Issues with calories!

Lightbeamer
Lightbeamer Posts: 49 Member
edited June 2023 in Health and Weight Loss
I am having robust meals. However, I am 1012 kcals (from today) or more in a deficit.

Even though I am male, and should have at least 1550 kcals, I am having a hard time getting the kcals, because of the fat column. I am about 1300 kcals available, even though I have some big stuff on my food diary. I should switch to veggies, and meats like stir fry and such, but I don't want to get prepackaged because of salt.

I am also trying to phase out the sodium too. Too many things have insane amounts of sodium! Fats and Sodium are my issue. I just want to lose weight! lol

Replies

• herringboxes
    herringboxes Posts: 259 Member
    You want more fats? Olive oil is your friend. Hundreds of calories goes down like nuthin’.
  • Lightbeamer
    Thank you! What do you suggest instead of stir-fry in a bag? lol
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    edited June 2023
    I don't understand your post. Weight loss is about calories. Fat doesn't make you fat within calorie limits, and you need a certain amount of fat. When I was losing 80 pounds I was eating 40-50% of my calories from fat. I didn't limit my salt, it just took care of itself with by my choosing mostly whole foods and fresh or frozen vegetables. I did limit prepared foods and breads and those are high salt.

If you want calories, fats are the way to go for a smaller amount of food. Cheese, oil, butter, full fat dairy, eggs, hamburger, some cuts of pork and beef, some fish like salmon, any kind of nuts or nut butters.

As far as vegetables, stir fry in a bag is low salt and low calorie/fat. Don't buy the ones with sauce, just buy frozen mixed stir fry vegetables. Read the labels before you buy it. Add chicken or other protein and a little sauce, either from a bottle or homemade with spices and oil. You can control the salt and fat by using bottles or homemade. Homemade stir fry sauce is super easy, just go to allrecipes.com and look at a recipe. Salt isn't bad in moderation and you need a certain amount of fat for proper body function.

What is your actual problem? Calories or cooking? Cooking is easy, I don't spend more than 20 minutes on any of the meals I prepare (other than waiting for some things to cook, like rice or potatoes.)
  • Lightbeamer
    My actual problem is salt. I drink about 64 ounces of water to 'cleanse' it out. I'm sorry if the post wasn't clear. I've been having schizophrenic episodes with a lot more frequency lately. Olive oil seems to be the answer when it comes to stir-fry's and such.

I lost 120 pounds in 2004, and now I want that old weight gone. I am 254 right now and am diabetic. I just need some work on things. I followed an online food program from Men's Health. Sadly, it is no longer available.

Setting up food when you don't have a guide to go by is difficult. Burt what you both said is very helpful! Sorry.... I've been freaking out lately.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    edited June 2023
    There are meal plans online.

Salt - Just cut back on bread and lunch meat and anything that comes in a can or bottle. Try eating oats and fruit with some milk and nuts for breakfast, or yogurt with oats and fruit - then you can have a dinner with a larger proportion of salt if you sort of "save up" for it.

I don't have a meal plan. I do have quite a few favorite meals and the key is to have some of the basics in the pantry or refrigerator. I try very hard to stay under the recommended 2300 for salt, but do you need to be lower than that?

If you have to limit salt for medical reasons like diabetes, maybe your doctor can refer you to a Dietician for help setting up a meal plan. I would think that would be part of your diabetes care program.

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,408 Member
    I used to worry about salt, since I seem to eat a lot of it. But then it occurred to me, I work out a lot, and I’m a heavy sweater. I figure the higher than normal salt probably offsets the loss of salt from the sweating and they balance out.

Too little salt can be as much of a problem as too much, right?

Those prepared fresh stir fry mixes are fine. Most package the sauce separately. I often toss the sauce and substitute a little honey/ginger balsamic. It’s delicious and makes a very light, low cal sauce (although the sauces that come with my preferred brand are actually very low cal).
  • Lightbeamer
    It seems to be going well with the planning of olive oil. However, my issue mainly is calories. Even with the oil, my calories are still low. I understand salt. I just don't like the way it bloats me.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I'm wondering if you're eating more than you think you are. 1500 calories is an extremely easy target to reach. That's only 3x 500 calorie meals per day with no snacks. A 3 egg omlette with a little cheese, a serving of Coach's Oats, and a banana is right around 500 calories. I'm having 4 ounces of grilled boneless/skinless chicken thighs with 85 grams of sautéed broccoli and 140 grams of cooked rice with some honeydew for desert...that's right around 500 calories. My afternoon snack is typically a whole avocado and 200 grams of edamame...just my afternoon snack is almost 500 calories. If you're 254, you haven't had any issues eating well over 1500 calories in the past. Stop eating "diet food" and/or really check your diary for accuracy issues because 1500 calories is almost nothing.
  • Lightbeamer
    edited June 2023
    My father, brother and my mom have high blood pressure. I don't want it. I have enough meds with my schizophrenia. I have an appointment with my dietician in a week. We'll have to figure out an appropriate balance. Food nutrient balance is difficult for me.

I seem to be the only one in our family (even my sister has HBP) that is able to have good blood pressure, and I have managed to keep it that way. Technically, I want to lose weight to stop the Liver Fibrosis I have. Doctor said it may be too late, but now that I have a goal, I will do anything I can to put it to sleep. It is med induced (I am on 13 meds for my schizophrenia). Apparently my Humulin U500 insulin is the heavy hitter)

Anyway. I am a heavy sweater also. Thank you so much. All I knew is that sodium was bad for blood pressure if you eat too much. But I now understand the need for sodium. I read about a condition where there is too low sodium in the blood. Hyponatremia. Usually this happens to marathon runners, and people in triathlons.

As I lose the weight, I will train for a triathlon. I have one in mind next year. I will do what I can to make sure I am able to complete it. More questions for the liver doc, since the biopsy of my liver. My doc is terrified, he's never seen anything so bad. He defers to the liver doc. He has the notes.
  • herringboxes
    I’m impressed by your commitment, keep it up!

It’s worth doing the work to keep good health.

If HBP is not an issue for you, and your doctor didn’t recommend a low sodium diet, I’d say that should make things easier for you to find foods you like that help you hit your targets.

What kinds of foods do you like?
  • Lightbeamer
    I love veggies! Bell peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes... I've never had a veggie that I did not like.

I debated becoming a veggie, but I love steak. lol
  • herringboxes
    Do you like to cook? I love veggies and make aloo gobi and other curries, shakshuka, roasted vegetables, stir fry, etc.

Steak goes great with most of those! (Would not pair it with curry!)
  • Lightbeamer
    lol! I have never had curry. I love to cook, but I am lazy. I have tons of stuff to make stir-fry. Went to the store yesterday. Got two huge bags of frozen veggies, and a lot of steak and chicken.
  • Lightbeamer
    I just had to look up the shakshuka recipe. It looks heavenly! Are you on the Mediterranean Diet? My liver PA said that all other diets were bad than the Mediterranean Diet.

It looks fantastic! I found the pic for shakshuka at themediterraneandish.com
  • Lightbeamer
    I wonder if the admins think that the thread here needs to be moved. lol
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    edited June 2023
    I love veggies! Bell peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes... I've never had a veggie that I did not like.

I debated becoming a veggie, but I love steak. lol

Then stir fries sound like great meals for you! By mixing up the veggies, meat, and spices/cuisines, you have endless varieties :)

I googled "stir fry Mediterranean diet" and found this, which looks yummy. If you don't have barley, you could use rice. https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/mediterranean-chicken-stir-fry/

Here's a "framework" plus recipe: https://www.mediterraneandietmealplans.com/blogs/recipes/mediterranean-stir-fry

I've been using a variation on that for years as a way of using up excess cooked chicken or turkey.
    I wonder if the admins think that the thread here needs to be moved. lol

Naw, this location is fine :smiley:
  • herringboxes
    I’m not strictly eating Mediterranean, but I agree that and traditional Japanese diets are probably ideal. I like curries as well, and I make those vegetarian (chick peas or lentils and lots of vegetables).

I only heard of shakshuka last year and gave it a try and loved it. Since you like peppers, tomato, and cucumber, be sure to include those! I like to spice it with cumin. It qualifies as Mediterranean.

Do you like fish? I like to cook a filet on a griddle with zucchini pieces, add garlic, lemon, and olive oil - maybe a splash of milk or cream at the end.
  • Lightbeamer
    I'd cook on a grill (with help). I have an entire bag of bakeable salmon too.

So many good ideas!
  • herringboxes
    One thought - are you sure you’re tracking your calories fairly accurately?

1550 calories should be very easy to get to.

If keeping up with counting calories is difficult for you, would you be able to keep track of how you are feeling? I don’t track calories myself, but seem to manage to eat around the same amount daily. I lost weight while eating juuuust enough to feel not actively hungry anymore - but never “full.”
  • Lightbeamer
    I am so used to 'full' feeling, that I don't know when my stomach says 'OK, you are satisfied. I don't want anymore.' It's hard to admit when you cannot handle no being full. Like last night, I felt fine with the stir-fry I had, and then I bolted and ate a bunch of chips.