Apple Watch Calorie Adjustment + Exercise Calories

Options
I am lost on how to set up my apple watch to MyFitnessPal to optimize the accuracy of the calories I get. I move a lot because of my job and I usually do around 2 hours of intentional walking a day. I am tracking my weight and calories to get an idea of how accurate the adjustment is, but I was wondering if anyone has had success by setting their exercise adjustments a certain way. I worry that NEAT & intentional exercise maybe overlapping as well.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,872 Member
    Options
    Apple's implementation is somewhat questionable, but in general, a tracker synched to MFP should end up adjusting your calorie goal by believing the total calories burned that the tracker sees (by the end of the day), comparing that to what MFP expected you to burn based on your profile settings (including activity level but not the exercise goals). It would then adjust your goal to keep the deficit you told MFP you wanted to have for X amount of weight loss per week, subject to the 1200/1500 calorie minimums for women/men.

However, it won't give you negative adjustments unless you've enabled negative adjustments in MFP.

There's some variation based on tracker brand/model, but in general if you don't log exercise manually in MFP, but rather just let the calorie adjustment do its thing, plus you do have negative adjustments enabled, you won't double count exercise/NEAT.

During the day - before the final adjustment of the day - there may be some adjustments based on predicted calorie burn based on your activity to that point. By end of day, the reconciliation should be taking place at the total calories level.
  • AppleFitnessfan
    AppleFitnessfan Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I posted in this thread about my syncing my Apple Watch with MFP. As far as I can tell, as long as you’ve given permission for MFP to read both workouts and steps in the Apple Health APP, and use steps from the Apple Watch in MFP settings you should receive the correct calorie adjustments for the day.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10891632/activity-data-from-apple-watch