IUDs and Weight Gain

Options
I took Yasmin on and off for 5 years and it made me gain a little bit. Most of what I gained in those 5 years was from some emotional stuff I was going through. I've been off the Yasmin since May and my cycle is all out of whack. I've been able to lose 26 pounds in a couple of months with MFP. I'm going to be using an IUD soon but am concerned that I'm going to gain weight again.

Has anyone experienced weight gain from using Mirena?

Replies

• hannahmayr30
    hannahmayr30 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I didn't gain, but I couldn't lose no matter what I did! I got it taken out and got pregnant right away with my second daughter (planned)...I lost 15 lbs in my first three months of pregnancy! I have the Paragaurd now and I LOVE it! No hormones, not weight gain, and I have none of the other terrible side effects that I experienced with Mirena.
  • SWgal
    SWgal Posts: 62
    Options
    I have the Paraguard {non hormonal} IUD and LOVE IT. I was on Yasmin for years and will never go back to hormonal contraception now that I have had such a positive experience with Paraguard. No side effects and I have had it for three months.
  • stef_3
    stef_3 Posts: 173
    Options
    I got Mirena back in June and I didn't gain any weight, however, I did stay the same weight for about 3 months. I have since started the 30 day shred, MFP and am still running 3 days a week and in the past 2 weeks I lost 5lbs. My body may have hit a plateau though cuz I lost 25lbs pretty fast from Apr-June. So I'm not sure if it was just my body or the Mirena that caused the 3 month drought. Hope this helps
  • WMilton
    Options
    I have had the mirena for a year now and have gained about 10lbs. I'm not sure if I can blame it all on mirena but I am at my heaviest weight that I've ever been. I know I've made some bad food choices but I do believe that mirena is part of the reason for the weight gain. Other than weight gain I like the mirena.
  • NurseHthr
    NurseHthr Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure. I was in the process of healing from a c section and a BRUTAL labour an delivery when I had Mirena put in. I haven't been able to lose much since i stopped breastfeeding. I just had it removed a couple of days ago and I am really hoping I see some movement on the scale. I'll keep you posted :)
  • sunshine012404
    Options
    I have had the Mirena for 3 1/2 years and losing weight on it is nearly impossible. After I had my son I lost weight soo quickly it was flying off, then after 6 weeks I had Mirena put in and it was like a screeching halt. Instead of continuing to lose I started to gain. I have to be REALLY careful or else I will gain so easily. The more frustrating part though is not losing weight. I exercise a lot and have even trained for a few half marathons in the last couple years and at most I usually fluxuate up and down 5 pounds. Its really frustrating.

One thing that is a plus for the Mirena is I do not have a period. I spot occasionally, and PMS, but I do not get a regular period. That part I have to say is a huge plus.