juice cleanse?

Options
are juice cleanses medically proven??
i don't want any answers like yeah it;s unhealthyjust because you hear it often...

would it matter if i used organic products or no?
i wana do the lemonade cleanse

Replies

• DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I've done the juice cleanse a few times over the past year and a half. Actually more of a juice fast to speed things up. It's a pretty good approach, but you do get hungry. So have some raw fruits and veggies around if you think you're going to lose it if you don't eat something. Then at least you stay within the spirit of the fast.

Have a look at this site. http://www.juicecleansenow.com/

I was going to use my juicer and try to do it on my own. But, I opted instead to go with the organic superfood line from Odwalla. Naked Juice also has similar super food products. They include both fruits and vegetables and come in different blends intended for different things like energy, cleansing, etc. It's expensive stuff. But not really more expensive than all the produce it takes to pull off a juice fast.

Good luck. I hope it does some good for you.
  • jblaine00
    jblaine00 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you get my reply twice, it is because I hit the wrong key and my post went into outer space I guess because I cannot find it.

I did the lemonade cleanse in 2006-2007 for 10 days and it is good. The book, The Master Cleanser by Stanley Burroughs is the authority on this cleanse. I used fresh lemons because I never could get an answer to using bottled lemon juice. Days 3 and 8 or 9 were the days that tested my determination. Don't do as I did and have family over for dinner on day 11 and think you can eat--you will feel pain. If I try this again (and would like to do it about every 4 months), I would eat, just not a whole burger plus for my first meal. My lifestyle at this time makes it difficult to find 10 days in a row at home.
  • someonelikemyself
    Options
    Ohh thanks for the link!!! i will definitely consider trying one from it.

as for the second reply don't worry you replied once, i like how the cleanse has positive reviews and i feel sorry for you as i have the same issue regarding family being over!!! i just pig out it's unbelievable

goodluck =)
  • Cseemo
    Cseemo Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of 'Fad Diets' and such but I saw a movie on Netflix back in late July called "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead". In that movie an Australian films himself on a 60 Day Juice Cleanse and does it supervised by several doctors, including MDs.

The science goes that when you take in large amounts of micro-nutrients that are very dense in nutrition via fresh vegetable juices (Mostly leafy greens) you supply your body with all of the necessary micro-nutrients to replenish your immune system and revitalize your cells. They call it a "Reboot".

Anyhow the movie is AWESOME, I've since watched it 4 times and have gotten at least a half dozen others to watch it as well. I began a Reboot on August 1st so I am going to give you my honest feedback and a quick rundown of me.

Male, 31 years old who LOVES to eat. I love sweets, fried foods, you name it. If you are looking for me at midnight I'm probably on the couch watching TV and eating Ben n Jerry's. I rarely exercise and work in a very stressful environment so I tend to eat fast food at odd hours.

Today is Day 55 on NOTHING but Fresh Vegetable/Fruit juice and water.

I feel healthier than I have in many years
    I have lost 55 pounds
    I enjoy exercise on a daily basis
    I no longer crave sweets
    I am craving healthy things like seafood, chicken, stir fry, etc
    I sleep better
    My joints feel better
    My muscles don't ache in the morning anymore
    I don't crave soda (Used to take down at least 1 gallon of Diet Pepse/Mountain Dew, etc per day)

I'm not saying a 60 Day journey is right for you but I would recommend watching the movie or at least checking out the website.

As far as the Lemonade cleanse goes...sounds like a Fad Diet w/ very low nutrition and calories so you will lose weight but it will probably not be sustainable...just my $.02.
  • Cseemo
    Options
    A few guys in my office saw the results that I was having on the Juice Fast (Along with my co-worker Kevin, who is also joining me) and they wanted to get similar results so they drink a Superfood Odwalla Green Juice for their morning breakfast -- they rave about the results.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I think the lemonade (master) cleanse proves that your body can survive for quite some time without food but the bottom line is that there are no nutrients in the 'lemonade'. I know people who have done it and say they get a 'high' and sense of clarity after a few days. They have all put the weight lost straight back on and do it more for a meditation/spiritual experience than for physical health. This is absolutely fine, as long as mental clarity rather than weight loss is your goal.

I decided to do something less extreme by following the 7lbs in 7 Days Super Juice Diet by Jason Vale. I gave up after two days as I felt lightheaded, sick and the tiny amount I was getting out of the veg and fruit when juicing meant it was costing a fortune. I was absolutely ravenous and just couldn't carry on with my day-to-day life and perform well at work (I don't have time to wait for a few days for it to 'click' and for things to get better as I'm in a high-pressure job).

Would love to know if other people on MFP have done juice fasts and overcome these issues.
  • someonelikemyself
    Options
    @Cseema i will definitely watch that movie soon i'm not going to try the lemon cleanse just any... I just want to basically have juices and fruits and veggies.. Thanks for the motivation and for sharing your experience that sounds awesome 55 POUNDS!!
  • someonelikemyself
    Options
    Oh and as for the last post, i just want a cleanse to treat the binge eating issue i had for 10 days now!!! and to feel mentally healthier/motivated i feel ugly and fat from the way i'm eating lately ... i guess people that want to do a cleanse should be in "need" for it rather than in the "mood"

goodluck!!
  • Cseemo
    Options
    Did you complete your 10 day Juice Cleanse?
  • PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Options
    It never ceases to amaze me the amount of nonsensical things that people will do to avoid simply eating less and exercising more.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    It never ceases to amaze me the amount of nonsensical things that people will do to avoid simply eating less and exercising more.

I haven't made a sig yet but this might be it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    are juice cleanses medically proven??
    Quick answer: NO.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I want to do the swirl Margarita cleanse
  • Schwiggs
    Schwiggs Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Do a juice cleanse, and GET SKEETED ON!
  • pamgreen1
    Options
    fads like the master cleanse do not give you the nourishment your body needs to be healthy. juice cleanses, howeever, are completely different. they are nutritional and offer your body substantial calories so your body has the energy to repair itself while the diggestive system is resting. definitely check out "fat sick and nearly dead" - its a great film about the medical benefits of juice fasting and it chronicles two men as they each go about a jucie cleanse- each for different reasons. it is very inspriing and informative. if you are interested in detoxing and jucie fasts,i would use fresh pressed juices - and not naked or odwalla juices- as fresh pressed juices have live enzymes to aid in digestion and are unpasteurized. (pasteurization kills vitamins and nutrients.)
    the 3 day cleanse book is awesome. it was written by the founders of BlueprintCleanse, and has a lot of great information about the medical benefits of cleansing, juice recipes, etc. i recently did my own juice cleanse and used their book as a guide. i felt amazing. i slept better and had more energy, but the benefit i liked th emost was i was more aware of what i put in my body and how differrent foods affected me. it was a LOT of work to make my own juices and took a lot of time, BUT WORTH IT!! if you dont have a juicer, blueprintcleanse delivers. they have been in the press a lot and have a registered dietician to answer questions you may have. good luck! i hope this was helpful to you.
  • Cseemo
    Options

This quote is quite vague but I would like to point out to all of those people out there who feel hopeless about their weight that you may need to do something drastic like a Juice Fast (Lots of Fresh Vegetable/Fruit Juice for NUTRIENTS) to get you started and to build up some momentum.

I can tell you that I was up over 320lbs and felt like I would never be able to lose the weight...2lbs per week eating salads and tofu just didn't seem worth it. After I watched "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" I sat there trying to find a single reason NOT to do a 60 Day Reboot...after much time spent pondering that single question I found the ONLY answer..."I love food. I love to eat bad foods and too much of them." -- that was enough for me to know that I NEEDED to do the Juice Fast.

After 60 days I have a whole new respect for myself and my will-power. I can now go through the day and see temptations like ice cream, candy, pretzels, pizza, soda etc and not feel any 'craving' for them. I know that if I really want one I can have it, but the truth is I went 60 days without ANY food -- why the heck can't I skip that Snickers bar??

Now I sit at 235lbs exercising on a regular basis and monitoring the way I eat using Myfitnesspal. I find myself desiring healthy foods and not having any desire to eat fast-food, junk food, etc. I had done several diets before this including Low Calorie, Low Carb, Atkins, etc, etc and NEVER did I get this type of a mental stimulation.

The bottom line is you must do what works for you and I have turned on at least a dozen people to Juicing and the "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" movie (Netflix Streaming or DVD) and they have ALL had positive outcomes. Some juice once a week, others have done 5 day Juice Fasts and one has completed a 60 day Juice Fast just like me.

Best of Luck to EVERYONE!! :)
  • Cseemo
    Options
    :glasses: