Is it possible to lose 30lbs by Christmas? Tips/Suggestions

I'm sticking to MFP and thinking about working out twice a day.....I want to get rid of this post pregnancy weight so badly.

I started Monday....actually I did a 3 day diet eating protein and raw green veggies. No salt or sugar....then afterwards I kept it at low sodium and low carbs...I've worked out everyday...I see a change on the scale, but I know it's majority water weight.

This is the biggest I've ever been and it's not comfortable. My ultimate goal is to be at my wedding day weight by Christmas... Any tips or suggestions?????

Replies

• It is possible, but will be hard. You will need to really push it. It also depends on how much you actually have to lose overall. The less you have to lose, the harder it is..

Keep at it, and as long as you have done your best, whatever you weigh at christmas is worth it!!!
  • It can be done if you work hard!! Switch up your exercise routines, eat your complex carbs early part of the day, drink lots and lots of water. Good luck on your journey!!!
  • Yes, it's possible and it's exactly my goal too! The ladies are correct, though. You'll have to be very good about your food intake and equally good about your exercise to get it done.

It's not really going to leave you with time for skipping workouts or doing any serious cheating - and with Halloween, Thanksgiving and the Christmas holidays, you might want to consider that you might only lose 15 or 20... But definitely still shoot for 30. It CAN be done!!
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    that's pretty much 2 lbs per week. That's fairly aggressive, but possible. DON'T overdo the workouts. You're likely to burn out before you reach your goal. Do cardio three times a week, strength training 3 times, and 1 day of rest for recovery. Rest is VERY important. Usually after a rest day you will notice a drop in the scale.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,908 Member
    At 10lbs a month, you would have to be significantly overweight to it efficiently. That's 2.5lbs a week and as you lose your metabolism lowers. Are you over 220lbs? If not, I'm going to say it's not probable.
  • This is my goal as well..But I would just pick a range like 22-30 lbs so that you won't be stuck on one number. I will aim for 30 but if I end up only losing 20 lbs, it's still better than where I am now!
  • Yes, actually, I'm at 220lb (well, when I got on the scale last Sunday night). My ultimate goal is 50lbs in 6 months
  • neekalatti
    neekalatti Posts: 6 Member
    I'd like to lose 31 lbs by Dec. 10th so I hope its is possible lol, I'm 231 lbs now, I'm goin to add u as a friend and hopefully we can motivate eachother with diet n exercise!! :)
  • Wow!! Thanks everyone for the great advice and encouragement!!!!!!! My ultimate goal is 50lbs (or around that number, lol) in 6 months...but I want so badly to do this by Christmas (visiting family, friends, pictures are being taking, lol).

I'm 5'8 at 220lbs....as of last Sunday night (I cannot believe that I put my weight on the internet, lmbo!!!). I've always had weight trouble and been yo-yo dieting since I was 15yrs old. My smallest was around my wedding...at 178lbs....I wouldn't mind getting at least 180lbs.
  • This is my goal as well..But I would just pick a range like 22-30 lbs so that you won't be stuck on one number. I will aim for 30 but if I end up only losing 20 lbs, it's still better than where I am now!

That's a good idea!
  • neekalatti
    neekalatti Posts: 6 Member
    Girl, my highest was 278lbs in August 2002 and my lowest was 178lbs on Thanksgiving in 2006 and that was before dinner so I was 178lbs for maybe 3 hours...I never saw that weight again after that day lol...that was my goal tho - 100lbs - so I stayed between 195ish and 210ish from 2007 to 2010 n then abt a year ago, I just started going to the gym less n less, n eating more and more so my heaviest this year was 244, n now I'm at 231 n I really miss what I had lol...so I'd like to get back to 190 at least but I want to aim for 200 before the end of the year....so lemme tell you, I need all the motivation I can get and will gladly give motivation where I can!!! Lol, matter of fact, I am about to go to the gym now for the first time in 3 weeks so I will come back on when I get back and hoepfully we can all share some good health experiences from today? :)
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Yes it is possible but a gradual weight loss is better for you and easier to maintain. The faster you take weight off the more likely you are to have a relapse. Too much of a calorie reduction makes you crave bad snacks. Keep up your workouts, try small good meals and include snacks. Good snacks keep you off the binge cycle.
  • ladyphoto
    ladyphoto Posts: 192 Member
    Wow!! Thanks everyone for the great advice and encouragement!!!!!!! My ultimate goal is 50lbs (or around that number, lol) in 6 months...but I want so badly to do this by Christmas (visiting family, friends, pictures are being taking, lol).

I'm 5'8 at 220lbs....as of last Sunday night (I cannot believe that I put my weight on the internet, lmbo!!!). I've always had weight trouble and been yo-yo dieting since I was 15yrs old. My smallest was around my wedding...at 178lbs....I wouldn't mind getting at least 180lbs.

I am 5'9 and after I had my baby 18 months ago- and woke up a little bit- I stepped on the scale and was 220 lbs just like you. I was so upset and felt so gross for so long. I started working on it and got down to the low 200's relatively easily- just by watching my diet. Once I hit about 205, I had to start really working at it.

You can do this- it will take a while. You may or may not be able to do it by Christmas. I understand why you want that and how unhappy you feel about your weight- but trust me ont his- pushing too hard is not good for you especially considering you have a new tiny baby. Take your time and lose it slow- and don't miss out on this amazing time in your baby's life.

Trust me- been there- done that (4 times exactly)- but the weightloss will be here waiting for you- take your time- sleep- eat balanced, try to start exercise and you will get teh results you want.
  • yes, it is possible.
  • curvykent
    curvykent Posts: 140 Member

Keep at it, and as long as you have done your best, whatever you weigh at christmas is worth it!!

That is SO SO SO true. As long as you are doing everything you can, by the time Christmas rolls around you will have a whole new attitude no matter what that scale says. One day at a time do your best to eat healthy and exercise. By Christmas you will definitely look different. And I believe when we FEEL different we LOOK different. So it's a win win no matter what as long as you stick to it one day at a time.

Good luck and keep us posted.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    There is an extreme difference between quick weight loss and long-term sustainable weight loss. MOst often, people look for X # of lbs by a certain date, rather than the long-term lifestyle changes that allow for a permanent body alteration.

30lbs is alot to shoot for in 12 weeks, and while it's doable, it would not fall into the permanent sustainable category as you'll be denying your body essentials required to maintain your healthy lean mass while trying to lose fat.

My suggestion would be to check out the Weight Loss Calculators at: http://www.precisionnutrition.com/weight-loss-calculator

This will give you a clear idea for setting your long-term goals that result in a body transformation that you can keep with you all your life.

Cheers!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,605 Member
    Yes, actually, I'm at 220lb (well, when I got on the scale last Sunday night). My ultimate goal is 50lbs in 6 months

Don't set yourself timed goals - it's never a very good idea.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,908 Member
    Don't set yourself timed goals - it's never a very good idea.
    I believe it's fine if the goal you have is reasonable. If 15lbs by December 31st was the goal starting from today, that's reasonable. I think it can help because focus can be better and "urgency" is also a motivating factor.
  • There is an extreme difference between quick weight loss and long-term sustainable weight loss. MOst often, people look for X # of lbs by a certain date, rather than the long-term lifestyle changes that allow for a permanent body alteration.

30lbs is alot to shoot for in 12 weeks, and while it's doable, it would not fall into the permanent sustainable category as you'll be denying your body essentials required to maintain your healthy lean mass while trying to lose fat.

My suggestion would be to check out the Weight Loss Calculators at: http://www.precisionnutrition.com/weight-loss-calculator

This will give you a clear idea for setting your long-term goals that result in a body transformation that you can keep with you all your life.

Cheers!

While I see your logic in this because it is typical for those that have lost the weight quickly, it is not necessarily true. I lost 45 lbs in 4 months. I went on to lose an additional 45 over the next 8 months and I continue to lose...alot more slowly. I didn't "cut" things out of my diet, but rather, I changed my lifestyle. I did alot of research and found out what works best with my body.
    This IS a permanant change for me...I will NEVER go back to the old way of eating.....I don't like the way it makes me feel. It is really beyond the way I looked.

To the original poster...yes you can lose that 35 lbs by Chirstmas, but you WILL have to be dedicated to a new lifestlye. Do not "DIET"! That will only get you to where you are now in about a year, if not sooner. If you are interested in learning some new habits and changing your old ways then you can succeed.

I have a blog joy.lewis4life.org that has a lot of tips and pointers on how to change your lifestyle without feeling like you aren't normal!
  • I feel ur pain girl. For the first time in 12 years i hit under 220lbs this morning, I have goaled my self to loose 85lbs overall. to me it is more the way my cloths fit reather than what the scale says.

I will add you as a friend and we can do this thing together!!!!!