Weigh in

Options
Yesterday I weigh 214.6
This morning I weigh myself 214.6 same no changes
Does that mean I hot a weight loss plateau?
Do I eat my normal calorie deficit number
Or do I eat less

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is a long-term project. Stay at the same calories. Some days, some weeks you won't lose. Sometimes you will even observe an uptick on the scale. It's not necessarily a problem.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10683010/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-fluctuations/p1

Generally a "plateau" would be several WEEKS of staying the same weight while tracking food and calories and staying within goals.

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    You can't expect to lose weight every day, or even every week, our weight fluctuates daily because of water weight fluctuations, food waste in our system,... which masks fat loss on the scale.

Also: some scales have built-in false consistency, which means that they show the same weight when there is only a small difference with the previous weight. You can try weighing yourself with something heavy, and then weighing yourself normally again, and see if that gives a different result.

A plateau is at least one month/one menstrual cycle without a weight change.

Patience, grasshopper :smile: stick to your calorie goal for at least one month/one menstrual cycle and based on your results, you can determine if you need to make changes.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    One day is not a plateau. A plateau is a month or more with no change in weight. Keep eating at goal for at least a month to see if your goal is appropriate. The amount that you would lose in a day, at best, is usually too small to register. Besides, your weight includes water, food waste, etc. so even if you eat an amount to drop 1/7 th of a pound (500 calories less than maintenance), it may not show on the scale. You need to look at the long term and not worry about the day to day scale fluctuations (or lack thereof.)

FWIW, some scales will stay at the same weight if the change in weight day to day is very small. You can fix this by getting off the scale, picking up something that weighs a few pounds, weighing yourself with the weight, then weighing yourself again without it.
  • flower3326
    flower3326 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thank you spiriteagle99
    One day is not a plateau. A plateau is a month or more with no change in weight. Keep eating at goal for at least a month to see if your goal is appropriate. The amount that you would lose in a day, at best, is usually too small to register. Besides, your weight includes water, food waste, etc. so even if you eat an amount to drop 1/7 th of a pound (500 calories less than maintenance), it may not show on the scale. You need to look at the long term and not worry about the day to day scale fluctuations (or lack thereof.)

FWIW, some scales will stay at the same weight if the change in weight day to day is very small. You can fix this by getting off the scale, picking up something that weighs a few pounds, weighing yourself with the weight, then weighing yourself again without it.

• westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    You should not even be worrying about not losing weight if you are doing weekly weigh-ins, let alone daily ones. You will not lose weight on the scale every day or even week - *even if you are doing everything right*. There are many other factors that affect what your weight is on the scale, that aren't fat.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    One day?

LOL. Your water weight can go up or down by pounds every day based on your recent food intake, salt, working out, etc. etc.

Weigh once a week at the same time and even then bear in mind the above line about water weight, or if you insist on weighing daily, take a multi-day average of that.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    flower3326 wrote: »
    Yesterday I weigh 214.6
    This morning I weigh myself 214.6 same no changes
    Does that mean I hot a weight loss plateau?
    Do I eat my normal calorie deficit number
    Or do I eat less

Ummm...it's one day. You aren't going to lose weight every day...or even every week. Losing weight is a long term trend over time. One day of data is absolutely, completely meaningless on it's own. Hell, normal and natural bodyweight fluctuations can be 3-5 Lbs depending on body water composition at that time...digestive waste, etc.

Here's what losing weight looks like over time plotted on a graph. You will notice that individual data points (individual weigh-ins are all over the place...the red line is the overall trend over time...like months and sometimes years...it's the important one.

Weight-Loss-Reality-Feature-1024x538.png