Going Out Tonight

Options
First full day with MFP and I'm going out to restaurant tonight and have no idea how to log the food I'm about to eat. Just guesstimate? TIA for any tips, advices or pointers to useful resources.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    Some menus have the estimated calorie count on their meals. I'd always guess a little higher though. To ensure not over doing it, eat something like vegetable dishes not laden with a lot of sauce and a side of whatever meat or seafood you eat if you do eat them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,608 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Wing it. Nothing ruins a night out like stressing over calories however just going off the rails isn’t advisable.

One big night out can negate a whole week’s deficit.
  • Rockmama1111
    Rockmama1111 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I log best estimates as soon as I get home. I don’t go to chain restaurants, but I use the entries for them (e.g. for fettuccine alfredo, I use a verified Olive Garden entry). I figure it’s probably more accurate than a user’s guess.
  • BeanieBean93
    BeanieBean93 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Just be smart about it. Look at the menu ahead of time and choose something appropriate for your goals. If you're looking to lose weight, find a "lighter" option on the menu. Baked chicken and veggies? Salad with fresh toppings? Non cream based soup? Steak and veggies? Typically restaurants have portions made for 2-3 people, depending on where you go. Is there someone you can split a dish with? Or can you eat half and take half home?

Also, drinks have calories so if you want to drink, just take those into account. I typically estimate
    150 cals per glass of wine
    250 cals per pint of beer
    180 cals per pint of light beer
    200 cals per cocktail (single shot, 1 mixer)
    300 cals per fancy cocktail with multiple mixers and alcohols

Or, if you completely blow it, just restart tomorrow and enjoy the night. Have fun!
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,502 Member
    Options
    This being your first full day, I'd say don't worry about it. Enjoy your meal. Just be careful about going overboard, maybe do without a sauce or topping perhaps. Then start logging in full tomorrow.

In the future, if the restaurant doesn't offer nutrition, find a different but similar restaurant site which does, and use that to estimate.
  • michaellawrie9345
    michaellawrie9345 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I love the idea of picking from the menu before I get there. That way I have a plan in mind and that will help me avoid getting sidetracked.
  • DFW_Tom
    DFW_Tom Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I love the idea of picking from the menu before I get there. That way I have a plan in mind and that will help me avoid getting sidetracked.

You're doing good. New to MFP and you already are thinking ahead and have formulated a plan. Good for you!