Why is it all so overwhelming!?

Options
Hey all. I have been attempting to lose weight for couple months now(I know not a long time). I have seen very little results and I am getting frustrated! I am down 12 lbs, the first 10 were in the first 3 weeks. I have completely overhauled my life style (reduced calories, tracking what I eat, walking 3-4 times a week, increase water, cut out pop, etc). I'm not sure what else I can do. Granted, I do have a couple health issues that make it hard to lose weight, but I am overwhelmed with the whole process! The last time I tried to lose weight I got so discouraged and just stopped trying and I don't want to go down that path again!

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,913 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Eating is the solution to chronic hunger and that's what most people end up doing when in a deficit for longer periods of time and some almost immediately. Satiation is key imo but generally that requires a complete overhaul of many of their food choices which most are not willing to do and rely strictly on a deficit, it's a catch 22 for the vast majority of people. Good luck. Cheers
  • firework18
    firework18 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Congrats on losing so much weight in the first three weeks! It sounds like you’re in a plateau. Maybe changing up your workout would help, like adding some strength training (but try not to eat more!) to avoid losing muscle and slowing your metabolism down as you diet. That worked for me in the past.
  • pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,322 Member
    Options
    You are doing well, eat within your calorie goal. Make sure you are being honest with yourself when you log your food. Walking is great, but doesn't burn a ton of extra calories. Stay the course, you'll get there!
  • jonandmindyhanson1
    jonandmindyhanson1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the positive comments! It definitely helps to have people give advise on what works for them!
  • ClearNotCloudyMind
    ClearNotCloudyMind Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Hi. If you can, try to focus on what you are doing rather than the results. Every time you choose something healthy over the worse alternative then your body is that little bit closer to your goals. Celebrate it as a win when you finish a day where you got closer (and not further) due to the choices you made.

Like everyone else here, I have to say it’s going to take time. Maybe take a few measurements? I find that when my weight loss stalls my waist often tightens up.

Best of luck!
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,036 Member
    Options
    Weight is only ONE possible measure of becoming healthier. As @ClearNotCloudyMind mentioned, you should make a conscious effort to be aware of some of the other aspects:

Body measurements (waist, thigh, buttocks, wherever you personally keep your weight)
    Quality of sleep
    Ease moving around (stairs, standing from sitting/lying, etc.)
    Capacity to exercise (energy level, endurance, ease of breathing)

There are other markers, but I found these to be the easiest for me to notice improvements as I moved towards a healthier lifestyle. Note I didn't just say "losing weight" but healthier LIFE-style. You've made several changes already which have likely already improved your life, whether you've taken the time to notice the changes or not.
  • jonandmindyhanson1
    jonandmindyhanson1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    @nossmf thats a very good thought. I have definitely noticed not being out of breath as much and being able to walk a little faster and further. Its hard to not get obsessed with those dang numbers on the scale!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,448 Member
    Options
    Check out the NSV thread over on the Success Stories board.

I have read every single one of them. I used to hoard them for times I felt I couldn’t continue. They literally pulled me through, and still do.

NSV means Non Scale Victory. Not all victories are glowing between your feet.