Is Greek Yogurt better than regular Low-Fat Yogurt??

Options
I was just wondering: Is Greek Yogurt better than regular Low-Fat Yogurt?? I know that it is so popular now, what is the great benefit of eating Greek Yogurt?

Replies

• rockeraxXx
    Options
    Its delicious and creamy....try it! Its pricy but worth it. :smile:
  • holly_v
    holly_v Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    high protein. the one i get is fat free too.

eta: more calcium too i think
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    generally, more protein because it's thicker.
    I actually prefer regular nonfat yogurt because of the texture--although some prefer the texture of greek yogurt.

(see http://health.usnews.com/health-news/blogs/on-fitness/2009/04/06/greek-yogurt-vs-regular-yogurt-which-is-more-healthful)
  • stresco
    stresco Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Higher in protein, low and sometimes no fat and it is very thick and filling. Curbs your appetite after eating. Chobani is my favorite.
  • rockylucas
    rockylucas Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Try Kroger carbmaster yogurt... tastier and lower calorie than Greek yogurt, while packed full of protein
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Only if you buy the right one --- not all greek yogurt is created equal!

REad the label...if it has more sugar than protein, or sugar = to protein --- its not worth it.

The good stuff has double or triple protein vs. sugar. (fage 0%, chobani 0% etc..)
    Once you start getting honey and fruit flavored favored you may as well just buy whatever sugary one is on sale.
  • jazzybean1
    Options
    Yes! I use it in place of sour cream and also add a bit to protein shakes, i get the low fat plain one and if I want flavored just add my own fruit & stevia to sweeten:)
  • Cakepiebeer
    Options
    double the protien
  • kaittx13
    kaittx13 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    it has a lot less sugar than normal low fat yogurt. belly fat can be attributed to too much sugar in my case. so when i choose to eat yogurt i choose greek.. and throw a few blueberries in it. so good :)
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    There are different brands of greek yogurt and of course the price differs. I have been eating Voskos and it costs $0.54 a piece. Not bad at all. However, there are times I can't stand the texture and it makes me want to regurgitate. Just me though. I prefer nonfat regular yogurt from Walmart or Yoplait. Unfortunately, the protein isn't as high.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Yes! I use it in place of sour cream and also add a bit to protein shakes, i get the low fat plain one and if I want flavored just add my own fruit & stevia to sweeten:)

Same here. :love: Sometimes I add a little honey or raisins.
  • dlj1970
    dlj1970 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Love it and agree with most here that it fills me up more. Less carbs/sugar and mega protein. I have mine with 5 walnut halves and 1/3 cup berries...
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    usually fat free rather than low fat, filling, creamy, tasty, high in protein and ~*usually* low in carbs
  • Michelle9939
    Options
    I tried it and I do not like it.
  • CherrySunday
    Options
    it takes a little bit to get used to it, but I love greek yogurt now. I broke myself in slowly .. back in the day I was a Yoplait yogurt eater.. I started with Chobani first .. vanilla flavored or Black Cherry flavored, then moved on to Fage 0% plain. With the plain you do have to add a little something to it.. my husband takes his with sliced strawberries, I like mine with sliced banana. It's lower calories, lower sugar, and HIGH on the protein (which leaves you feeling fuller longer).
  • TequillaLover89
    TequillaLover89 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I have the Oikos fat free greek yogurts for breakfast every morning. They are soo yummy and have like 15-20 grams of protein. The ones I get are normally under 120 calories.

More protein and the flavor/texture are the main reasons I get them.
  • Pageh656
    Options
    chobani raspberry nonfat seems to be my favorite, also like strawberry and strawberry/banana. voskos had a good one where it mixed granola in, and tried oikos too which i liked. i just stir the hell out of it because it looks kinda gross when you first open it imo. i dont get very hungry in mornings so its an easy thing to eat when i wake up.
  • silverstar33
    Options
    It's generally really high in protein compared to most low-fat yogurts. Some love the Greek and some hate it. I've had co-workers tell me that they think it tastes like sour cream. Personally, I hated it the first time that I bought it, but now it's one of my favorite breakfast foods/snacks! Chobani is the best if you're looking for brands.