31 F - 7 stone to lose

Options
annaboo876
annaboo876 Posts: 6 Member
Hi all,

I just wanted to post for some accountability really and to make this real. I've lost weight at least three times before. Each time putting it all back on and then more. Now weighing over 17st, I have to do something about it for my health and my future.

It would be great if anyone wants to buddy up.

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,447 Member
    Options
    Hi @annaboo876 Welcome to the boards.

You seem to have the art of losing weight down to a science. Have you given any thought to how you’ll do it differently this time? What have you learned? Are you thinking ahead to maintenance? Why do you keep repeating the cycle? Do you teach goal, dust off your hands and say “that’s it, I’m done?”
  • annaboo876
    Options
    I definitely don't and nor have I claimed to. It was really hard every time. I've put weight back on at times of stress etc and never reached goal a final goal.

I was just looking for anyone who wants to support each other, not for a random stranger to make me feel worse on the internet.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,955 Member
    Options
    anna, stick around and keep reading. Knowledge is Power...and there are many diet myths out there, so beware of magazine articles.

For me, logging food every danged day is the only thing that has ever worked.

I lost 80 pounds in 2007-08. It has completely changed my life in a good way and that is no exaggeration. The maintaining weight part is every bit as challenging on an ongoing basis, so learn all you can about it.

I'd say start with reading the "Most Helpful" posts in the Getting Started subforum and maybe the Weightloss forum, too. There are "Most Helpful" posts in the Maintaining Weight forum that can help you when you get closer to your Goal.

Just start. Log food. Every day. Look at and study your FOOD diary.

Go! :flowerforyou:
  • annaboo876
    Options
    Thank you - I know plenty really. The challenge is separating food and emotions for the long term. If I can get started well, I stand more of a chance of keeping it up. The motivation to be in good health is different now - it always used to be some kind of distant future thing, but I don't want to be 40 and in terrible shape so it feels more real now.
  • cmriverside
    edited May 2023
    Options
    I found a lot of help for my emotional well-being right here on this forum.

I get it about linking emotion and food, though...I mean, that's the whole battle for a lot of us. Anxiety, depression, fear, anger, hurt, it all ends with a cookie, or a package of cookies, yeah? Only the cookies don't fix the whatever-it-is-that-is-bothering-me.

Lots of help for that online and in books, too.

You can do this.

One day at a time.
  • springlering62
    Options
    annaboo876 wrote: »
    I definitely don't and nor have I claimed to. It was really hard every time. I've put weight back on at times of stress etc and never reached goal a final goal.

I was just looking for anyone who wants to support each other, not for a random stranger to make me feel worse on the internet.

Sweetie, sorry if the tone came off wrong to you. I didn’t mean to offend. I’m just challenging you to look at it thoughtfully this time. You’ve got the mechanism down. Focus on learning and keeping new habits.

I’ve been in maintenance for several years after a large loss myself and can tell you from experience, maintenance is hella harder than loss.

Someone here much wiser than me said “I treat maintenance like I still have ten pounds to lose”, and that’s been golden for me.

Hugs.
  • cmriverside
    edited May 2023
    Options
    “I treat maintenance like I still have ten pounds to lose”

This is how I've had my calories set on myfitnesspal since 2008. I have it set at a 200 calorie per day deficit.

Do I always stay that low? No way. BUT...I'm still at my Goal weight give or take 5-7 pounds every winter...not sure that's a bad thing, though. It comes, it goes. Every year like clockwork. I think it's just biology and evolution. Years of living with the changing seasons.
  • annaboo876
    Options
    Thanks. I definitely don't have the mechanism down but I'll work on it. I see what you're saying about maintenance and its importance, but it could take me 2 years to get to that with the amount I have to lose so one step at a time.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,127 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I definitely don't have the mechanism down but I'll work on it. I see what you're saying about maintenance and its importance, but it could take me 2 years to get to that with the amount I have to lose so one step at a time.

I think part of the point is that one option - a good one IMO - is to kind of think of weight loss as maintenance practice, with the cushion of a calorie deficit to make up for any oopsies/learning experiences that may happen as you test-drive new eating and activity strategies, and figure out which methods are most workable for you to keep up for that 2 years . . . and then forever, after that. In other words, finding practical methods that are relatively easy, so can continue almost on autopilot during times when other parts of life get stressful and demanding.

Just a thought.

I lost somewhat less than you're targeting (more like 3 stone 8 in my case, so only around half as much), so it took around a year, but that's the thought process that worked well for me. I'm still maintaining a healthy weight now, 7+ years later, after around 30 years previously of overweight/obesity.

I think everyone here would really like to see you succeed long term - I know I would, and is sincerely trying to help. We all have different assumptions and communication styles, though.

Best wishes for success!
  • peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 310 Member
    Options

Sweetie, sorry if the tone came off wrong to you. I didn’t mean to offend. I’m just challenging you to look at it thoughtfully this time. You’ve got the mechanism down. Focus on learning and keeping new habits.

I’ve been in maintenance for several years after a large loss myself and can tell you from experience, maintenance is hella harder than loss.

Someone here much wiser than me said “I treat maintenance like I still have ten pounds to lose”, and that’s been golden for me.

Hugs.

that was me who said that. whether i need to gain 10 pounds or lose ten pounds or maintain my weight. i always live each day as if have 10 pounds to loose. this includes eating and moving. i lost over 125 pounds over 11 years ago and have kept it off with this way of thinking and living. you can never let your guard down when you struggle with food addiction and obesity. its the same as being an acholic. you are never cured. only forever in recovery.
  • springlering62
    Options

Hugs.

that was me who said that. whether i need to gain 10 pounds or lose ten pounds or maintain my weight. i always live each day as if have 10 pounds to loose. this includes eating and moving. i lost over 125 pounds over 11 years ago and have kept it off with this way of thinking and living. you can never let your guard down when you struggle with food addiction and obesity. its the same as being an acholic. you are never cured. only forever in recovery.

Well then you are a very wise and well spoken woman. That’s been my mantra through maintenance, and I’ve laid it on countless other members, lol. So, many many thanks, Peggy!

And yes, agree about addiction, although I know so many disagree. My family suffered through alcoholism, drug abuse, and gambling, among other things. I decided as a kid not to touch any of it, but I never made the mental leap that food was basically more of same. 🤦🏻‍♀️

OP, if it’s any comfort, I lost 97. I lost 80 or so of that in a year, but, I also exercised a lot (benefit of retirement). It’s not going to happen in three or four months, but there is light at the end of the tunnel and time flies. If you’re diligent, you’ll look back in a year and say,”80% there, now let’s fine tune!”
  • hoarc1987
    hoarc1987 Posts: 52 Member
    Options

So what can we hold you accountable for? For starters, are you planning to eat any non processed food today that has nutrition in it? If so what is one food you can name?