and on a workout day 345 or so. It depends on your weight. At 250lbs and 6'2 I require a bit more

look at this published study from a University. You do not need to be eating that much protein.

http://jap.physiology.org/content/73/5/1986.short

"For SA, the Low Protein diet did not provide adequate protein and the MP diet resulted in a state of adaptation... The High Protein diet did not result in increased whole body protein synthesis (WBPS) compared with the Medium Protein diet, but leucine oxidation did increase significantly, indicating a nutrient overload. "

For strength athletes, 1.40 grams protein/kg was "adequate" protein and 2.40 grams/kg was "nutrient overload." Strength athletes include power lifters and strongmen.

250 lbs is about 113 kg. At 1.4g/kg you would be taking in 158 grams of protein. At 2.4 you would be taking in 271. So, 271 grams a day would be "nutrient overload" for a strength athlete that weighs 250 and trains very often. And this is not taking into account your actual lean body mass.

In other words, don't worry about eating more than 250 grams of protein a day. As long as you are eating enough calories while you are eating protein, your body will use the protein for muscle synthesis (assuming you strength train) and the carbs will be used for your energy processes.

Unless of course you're taking an anabolic substance (steriods). In that case your body will need 300+ grams of protein to keep up with the higher rate of protein synthesis.
  • Classalete
    Classalete Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Tuna, turkey, raw eggs, cottage cheese, and almond milk...Blend all that trash together and slug three times daily.