Not New, but Serious for the First Time

Hello all. I’ve been on MFP for about 10 years, but never really got super serious about it until now. I’m a night shift worker, wife, dog/cat mom, and my whole life is turned topsy-turvy every few months when I move to another location for work. BUT! I have to make this work. For my health, my self-esteem, and my quality of life. (It wouldn’t hurt to look absolutely banging in a size 10 eventually, either!) I’m 45, so health issues are a real concern and one of my biggest motivators now. I’d like to meet folks, give and get support, and have fun on this journey!

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,735 Member
    Hello, and welcome!

I hear you: I was around your age when I started being more physically active (47). That was a great quality of life improvement, but not the whole health improvement I needed. I still had borderline to high blood pressure, and high cholesterol/triglycerides, after some years of working out regularly.

My doctor was encouraging statins, and I didn't want to take them. That finally got me serious about getting my bodyweight where it needed to be until 59-60, and have kept it there since. That was another quality of life improvement, very much worth the effort!

Honestly, I feel physically younger now at 67 then I did when I started on this (too) long path in my mid 40s.

I'm cheering for you to succeed!

• proudtruckersgirl
    proudtruckersgirl Posts: 42 Member
    Hello and Welcome back. I am also a returning MFP user. I have fallen off the wagon so many times but I'm now 48 and ready to take my life back. I know God wants me to get healthy, so I am back on the wagon and full speed ahead. Been back on for 5 weeks and already down 18 lbs. You got this too! Feel free to add me on here. We can cheer each other on!
  • JRuwhiu
    JRuwhiu Posts: 2 Member
    Nightshift puts a whole different perspective on a healthy life style, I've done nightshift myself and it means even more self motivation than if you are a dayshifter. I'm sure you'll do well. 👍🏼
  • mjrocks2019
    mjrocks2019 Posts: 2 Member
    I understand what yiu are saying. I have had 2 strokes now and I'm only 40. I just had a wake up call and I was tryongto start gradually making myself better, but after my 2nd stroke I knew it was time to really step up my game.
  • BrightEyedAgain
    BrightEyedAgain Posts: 258 Member
    Welcome! Having your schedule so topsy-turvy is a challenge, but bodies are wonderfully adaptable. Glad you're ready to focus before you end up with health problems. You'll be glad you did!