Even tic tacs

Options
chriszulu99
chriszulu99 Posts: 12 Member
I actually looked at the nutrition label on tic tacs. They have calories. So does oil. Not counting either yet.

Mothers day weekend....

By the slice pizza: calories? Its a guess.

Restaurant meals: ? Guess

Create your recipe section could prove useful.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,945 Member
    Options
    There is a create a Recipe section. Go to FOOD > Recipes

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe_parser

..and oil has a lot of calories. Better start accounting for that.
  • Rockmama1111
    Rockmama1111 Posts: 264 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    The act of logging with your best estimate is, in my opinion, as valuable as getting it 100 percent accurate. For me, it lets me move on to the next meal/new day without thinking too much about it. If you don't lose as much as you want that week, you have the 20/20 hindsight to know where you can tighten up. We do need to live life, and going out to eat is a joy. You get better at estimates the more you practice.

My tip for pizza: Next time you order delivery, weigh a portion on your food scale that's about the same size as a by-the-slice. You'll be able to eyeball it when you grab one when you're out.

I wouldn't log Tic Tacs because I did not get chubby from eating tiny mints. But oil, YES! You'll probably start to realize you need a lot less.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    I actually looked at the nutrition label on tic tacs. They have calories. So does oil. Not counting either yet.

Mothers day weekend....

By the slice pizza: calories? Its a guess.

Restaurant meals: ? Guess

Create your recipe section could prove useful.

Really not so much if you know the size of the pizza in inches; whether your slice is an eighth of the pizza, a twelfth, a third, or whatever; whether it's thick, thin, or regular crust; and whether the toppings are meat/veggie/just cheese. Look it up here (click the legacy foods tab and scroll past all the Pizza Hut entries) and copy the syntext to search the MFP database:

https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/?query=pizza

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Cooking oils are pure fat...of course they have a lot of calories.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,081 Member
    Options
    Seems like you've had multiple posts mulling about how imprecise things are in calorie counting, worrying about guesses, etc. Yeah, I understand that some level of anxiety at the start is natural, as a person learns how to use the tools effectively. Also, you've posted about things like the difficulty of weight loss arithmetic (labels vs. portions), how easy it would be skip logging some snack when already over calories, etc.

Now we learn that you're apparently using cooking oil - a calorie dense thing - and not logging it.

I'm not trying to be mean here, and maybe I'm totally wrong, but I'm starting to wonder if you're trying to convince yourself that logging is too inaccurate, too much work, or even sabotaging it working (the oil thing). Maybe not. I hope not, sincerely, if you have weight to lose.

If you want to lose weight, and don't want to calorie count, or don't have faith in it for some reason . . . there are other methods that can work.

If you want to calorie count, then log everything, and improve your skills by practicing those skills.
    The skills I mean include logging, using the meal & recipe features in MFP to reduce time logging takes, portion arithmetic, and estimating calories when that's necessary.

And don't guess. Estimate. They're not the same thing, exactly. Estimating is a skill that will improve with practice. Reasonable estimates can work.

The process has worked for quite a few people here, me included. For it to work, a person needs to commit to it.

I'm absolutely cheering for you to succeed in your weight management goals, sincerely.