Help with hunger!

Options
I am trying to lose weight and was given 1500 calories. I seem to do pretty well during the day, but after dinner I want to snack on EVERYTHING. I don't know if I need to adjust what I eat during the day and eat more in the evening?

Replies

• brouillette
    brouillette Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I’m having the same issue
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,628 Member
    Options
    Try having dinner a little later. That can mean starting eating in the morning later and pushing your meals later in the day and evening or use Intermittent Fasting. Food choices are also important. When you’re low cal satiety is a huge factor with what you’re eating and be sure not to drink your calories.

The things you snack on just don’t buy anymore. Out of sight, out of mind.
  • benhmorris63
    benhmorris63 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I found that by adding more calories and moving more (walking, then running), I lost the weight I wanted to lose and began feeling better without starving. I started out looking at calories. Fewer calories in than out, right? But exercise is a key component that a lot of folks want to skip. But here's the thing...the more you move, the more you can eat. For my food intake, I try to focus mostly on micronutrients for a healthy diet. You can lose weight on a diet of Twinkies. Just eat fewer calories than you burn. It will work and you will lose weight, but your body will suffer in the long run. You can also focus on macros, but I can easily hit my macros on a diet of bacon and potato chips. Again, not a good long term plan for my body. But aiming for the micronutrients, I get the macros and calories I need almost automatically and my weight stays where I want it. But I have to keep moving. Our bodies have needs and calories alone do not define or satisfy those needs. Calories, macros, micronutrients, and exercise have to all be a part of the plan. It's a lifestyle choice. Exercise and diet go hand in hand for maintaining a healthy weight and body for life.
  • RMcCabe3174
    RMcCabe3174 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have been eating 1500 calories since mid January. I did 1200 calories for the first two weeks to see modify my habits. I allow myself 1800 calories on Date Night with my bride of 37 years. (It’s usually Friday night but it’s flexible).

I stay away from white flour as much as possible. Whole wheat pasta or brown rice - no more than twice a week. (I love my low carb flour tortillas!)

High Glycemic Index foods cause a sugar spike for me which is great for my craving short term, but when that falls a short time later - I stay hungry the rest of the day!

I break my eating into five sometimes six sections. Three meals and two snack periods. The snack periods are between breakfast and lunch and lunch and dinner. Snacks usually consist of high protein 100-125 calorie snacks. (Hard boiled egg in a 20 calorie low carb wrap is my afternoon goto!)

The sixth snack is an occasional late treat if I have calories remaining. It may be a low carb beer, a glass of wine, or a bowl of strawberries and blueberries.

As of this morning I have lost 53 pounds since January and 75 since this time last summer. From a 46 waist pants to a loose 36 waist - tried on some 34 waist this week, but not quite comfortable yet.

Don’t diet! Change your lifestyle

Drug addicts stop taking drugs.
    Alcoholics stop drinking alcohol.
    Food-aholics can stop eating! We have to train.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,924 Member
    Options
    Yeah, calorie restriction is problematic over the long haul for sure, otherwise it would have shown better efficacy than around 5%. Most of that is hunger signaling effecting our satiety which is mostly hormonal, and snacking on "everything" generally means "junk" and the food industrial complex has had that covered for decades, they win, we lose.

I would suggest moving to a diet that focus's more on protein than what is normally recommended and quality protein, also to replace as much of any processed food with whole foods which plays a big role in those hunger hormones I mentioned. Basically the goal is to be in a caloric deficit, while feeling generally pretty satiated. I would probably consume mostly protein and veg only and lots of them for that last dinner meal which allows for more of the thermic effect to take place which should quell hunger hopefully up to bedtime. cheers.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    jgonder914 wrote: »
    I am trying to lose weight and was given 1500 calories. I seem to do pretty well during the day, but after dinner I want to snack on EVERYTHING. I don't know if I need to adjust what I eat during the day and eat more in the evening?

We will be able to give you the best advice if your food diary was set to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings In the app, go to Settings > Diary Setting > Diary Sharing > and check Public.

Also, how tall are you and what is your current and goal weights?

If you exercise, how many exercise calories do you earn on average and how many of them do you eat back?
  • gininthegym
    gininthegym Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Who gave you 1500 calories?

The best way is to calculate your TDEE and then work out how much you need to amend this -to gain or lose weight.

MFP tends to allocate a standard amount of calories which is not always suitable.
  • liz_ann13
    liz_ann13 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    This has happened to me before and what worked to break the habit is moving dinner back by an hour or two, and then when my craving for snacking would get really bad I'd move to bed where there is no food allowed. The change of scenery also helped since my habit was to snack in front of the TV.

I also agree with some of the other advice of looking into what you are eating and seeing if you can replace some foods with more protein, complex carbs, and veggies. A satisfying dinner really helped me turn down a snack that would send me over my calorie goal.
  • 135by60
    135by60 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    1. Make sure you're consuming enough protein throughout your day as protein keeps you feeling fuller for longer.
    2. Don't consume empty calories. If it doesn't have a decent amount of protein and/or other nutrients, don't consume it. This goes for everything you drink too. And don't forget about gum, hard candies, etc. Log everything you put in your mouth and see what you can cut out.
    3. High protein does not have to mean high in calories. Choose high protein foods that aren't super calorie-heavy.
    4. Don't eat if you aren't hungry. Are you eating breakfast just because you've been told you should but you aren't hungry? Maybe a protein bar or a piece of fruit is enough to get you through to lunch time.
    5. Eat slowly. Not, like, slow motion but take your time, chew thoroughly and actually taste the food.
    6. Stop eating when you're full, even if there is food left on your plate. Wrap up what's left, put it in the fridge and if you're hungry later, eat that instead of an empty-calorie snack.
    7. Don't eat as soon as you feel hungry. Sit with the feeling for awhile and drink water. I find that when I stop and think about it, I notice that my mouth is hungry but my stomach isn't. Find something very low-cal that can satisfy your mouth-hunger.

Overall, just make all your calories count. Don't waste calories on un-nutritious crap.

One of my favorite treats is a fruit-flavored yogurt with cool whip (I keep the cool whip in the freezer). A decent sized bowl is 80 calories and very yummy. I like Source yogurt as it's 0% fat, no sugar added and it's got a nice little protein hit along with some other nutrients.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    If you say MFP has given you 1500 calories, then it's because the choices you made. Your calorie goal is calculated based on gender, age, size, weight, and the weightloss goal you chose. You can't change the others, but you can change your goal. If 1500 is too little for you then chose a less severe loss goal. Simples. Or just eat 100 calories more each day and have a snack after dinner.