Biochemistry answers to weight loss questions: Where does the weight go?

Options
13»

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Co-author on that article is the Ruben that has the youtube video discussion of the same. So no wonder it's good.
    But still good of CNN to keep what he said.

https://youtu.be/vuIlsN32WaE
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,866 Member
    Options
    Swoon-y good, Aaron, yet again! Any time you feel inspired to contribute this sort of thing, I want to read it. Thanks!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Not that I doubted this at all it is repeated on CNN today according to Big Fat Myths: When You Lose Weight, Where Does the Fat Go? which is an interesting perspective on "diet" 148oz / 9.25 lbs of food/water/oxygen a day but depending on how efficient everything processes we don't operate on a perfect 24 hour cycle to use all that so you get those fluctuations. I think that is semi comforting to keep in mind we are not robots and CICO doesn't operate at perfect 24 hour scale either.

That seems like a surprisingly reasonable and understandable article for a mainstream news source. @Aaron_K123 or @PAV8888, I’d be curious of your takes on that CNN article. I think it might be handy to add to my link library.

@MegaMooseEsq It looks accurate to me...and I agree, surprising for a media outlet. They typically suck at conveying anything scientific.

It also goes into some more detail, that chart of "Everything you eat and where it all goes" is quite nice. One thing it leaves out is that some of your food mass is not digestable and is excreted in feces but as I said in my post that isn't really technically "in" you ever, it is just passing through you.

But yeah, people have the mistaken idea that all of the "weight" is in the food when in fact food is a small percentage of mass exchange in your body, most is water and air.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,940 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Nice article it looks. Seems reasonable enough so far! No quivering alert antennas. But I note Moose that my biochemical understanding would be just enough to.... fail to meet the pre-requisites for the introduction to biochemistry for art majors course Aaron would be forced to teach as a penance for ticking off the Dean during a meeting! :blush:
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,991 Member
    Options
    Interesting discussion.

I barely got a C in biochem in college but this info confirms most of what I believed about how the body makes use of the food we eat and store in our body.

The surprise for me was that all of it, except for the fiber and otherwise undigestable parts that are excreted and the excess that is retained as glycogen or fat, is expelled as CO2 and H20.

Does this explain why I pee so much? LOL!

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Not that I doubted this at all it is repeated on CNN today according to Big Fat Myths: When You Lose Weight, Where Does the Fat Go? which is an interesting perspective on "diet" 148oz / 9.25 lbs of food/water/oxygen a day but depending on how efficient everything processes we don't operate on a perfect 24 hour cycle to use all that so you get those fluctuations. I think that is semi comforting to keep in mind we are not robots and CICO doesn't operate at perfect 24 hour scale either.

That seems like a surprisingly reasonable and understandable article for a mainstream news source. @Aaron_K123 or @PAV8888, I’d be curious of your takes on that CNN article. I think it might be handy to add to my link library.

@MegaMooseEsq It looks accurate to me...and I agree, surprising for a media outlet. They typically suck at conveying anything scientific.

It also goes into some more detail, that chart of "Everything you eat and where it all goes" is quite nice. One thing it leaves out is that some of your food mass is not digestable and is excreted in feces but as I said in my post that isn't really technically "in" you ever, it is just passing through you.

But yeah, people have the mistaken idea that all of the "weight" is in the food when in fact food is a small percentage of mass exchange in your body, most is water and air.

That chart stood out to me as well. I always appreciate a good graphic.
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Nice article it looks. Seems reasonable enough so far! No quivering alert antennas. But I note Moose that my biochemical understanding would be just enough to.... fail to meet the pre-requisites for the introduction to biochemistry for art majors course Aaron would be forced to teach as a penance for ticking off the Dean during a meeting! :blush:

That might be the case, but you've still fooled me into thinking you seem like the reasonable type whose opinion is worth paying attention to. ;)
  • noumena_
    noumena_ Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    This is awesome. I'm also developing a crush on Aaron. <3
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Co-author on that article is the Ruben that has the youtube video discussion of the same. So no wonder it's good.
    But still good of CNN to keep what he said.

https://youtu.be/vuIlsN32WaE

Yeah that TED talk explaining it is pretty good.
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,649 Member
    Options
    Well... This is cool and all... But I'm still gonna weigh after a really good poop. Cuz... #progress

Hahaha
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    this was really interesting. what I find fascinating is that there are people who think this piece of molecular machinery came together by accident.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,866 Member
    Options
    Binkie1955 wrote: »
    this was really interesting. what I find fascinating is that there are people who think this piece of molecular machinery came together by accident.

Not accident. Creeping incrementalism.

Only question is whether someone/something pushed the first domino.

• boehmma
    boehmma Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey Aaron, thanks for this post. I understood enough to get that there are scientific reasons for consuming less than you expend and that exercise contributes to that expenditure. Maybe this will help me meet my goals and also exercise more! :)
  • andysport1
    andysport1 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Is the simple answer
    1. Maintain calories at metabolic rate
    2. Increase heart rate, breathing as frequently as possible.

Long term improve vo²

???