Breakfast really that important?

Options
So I'm sitting here and its about 7 :30 in the morning and Im trying to get myself to breakfast, now Ive never been a breakfast person but I hate eating in the morning HATE IT. To a point where I'm gagging (pathedic I know) but is breakfast really that important? If my body had its way I wouldn't eat clear until 1 in the afternoon, and I know that doing that is horrible for you and slows your metabolism down. Will it really be horrible if I just dont eat breakfast?
Breakfast Hater
Sierra

Replies

• sierrasummer
    Options
    So I'm sitting here and its about 7 :30 in the morning and Im trying to get myself to breakfast, now Ive never been a breakfast person but I hate eating in the morning HATE IT. To a point where I'm gagging (pathedic I know) but is breakfast really that important? If my body had its way I wouldn't eat clear until 1 in the afternoon, and I know that doing that is horrible for you and slows your metabolism down. Will it really be horrible if I just dont eat breakfast?
    Breakfast Hater
    Sierra
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Yes, breakfast is important. The MOST important meal of your day. Sorry to tell you it, but it is. you need something to fuel yourself and to tell your metabolism "hey, I'm awake now, you can start working again!"

What about some kind of power shake or something. If you don't like the food, at least get some liquid calories in there. Anything to keep your body from burning up muscle and slowing down.
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    Nobody HAS to eat breakfast, especially if they don't care about their weight. If you do care, then it is a MUST. Your body has spent the night healing and repairing itself and your metabolism has slowed immensely. Your metabolism needs to be jumpstarted with breakfast, in order to fuel your body for the day. You are doing more harm than good if you ignore this one simple change. Same goes for rehydrating your body after a night. It is very hard to choke down something in the morning if you are not accustomed to it, but our body starts to become used to it once you start. Start out small, like a banana or a yogurt for awhile and you'll see what I mean.:smile:
  • rissa1322
    Options
    YES breakfast is super important.. but u dont have to eat breakfast foods.. if its the foods u dont like(eggs, milk, etc) eat anything.. ur body doesnt care what time of the day it is or if its "breakfast food"

heres a breakfast question?
    i am on the 1200 cal a day plan.. how many calories should i be allocating to breakfast.. i usually have toast, peanut butter and some fruit.. around 300 cals.. is that ok? or should i focus more cals on lunch and dinner?
  • healthychic
    Options
    Yeah, unfortunately nutritionists and doctors say it is the MOST important meal of the day. It kicks starts your metabolism, and it can actually keep you thinner because of that. Have you ever tried Special K bars?:smile: I eat those when I'm on the go, or Quaker Chewy Granola Bars. Or even a peice of fruit or yogurt might be ok for you to eat. I know what you mean about how you feel like "gagging". A lot of my friends don't eat breakfast and they say the same thing. It's just because you're not used to eating breakfast, once you start eating it everyday you won't be able to go without it!! Your body will feel weak and fragile, its really strange how that works. Any new eating habits or schedules will make you feel sick or gag if you have a sensitive stomach.

Hope I helped, and good luck breakfast hater!!:happy:

:heart: Danielle
  • banks1850
    Options
    YES breakfast is super important.. but u dont have to eat breakfast foods.. if its the foods u dont like(eggs, milk, etc) eat anything.. ur body doesnt care what time of the day it is or if its "breakfast food"

i am on the 1200 cal a day plan.. how many calories should i be allocating to breakfast.. i usually have toast, peanut butter and some fruit.. around 300 cals.. is that ok? or should i focus more cals on lunch and dinner?

Hi Ris, lot of that depends on when you do the most activity. If you work out more in the morning, try to eat a 1/2 hour before you work out. Same goes for whenever you work out. Either just before or Just after (just after isn't as good for cardio, but it's still ok. It's fine for Weights as weights has an elevated burn level for hours after you work out and will use the fuel you put in.)
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time eatting a big breakfast so I mix it up a little. I have a packet of oatmeal or toast with peanut butter, something like that. Then after I have been awake and moving around I have a snack and that is usually when I eat an egg white omelet or something.

Breakfast is the one meal you absolutely need, your body has been fasting since your dinner the night before, and coffee doesn't count as breakfast. Your metabolism needs a boost. It took me a few weeks of consistently eating breakfast but eventually I started to wake up with hunger pangs.
  • Cassia
    Cassia Posts: 467 Member
    Options

Hi Ris, lot of that depends on when you do the most activity. If you work out more in the morning, try to eat a 1/2 hour before you work out. Same goes for whenever you work out. Either just before or Just after (just after isn't as good for cardio, but it's still ok. It's fine for Weights as weights has an elevated burn level for hours after you work out and will use the fuel you put in.)

Wait a second! Hold the train!:wink: It's good to eat Before you work out?? :noway: I have always thought it was after...I always eat a little while after i do tae-bo is that wrong?
  • eeekmom
    Options
    a friend of mine who does marathons and is just in incredible shape had this tip for me as far as eating most calories.

eat like a king for breakfast,
    a queen for lunch
    and a peasant for dinner.

i dont know if it works or not. I usually consume the same amount of calories per meal.
  • banks1850
    Options

Wait a second! Hold the train!:wink: It's good to eat Before you work out?? :noway: I have always thought it was after...I always eat a little while after i do tae-bo is that wrong?

It's ok to eat after, but think about it logically, with cardio, you are burning it while you work, so you want the body to burn the fuel you give it. It's not as important with Weight training because the muscles continue to burn fuel at a high rate for hours after you work out.
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options

It's ok to eat after, but think about it logically, with cardio, you are burning it while you work, so you want the body to burn the fuel you give it. It's not as important with Weight training because the muscles continue to burn fuel at a high rate for hours after you work out.

My husband is a "retired" body builder-he says to eat before you work out....use good judgement. Eating to heavy before big cardio can make you feel sick. Eat a good healthy breakfast before you work out and eat a handfull of almonds after. Drink plenty of water.

I have worked out on an empty stomach and I found myself not wanting to move. I felt tired and sluggish. I eat at least an hour before I go and it makes a big difference for me.
  • cp005e
    cp005e Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    My husband is exactly the same as you - the idea of eating first thing in the morning just makes him ill! I did not used to be a breakfast person either, but I have made a commitment to eating breakfast every day, and now I am hungry in the morning where I never used to be before. I take this as a good sign - if I am hungry, it probably means that my metabolism is picking up because it now *expects* to get some more fuel in the morning.

Another thing to consider is whether you are getting enough sleep - if you are forcing yourself awake in the morning because you are so tired, it is harder to convince your body to "wake up" and realize it's time to eat.

My recommendation is to start slowly getting in the habit of eating a little something that you can tolerate. You might start with as little as a slice of toast (either dry, or with a little butter or peanut butter if you can manage it), a little bit of oatmeal, or even a glass of orange juice - just eat something! And like others have suggested, you might find that a couple of hours later, you can eat a little more - so you get the equivalent of a full meal split up across 2 snacks in the morning. Chances are, if you stick with it, it will get easier for you. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • jessneill
    jessneill Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I don't like to eat first thing either, but I know I have to get something in my stomach as soon as possible so I eat an "early snack" which is just a cereal bar and some coffee. Then a couple hours later I have my "breakfast" usually yogourt or cottage cheese with fruit and flax. This has really worked for me.
  • melathon
    melathon Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I agree with all who say it's important! I love, love, love my breakfast.

It's funny that people are so different. My mother and sister are the same as you - can barely stomach food in the morning. I, on the other hand, have ALWAYS needed breakfast, and, in fact, have been eating basically two breakfasts some days - usually the days that I run/swim from 11 - 1. Today I had oatmeal at 6:30 am and a turkey sandwich at 9:30 am. That probably sounds gross to some, but it's what my body wanted (I was actually sitting here at my desk just after 9 am thinking, "I want my sandwich. I want my sandwich.")

What banks said about trying to drink breakfast is a good idea - my sister used to choke down a Carnation instant breakfast in the morning. I'd just look at her and shake my head, but now after "meeting" some of you I realize she's not all that strange. :laugh:
  • sierrasummer
    Options
    Wow thanks everyone I had no realized it was so important. I'll just have to find what sounds the best in my mind and eat it. Thank you everyone, you guys are AWSOME!
  • nicole0177
    Options
    I completely understand how you feel about breakfast i HATE breakfast food the thought of it makes me sick:sick: and its so hard to eat right when you wake up!!!!
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I'm another breakfast lover! I ate 1 1/2 cups kashi golean cereal today with 1% milk about 730, then a bowl of beans with an english muffin around 9. I can't bear having an empty stomach in the morning, I have no energy to do anything!
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    I have honestly never been much of a breakfast eater either. However that being said I have started faithfully eating something every morning. Granted it is not a huge amount normally. I started with a half serving of hot cereal (not my favorite thing) or some yogurt. Toast is a good one and probably one I use most often. A half bagel with a slice of canadian bacon and a slice of cheese melted (my favorite).

Anyway back from my ramble. I started faithfully eating and I am beginning to actually feel hungry in the morning. And though my energy level is not much different when I have a morning I don't eat right away I am finding things I do enjoy.

Good luck.
  • Samson960
    Options
    I'm not sure why im going to tackle this one, i'd rather be writing about History where I have some solid facts to deal with. This is where we are all have a problem at times. What are the facts? Who said you have to eat first thing when you get up and what facts is it baised on? Off the top of my head three people i know who are ideal weight. One eats at first thing in the morning, another eats at work 7-8am and the other doesnt bother till afternoon. So when is brekfast?

Where do i get facts on what is the proper time to eat? I've done allot of reading on the internet and in magizines. I try to follow what im told and it doesnt work. Then again Dr. Atkins told us that bread is bad for us. Thats funny, he tells us that we have been eating the wrong food since the dawn of civilization.

Personally, it comes down to doing what our bodies want. Sierra if you dont want to eat breakfast and your body makes you gag at it. Dont do it! Stop that! That brings back memories of myself at the dinnertable. My mother and eventually my father would force us to eat almost adult size portions at the dinner table or we would become prisoners at the table. How can an overweight adult (Still love my mother though lol) tell me when im full? I eventually lost the ability to guague when I had enough food my body wanted.

Everyone before considering what i've said keep in mind that dieting is BIG business i(m sure someone is going to get mad). Billions dollar industry. They need to keep in business by getting us to consume volumes of thier products. I saw references to bars and shakes in this thread. Im amused when i hear the comercials for them and they quote "studies show..." "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day". Who conducted this study? What body types and blood types were the participants? Yeah blood type is a major factor but more on that another time. Or are they trying to play into the sheep mentality?

I'm currious Sierra, do you get tired when you hold off on breakfast until later on? How do you feel the rest of the morning if you force yourself to eat? Throw us some facts to think about :)

-Sam
  • LightenUp_Caro
    LightenUp_Caro Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with breakfast as well. It seems that if I eat breakfast in the morning before I go to class, I'm perpetually hungry the rest of the day.
    Its probably bad, but I don't eat my first meal until after I go to the gym which usually ends up to be 12 or 1 on the average day- and by that time, I'm not hungry for the rest of the day.
    But, I guess I just have to find a way to make it work for me. Good luck to you.