Water intake

Options
Is there a way of updating your water intake here as I'm aware I should be in taking 2.5 litres for my current weight but need reminding as I know it will go down when I loose more.
Tagged:

Replies

• noodlesno
    noodlesno Posts: 113 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    What changed the game for me was to get a litre water bottle with a straw. You can update your water as part of the app or website.

Just scroll to the bottom of your diary and the water entry should be there.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,641 Member
    Options
    If your pee is clear or almost clear you are drinking enough water. Much of the food you eat contains water also. Sometimes we’re led into drinking more water than necessary.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Not that I know of. As another poster said...if your urine isn't dark in color, you are likely drinking enough water.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Is there a way of updating your water intake here as I'm aware I should be in taking 2.5 litres for my current weight but need reminding as I know it will go down when I loose more.

Your hydration requirements are really weight based. The best way to monitor hydration is to monitor the color of your urine. Things like 8x8oz glasses, etc are just really basic and generalized guidelines that may or may not be applicable on an individual basis, though they may be a good starting point, particularly if you've found yourself to be chronically dehydrated in the past.

I'm a relatively active person and live in the high desert of NM at over a mile high in elevation in a hot and dry climate...my hydration needs are likely to be greater than an individual of the same weight living at sea level in a Mediterranean climate type (southern CA) who is more or less sedentary. Weight plays some roll in hydration needs, but it's not the primary driver of what you need to keep hydrated.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Your hydration requirements are really weight based. The best way to monitor hydration is to monitor the color of your urine. Things like 8x8oz glasses, etc are just really basic and generalized guidelines that may or may not be applicable on an individual basis, though they may be a good starting point, particularly if you've found yourself to be chronically dehydrated in the past.

I'm a relatively active person and live in the high desert of NM at over a mile high in elevation in a hot and dry climate...my hydration needs are likely to be greater than an individual of the same weight living at sea level in a Mediterranean climate type (southern CA) who is more or less sedentary. Weight plays some roll in hydration needs, but it's not the primary driver of what you need to keep hydrated.

This ^^^.

Plus the fluids in food count. Things like fruit, some veggies, soups, other beverages, and more all have some fluid (water) content that adds to hydration. Even coffee, tea, and (gasp) some alcoholic drinks have water content that influences hydration level.

There's no one body weight based amount of added plain water than individuals need.

You don't want utterly clear urine (too hydrated, also not great). Pale yellow is good, but note that getting more than essential of some water-soluble vitamins (from food or supplements) can give urine a bright neon-yellow color, and that's not a big deal.

You don't want dark urine. If it gets to actual brown, green or red, you probably want to see your doctor, unless you ate some unusual food or took some medication that's known to have that effect temporarily.