A question about shoes...

Options
So I have the Skechers with memory foam, I've always thought they were super comfortable. Well since I've been doing 10 to 15,000 steps a day, my heels are killing me. So I'm wondering what kind of shoes you all use-- if there's something different I should be buying... Because even though these are comfortable, they're not made for a whole lot of walking Lol

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    I use Skechers ALL day at work. The difference is I have inserts in them. You're likely developing some tendinitis in the heels. So a good stretching program will help too.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,328 Member
    Options
    How old are your shoes? They can look perfectly good on the outside and still be losing support integrity. Shoes are a personal choice. Initially, go to a running store get some suggestions and try them on. See what you like from the selection and give it a try. Even walking I wouldn't go over 300-400 miles (there are apps that will track your mileage) or 4-5 months before buying a new pair. I like Brooks to exercise in, but love my Sketchers sandals and wear them all day when I can.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    How old are the shoes? Did you progress to 10-15K steps per day or just jump in? What was your step count before? If you were more or less sedentary and just jumped to 10-15K steps overnight, that's likely to cause some discomfort...your body isn't used to it. I'm in pretty good shape and get around 10K-12K steps per day but was getting around 25-30K per day when I was in DC over spring break...it caused some discomfort because I wasn't used to walking that kind of mileage, despite that I have very good shoes for the job.

For doing a lot of walking I prefer a day hike "sneaker" shoe over runners. The ones I use are sometimes advertised as a trail runner...sometimes advertised as a light day hiker. I find them to be immensely more comfortable for walking a lot of miles than road running shoes. They also do just as well on urban terrain as they do in mixed terrain (though I wouldn't want to wear them on a serious hike over rough terrain)...so they are excellent when I'm traveling

I wear these...they are lifesavers when I'm site seeing on vacation in places like DC or just doing a lot of walking in general. I don't notice a ton of difference for short walks...like 2-3 miles vs my Brooks runners, but for putting in a lot of walking miles, these are my go to.

salomon-outpulse-hiking-shoes.jpg
  • sbtschume
    sbtschume Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem will serious pain in my heel and lower arch area. Go to a running store and have them test your stride. They have technology to see how you strike your foot and whether your feet are overpronating, underpronating, etc. Then they should be able to recommend a brand that fits the profile of your unique step. I did this a couple years ago, found Brooks shoes (didn't buy them in store, went online and found a clearance set to test drive), and have never looked back.
  • pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,328 Member
    Options
    sbtschume wrote: »
    I had the same problem will serious pain in my heel and lower arch area. Go to a running store and have them test your stride. They have technology to see how you strike your foot and whether your feet are overpronating, underpronating, etc. Then they should be able to recommend a brand that fits the profile of your unique step. I did this a couple years ago, found Brooks shoes (didn't buy them in store, went online and found a clearance set to test drive), and have never looked back.

If you go this way, I suggest supporting the running store by buying your first pair from them. They often have a generous return policy and they are often small businesses. After the initial pair, you can look for a deal.

• Beverly2Hansen
    Beverly2Hansen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Saucony or Nike zoom are the best shoes I’ve found when walking 8-10 miles per day. Memory foam shoes cushion but don’t firmly support the arches in your feet which messes up how your weight is distributed on your feet often causing heel pain. It took me months of trial and error to find what worked best for my feet but I noticed a ton of people walking or running similar mile amounts also chose these two shoe brands. Hopefully this helps.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I have long loved Skechers and never had any fear buying them online; they always fit perfectly and I could wear them all day. Post-pandemic, the Skechers I ordered no longer felt great. There were tight spots, friction points and sometimes my feet would hurt after a few hours. I'm not sure what happened, but they just ain't what they was. 😠
  • noraknotes
    noraknotes Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I used to wear the same shoes! Loooved Skechers with memory foam but they also got less foamy over time. I ended up switching to Brooks and I love them. To me, they were absolutely worth the price. I think it was the Adrenaline GTS, which are made for running.
  • Mischante
    Mischante Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I used to love sketchers until I developed plantar fasciitis in both of my feet. I'm a Nurse and walk a ton at work but the pain got to the point I had to purchase insoles from the Good Feet Store. I bring this up because my pain initially started in my heel. It seriously felt like I stepped on a big rock. Long story short the pain progressed over the course of a couple of years but is now 90% better with the inserts. I also buy running shoes (New Balance) every 6 months or so. I always know it's time for new shoes when my lower back starts to ache.