How can i gain weight overnight

Options
Hi all!

I just wanted to ask a broad question because quite frankly it’s starting to annoy me 🤣

So yesterday I was 12 stone 10.9, went the gym for an hour doing weights and 20 mins incline walk, ate hardly anything because I was rushed, then went for a family bbq had one burger and tons of salad so basically an on plan dinner.

Then I wake up this morning to 12 stone 12.12lbs and i checked 3 times this happens all the time Where I’ve been on plan all week and out of nowhere I gain and then it makes me feel like I can’t actually have my “cheat meal” which I always save for the weekend as I’ll just gain more.

Can anyone advice? I know loosing weight is a long process but it’s happening weekly now and I feel like I’m getting nowhere

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Probably just water weight. Have you lost any weight since you started?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,886 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    If one meal on the weekend is adding to your weekly weight increase tally, then your calculated weekly caloric intake is wrong and too high, one meal doesn't do that. If your in a caloric deficit of 500 calories a day that means that one meal on the weekend would need to be in the 7000+ calories, and I love BBQ as much as the next person, but pretty sure I couldn't eat that much. Food has weight and so does poo and pee and for every gram of carbs you consumed your body is holding on to 3x that in water just to annoy people that weight themselves everyday. Cheers.
  • DFW_Tom
    DFW_Tom Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    There is a difference between weight gain and fat gain even though the terms are used interchangeably. Adding a couple of pounds of weight from one day to the next is nothing. Happens all the time for all the reasons you already know: food still being digested, extra water retention from beer/alcohol, the hydro part of carbohydrates that you might not normally eat but are storing short term until they are expended. Lots of causes of water retention: type of food/drink consumed, digestion moving slower than usual, hard workouts, injuries, infections, increased salt intake and to mess with our bathroom scales just to annoy us some mornings.

Don't worry about it and stick to your meal plan if it is working for you.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Water weight and food waste in your digestive tract are likely culprits for short-term fluctuations.
    Have you tried a weight trending app like Libra or Happyscale?
    They can help you figure out your real weight trend by filtering out the fluctuations.
  • michaellawrie9345
    michaellawrie9345 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Weigh yourself daily, but don’t concern yourself with individual days, concern yourself with the trend over the week and month.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,425 Member
    Options
    q5v8fkrdyko5.jpeg

This is my scale graph. I flew back from the west coast last Tuesday. By Saturday morning, I had “lost” almost eight and a half pounds.

It’s just water weight, easily seen in this real life example.

Airplane cabin pressure can cause the scale to bounce up.

You can “gain” weight from exercise, particularly exercise which causes muscle soreness. Why? Your body retains water and directs it to the sore areas for repair and healing. Waddling like a duck after legs day? Expect a substantial amount of water gain.

Your monthly cycle can cause water fluctuations (duh!), as can emotional stress, gastric distress, salty foods (did you have a salty burger at that BBQ?), surgery (see healing, above), illness, long car trips, even allergy attacks.

If you’re gnawing on your weight every single day, either back off the weighing, or do like I do, and treat it as a fun science experiment, and an opportunity to learn about your body.