Plateau

Options
Hey, i would like to pick up your brains on how to deal with a plateau.
I’ve been actually in a 3 months plateau that i seem to not break. Eating deficit and doing strength training twice a week. Lost 6,5 kg this way until the scale shows the same.
I just wanna shed 1,5 kg more but i seem to be stuck
Anyone who dealt with this and managed to break through?

Replies

• paschal50kg
    paschal50kg Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You mentioned you're doing strength training. What if you're gaining lean muscles? Sometimes that could be the reason why the scale is not moving. Just my opinion
  • laurosaurusrex
    laurosaurusrex Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Recomp is definitely possible - but I would ask how long you’ve been in a deficit for?

At a certain point, your body adapts to the amount of calories you take in. So what once was a deficit, now becomes maintenance which is why the goal should always be to be eating as much as possible when starting (ex. Not 1200 calories lol because have to slash down from that is damn near impossible)

I would recommend a week or two “diet break” before suggesting cutting calories. But then again, I don’t know your goal and if you have a certain time frame of achieving that goal.

The diet break would allow for both a mental and physiological reset. You’ll be fueling your body so it feels safe and fed. When you resume your deficit, hopefully that should kickstart the loss.

Otherwise, if you are truly tracking all food intake, managing sleep/digestion/stress and the scale has not moved in over two weeks , you may want to consider dropping 200 calories or so.

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,628 Member
    Options
    What is your height and weight? If you’re fairly lean it gets harder to lose fat however the rules don’t change regarding losing regarding calorie balance. It sounds like you’ve been at maintenance for awhile so it’s time to dig in get back into a deficit. What WAS a deficit when you were lighter will not be after losing weight.

2 weight training sessions a week won’t burn many calories. Your calorie burn outside of RMR will be your NEAT burning so if you’re fairly sedentary you will want to add some cardio work to compensate and combine that with lower weekly calories.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Have you redone MFP's goals to estimate your current TDEE? The site doesn't auto update this as your weight changes, while in the real world it will drop as you lose weight.
  • daliaonetiu4007
    daliaonetiu4007 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your time and replies.
    I am 1,73m and 60kg at the moment. I think adding some cardio will probably be for the best, but i’ve been also thinking that whenever i do sports, Fitness pal adds those burned calories that my Garnin shows to the ones that i should eat and i was always eating my burned calories, so maybe that’s the trick; i should stick to my deficit ( which is 1350kcal now) even in the days where i am active.
    I am pretty active, i walk everyday and my strenght training session are about 45 min long eachtime.
    Basically i just wanna get a bit leaner, but i am aware that i might have added also some muscle, is just that i need to figure out how to lose just a little bit more. 😅
  • daliaonetiu4007
    daliaonetiu4007 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Also, i have been in deficit for 6 months now but eating maintenance or having a cheat meal once a week also, but 2 weeks ago i allowed myself a break from dieting of 10 days where i did not count and just listened to my body.
    After this break i started deficit again because i thought it will break the plateau and now i realise it didn’t.

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    1.5 kilo one way or another is well within a normal range.

Several pounds of weight are going to fluctuate on any given day...

To lose that three pounds - is it really that important? Is it just some number you're fixated on? If it is you know what to do. Eat a little less for a couple weeks. Your body is happy where it is.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Hey, i would like to pick up your brains on how to deal with a plateau.
    I’ve been actually in a 3 months plateau that i seem to not break. Eating deficit and doing strength training twice a week. Lost 6,5 kg this way until the scale shows the same.
    I just wanna shed 1,5 kg more but i seem to be stuck
    Anyone who dealt with this and managed to break through?
    So first ask yourself : have you been doing the same thing for those 3 months? Meaning, no parties, no excess alcohol or high calorie foods, no overeating, etc. If so, then it's NOT a plateau. It's actually hard to plateau because you'd have to do the same exact thing for 6 weeks or more and have no weight movement. And I haven't met anyone yet that has done the same exact thing for 6 weeks or more with the exception of competitive fitness people getting ready for a show.

If your weight isn't moving, it's first and foremost to check how your counting calories and if you're being accurate or winging it. Then you need to figure out how many calories you're actually burning in a day accurately.

Don't wing it. Be precise and consistent.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,642 Member
    Options
    1.5 kilo one way or another is well within a normal range.

Several pounds of weight are going to fluctuate on any given day...

To lose that three pounds - is it really that important? Is it just some number you're fixated on? If it is you know what to do. Eat a little less for a couple weeks. Your body is happy where it is.

Is it the number or the look?

You're at BMI 20.0 is there any reason to assume that 19.5 will be any healthier than 20 as a goal? Where will stable weight and active lifestyle be easier to maintain?