Over training/over eating?

Options
2»

Replies

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,505 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    It isn't a law, but most people here talk about their weight in "lbs." Stone, throws off and confuses 90% of the people here.
    I hate it. I grew up with it, so I'm in the small subset of people who know about it (UK, Ireland and Australia?) And I hate it.

e.g. Which is easier to understand, if someone is telling you their weight?

Person A: "I'm 200 pounds."
    Person B: "I'm 14 stone 4, innit."
    Person C: "I'm 180 pounds."
    Person D: "I'm 12 stone 12, innit."

It's needlessly confusing. You probably need a calculator just to do anything with it.

EDIT: Ha, the site thought that was an emoji.
  • JJ2944
    JJ2944 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have been to Dr’s with my elbow & been given exercises & there are just certain things I can’t do now, but bizarrely some things I can no problem.

I’ll have a look at the calculator, thank you.

Sorry, so in lbs I have always been around 107lbs and am now at 112. I’m small so it shows much more than it would in a taller person. My limbs are solid however my middle section to me atm is just 🤢

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    JJ2944 wrote: »
    Ps, what is NEAT?

& with moderate exercise and losing weight being easier, what would you suggest as in how many of each type of sessions in a week/for how long?

Thanks.

NEAT = Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis = the calories we burn above our basal/resting metabolic rate (BMR/RMR) by doing daily life stuff like our job, home chores, non-exercise hobbies, etc. . . . not including intentional exercise.

Also: If your device is estimating weight training calories based on your heart rate . . . that's a really, really bad way to estimate weight training calories. How bad is individual, but the fundamental problem is that strength training drives up heart rate for reasons that have nothing to do with calorie burn, loosely strain and pressure inside the body from the nature of those movements.

The article Banx linked is a better way, probably as good as it gets. (There's no great way.) As a simple alternative, logging it manually in the MFP cardiovascular exercise area as "Strength training (weight lifting, weight training)" is less terrible than getting an estimate from a device that uses heart rate to estimate those calories. Obviously, don't double count it by manually logging it and letting your device log it, too.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    JJ2944 wrote: »
    Ps, what is NEAT?

& with moderate exercise and losing weight being easier, what would you suggest as in how many of each type of sessions in a week/for how long?

Thanks.

NEAT is Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis. It is the calories you burn just going about your day to day doing stuff...also, fidgeting and other involuntary movements. Very often, more strenuous exercise can cause a reduction in NEAT that may offset or partially offset energy expenditure from exercise because you are fatigued.

As an example, I used to be quite heavily into endurance cycling and the training that went along with doing those kinds of races and events. On long ride training days or other more strenuous training days like hill repeats or climbing days or after riding and event, I'd be pretty well spent. Typically these things were done in the mornings and I would basically spend the rest of the day and evening doing almost nothing besides getting up off the couch to go to the bathroom because I was spent. I'm a pretty fidgety and twitchy person as well and I would notice that those kinds of involuntary movements would be pretty non-existent after those kinds of efforts. After my first century ride I ate some food at the post event tent and my wife drove me home and I passed out in the car...arrived at the house and went straight to bed around 4:30 PM and slept for 14 hours.

Contrast that with, say a Saturday morning ride for 45-60 minutes...getting home and doing some pool maintenance, mowing the lawn, and then taking the kids out for the afternoon to the zoo...coming home and maybe doing some cleaning, cooking dinner, etc and not really sitting down until later in the evening. From a purely calorie/energy expenditure perspective, it's likely that I burned just as many, if not more calories in this scenario than a hard effort training day or a 1/2 century ride (probably no comparison to the century). People tend to substantially underappreciate how many calories you burn going about a busy day and tend to over-appreciate a really strenuous workout and ignore the fatigue that follows.

In regards to more moderate exercise...for me, I didn't get into endurance stuff and that kind of heavy training load until I was in maintenance. In general, that kind of training made me insatiably hungry...I literally ate all of the food, all of the time and was still hungry. It would have been very difficult for me to maintain a consistent calorie deficit with that training load...not to mention, my performance would not have been where I wanted it. When I was actively losing weight I hit the weight room 3x per week, walked most days and went for a jog or ride maybe 2-3x per week for 30 minutes or so. My weight training sessions were really the only physically strenuous thing I put my body through and I lost weight pretty easily because it was pretty easy to maintain an efficient calorie deficit and be consistent with it.
  • JJ2944
    JJ2944 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies, all definitely makes sense. No more relying on my myzone for weight training sessions & ye I can see how you’d burn more in an average day than the first scenario. That’s pretty much my average week, 2-3 eight sessions & 2-3 cardio/hiit sessions so I’m not overtraining, I think I’m just over eating! And thinking because I’m so active I can get away with it but the weight, albeit slowly, is creeping up, as are the inches. Glad I posted in here and gained some perspective.